3g and wifi

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by thehulk20, Jan 30, 2010.

1. thehulk20

thehulk20 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone provide a brief summary of 3g and wifi?
    What are the pros and cons between them?
    Also, as far as the Droid and its many functions and applications, which one of the two are better to use?
    I'm asking because I am a complete rookie when it comes to tech stuff.

2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,387
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    You've got a GOOGLE phone! Google it! Haha! No, but seriously...

3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wi-Fi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone else, feel free to correct me on the following...

Basically, 3g is your connection to the cell network.

WiFi is your connection to a network...think of this like a laptop computer connecting to a network at Starbucks or anywhere else with free wifi.

Which one is better to use is really a question of what you're planning to do.

Personally, while I'm at home [where I have a secured wireless network setup], I use WiFi. This is MOSTLY because the coverage is iffy in my area. This ensures that my calls and texts go through and come through.

Additionally, if you're browsing the web and/or downloading things, the speed is considerably faster on WiFi, as it's utilizing the power of the internet connection, instead of talking to cell towers. Obviously, you're going to be closer to the router that's wired up to the internet than you will be to the tower.

If you don't have WiFi available at home, work, local McDonald's, etc, 3g is still the fastest you can download things on a cell phone that's not WiFi compatible.

If you've got full bars most of the time, then 3g is perfectly fine to use and certainly fast enough for downloading apps, pictures and etc. [I'm speaking as someone who had T-mobile's G1 in a non-3g area, and still had no problem browsing the web and downloading things, although it was sluggish.]

Hope that clears things up. Your question was a little bit broad, so if you have something more specific you're wondering about, please feel free to add, or if the information I've given brings up another question!

3. DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Wifi for me at home is considerably faster for downloding web pages and media than 3G. I only get one or two bars for 3G out here in the sticks.

4. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,387
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    We're in the same boat then! I don't think I've used WiFi on my Droid somewhere that I get FULL 3G bars, but from everything I gather, unless the internet connection is terrible on the wireless network, WiFi is definitely faster either way.

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I think it is. I only get 1 bar but if my connection to my wifi is solid and all the bars there light up (on the wifi indicator) it will blow 3G away.

My problem is sometimes I get great WiFi and sometimes I don't. Last night it was super, best I'd ever seen it and there is no rhyme or reason why.

6. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,387
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Same here, but I get full 3G bars at work, and I'm always surprised by the fact that I notice a difference in the speed of that Vs. full WiFi connection...[ie, 3G is fast, but noticeably slower than WiFi]

7. thehulk20

thehulk20 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the reply. Sorry I was vague.
    I just recently chose the wifi route due to lack of a good signal. Actually, I went the wifi route by accident, but, it helped me establish a connection as opposed to the 3g.
    Hopefully, this will be more to the point....are there any real problems with using wifi as a "primary" means of connecting? Or should I use the 3g primarily and use the wifi as a last resort?

8. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,387
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Not at all. If I happen to not have WiFi on during a call and am getting crappy reception, I turn it on and it gets better.

As well, when I moved out of T-mobile's coverage area, they asked me if I had WiFi available, because they could still offer me service that way. [I told them no, because that got me out of the contract. Who wants a HOME phone anymore...? Haha!]

9. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Not quite. Unless you are using Skype or some other VOIP (voice over IP) solution, your "calls and texts" do not use WiFi. They always use Verizon's (or another carrier's) cell phone network. Data transfers, however, can use either the cell phone network or WiFi. For me (though not for everyone), WiFi is about 12 times faster than the 3G cell phone network. But unless you're streaming video or internet sites that make heavy use of images, you're unlikely to experience much difference.

10. CYBER DROIID

CYBER DROIID Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [quoteYou've got a GOOGLE phone! Google it! Haha! No, but seriously...][/quote]

Im not sure why but that really made me laugh.......lol duh...........

download speedtest from the market and test wifi verse 3g there is a huge difference.

11. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,387
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Well then it's a miracle that having no bars of cell service and activating WiFi seems to make the call quality better when I'm sitting still in a certain room of the house...Guess It's just my mind thinking it's better...

12. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,387
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Im not sure why but that really made me laugh.......lol duh...........[/QUOTE]

I couldn't help it. Please let the record show that I also offered a bit of information...I Wiki'd it for the OP...Haha!

[I'm not on my phone, but I AM using Google Chrome right now...]

Search tags for this page

3g wifi wikipedia

3g wifi wiki
android wifi slower than 3g
difference between 3g and wifi wikipedia

pros and cons of wifi and 3g