3D Printing?!

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How cool is this?

[video=youtube;ZboxMsSz5Aw]http://youtu.be/ZboxMsSz5Aw]YouTube - ‪3D Printer‬‏[/video]

3D printing is a form of additive manufacturing technology where a three dimensional object is created by laying down successive layers of material. 3D printers are generally faster, more affordable and easier to use than other additive manufacturing technologies. 3D printers offer product developers the ability to print parts and assemblies made of several materials with different mechanical and physical properties in a single build process. Advanced 3D printing technologies yield models that can serve as product prototypes.

jayman350

Reaction score
very very cool

I use SolidWorks here at work, and I would love to be able to produce a 3D prototype before actually going ahead with making a real part (I work almost exclusively in Stainless Steels and Aluminum, parts get very expensive very quickly). It really sucks when you look at something on the computer and it doesn't quite look the same as it does in real life. Having a 3d printer would help with that aspect of my job a lot.

I have had SW (or whatever reseller we have to go through) offer me a deal on one of those 3d printers, for the discounted price of $15,000!?!?! And it wasn't even the top of the line model. No idea what the paper/powder stock costs either.

I know its a cool idea, that could save a lot of money in machining, but its real tough to justify a purchase like that in today's economy.

Last edited:

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I used to model in 3D, and since college I always wished I could get my hands on one of these printers. There is a company out there (probably a few) that you can upload your model files to and they print them out and ship them to you, but I believe it is expensive for anything bigger than an inch haha... So awesome though!

I mostly wish I could use one because I work with really old photography film and to be able to 'design' my own masks and tools for film would be great...

ronaldsmack

Reaction score
Cool details and nice video! 3D printing allow people to create their own products, and to revolutionize many other aspects of our lives. There are quite a few 3d printers available and that they are gradually getting smaller and cheaper. I think even if the machines themselves are cheap but there is still a lot of money that will be paid out for the materials to print them as well as other things.