Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There are trees in Kansas, yes, but not really woods like there are here in upper Michigan. (They don't call me Kansas IN Kansas...)
:)

I get 1-2 bars at home. Works well enough so far...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, this will be more to the point....are there any real problems with using wifi as a "primary" means of connecting? Or should I use the 3g primarily and use the wifi as a last resort?

In my experience, there have been a couple of minor problems with wifi. First is that it depends on where you are using it. For example, I was at Borders Books using their "free" wifi. I saw a book and I wanted to use the Amazon.com app to check their price. Nope, network outage. Same for Savvysearch. Those I could understand, but BettrFlickr didn't work either. I turned off wifi and it all worked. At the Del Mar fairgrounds, using their free wifi, I couldn't access the network for Speedtest. With McDonalds AT&T free wifi, I couldn't get to the Market. A private wifi should be better than free, at least for accessing you apps. I understand that if you have Yahoo mail, you can't access it with wifi as it uses the same port. Just be aware that if you're on wifi, an app may not work.

I also understand that wifi, while it isn't using your Verizon data, does use more power. Maybe not much, but it's a separate radio in the Droid.

I don't have wifi at home and can use it at work in only one building. When I do find I have a wifi connection though, I use it, especially with the Market. I can see if there are any updates for my apps and can get them downloaded quickly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can anyone provide a brief summary of 3g and wifi?
What are the pros and cons between them?
Also, as far as the Droid and its many functions and applications, which one of the two are better to use?
I'm asking because I am a complete rookie when it comes to tech stuff.

You've got a GOOGLE phone! Google it! Haha! No, but seriously...

3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wi-Fi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone else, feel free to correct me on the following...

Basically, 3g is your connection to the cell network.

WiFi is your connection to a network...think of this like a laptop computer connecting to a network at Starbucks or anywhere else with free wifi.

Which one is better to use is really a question of what you're planning to do.

Personally, while I'm at home [where I have a secured wireless network setup], I use WiFi. This is MOSTLY because the coverage is iffy in my area. This ensures that my calls and texts go through and come through.

Additionally, if you're browsing the web and/or downloading things, the speed is considerably faster on WiFi, as it's utilizing the power of the internet connection, instead of talking to cell towers. Obviously, you're going to be closer to the router that's wired up to the internet than you will be to the tower.

If you don't have WiFi available at home, work, local McDonald's, etc, 3g is still the fastest you can download things on a cell phone that's not WiFi compatible.

If you've got full bars most of the time, then 3g is perfectly fine to use and certainly fast enough for downloading apps, pictures and etc. [I'm speaking as someone who had T-mobile's G1 in a non-3g area, and still had no problem browsing the web and downloading things, although it was sluggish.]

Hope that clears things up. Your question was a little bit broad, so if you have something more specific you're wondering about, please feel free to add, or if the information I've given brings up another question!

Thanks for the excellent explaination..answerer some of my own questions