360 v2 Screen Protector

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
My scratched up Moto 360 v2 looks like new again thanks to this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01317DTGU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know some people swear by glass but I personally am not a big fan of glass. On a phone, either.
I really like these films. It totally covered the scratches on my watch. Comes with 6 and uses the wet application method, which I really like. The "feel" is perfect, almost glass like. On a scale of 1 to 10 and 10 being "glass" this would be a 9.5. Seriously. If I didn't tell you it wasn't glass, you wouldn't know by touch alone.
Pic shortly.

5/5

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the info Pere. based on your recommendation (9.5 out of 10...:)) I ordered a pack for my 360 Sport. I have not scratched it yet, but based on what I have read (including from you) these screens scratch easier than others. It took over a year to put the first real scratch on my G Watch.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
a6a924fc60dfa7641339a08edb48026d.jpg

Could not be more impressed. I do have one tiny bubble that you can really only see from this angle. I didn't really take my time or clean my work area at all. I still have 5 more though!
And look! No scratches! Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It looks like you had great success. applying films or glass screen protectors and getting a professional and undetectable application is not as easy as some may think. I know that wet application is widely used as perhaps the easiest way to do this, but I do a hybrid technique I developed which for me has proven it yields even better results than just water, with near perfect adhesion and zero trapped sediment or air.

First, a clean work environment is certainly recommended since any dirt trapped under the film will yield a bump or raised area in the film which not only detracts from the smoothness but also traps air surrounding the tiny particle resulting in a dot of black where the display's light is blocked from view, which then surrounded by a halo from the air pocket it creates by preventing direct adhesion at that exact spot. Even the smallest airborne dust can result in disappointing results.

I start by running hot water in the shower of the bathroom with the door closed. This causes steam to fill the air and this acts as a huge filter with the airborne water particles attaching themselves any airborne dust which then eventually falls to the ground. I wait till the steam has subsided and then begin the process of preparing to clean the glass surface of the device by aggressively washing and scrubbing my hands with soap and water.

Then I do a deep cleaning of the glass surface where the film will be applied. Often these films come with a small alcohol cleaning pad in a tear-open package. This is used as a last step in cleaning preceded by a damp cloth and a tiny amount of Dawn dishwashing detergent. For any really tough marks I use GooGone. As mentioned I then use an alcohol swab to remove any remaining reside and finally use a damp microfiber lens cleaner to pick up any remaining microscopic dust or fibers.

Finally, upon removing the film from its protective sheet I wet it, and then taking my finger tip I dab just a miniscule amount of Dawn onto the wet surface and smear it to cover the film's adhesive side completely. I try to use the tiniest amount of soap, whatever may be on the top of the soap dispenser, to only break the surface tension of the water and allow it to fully coat the film.

Applying soap in this added step does three things. First it assures that there will be no areas of the film that will not be wet, critical in getting trapped air out. Second, it acts as a lubricant to allow very easy and precise repositioning of the film after initial application so removal and reapplication is not necessary. Third, it allows for much less work when squeegeeing film to remove the water and air bubbles since the film remains somewhat lose making it easier for the soapy water to move under the film and find its way to the edges.

The film will move initially with even the slightest touch so once I've positioned and centered it where it belongs, I press firmly in the middle with one finger tip and then use a rubber squeegee (often also supplied but a credit card can be substituted if you do not have one), and begin squeezing out the slightly soapy water from the center towards the edges to begin the adhesion. As I move the slightly sudsy water out, it leaves behind a virtually flawless adhesion.

Once I have the film tacked down sufficiently with the squeegee to prevent it from moving I remove my finger and finish squeegeeing across the entire film surface to remove any remaining water and tiny air bubbles. If the film has moved while initially squeegeeing it can still be nudged into alignment with sideways pressure from my fingers very slowly to perfect it's position. Then I wipe it off completely with a damp lens cleaner and let it continue to firm up its adhesion on its own.

I've used this same technique to remove and reuse glass screen protectors as well, and to assure the adhesive was free of particulates I wash the adhesive with the Dawn soap and rinse it well before starting the reapplication.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good stuff @FoxKat! I may have to try that next time, since I always end up with at least one tiny dust particle causing a bubble every time.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Good stuff @FoxKat! I may have to try that next time, since I always end up with at least one tiny dust particle causing a bubble every time.

It took him longer to wrote the response, than it will for you to put it on.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It took him longer to wrote the response, than it will for you to put it on.
Wouldn't want to disappoint my fans with less than an appropriate length novel...

ec2b166a0309390a145b629931f74c30.jpg

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
a6a924fc60dfa7641339a08edb48026d.jpg

Could not be more impressed. I do have one tiny bubble that you can really only see from this angle. I didn't really take my time or clean my work area at all. I still have 5 more though!
And look! No scratches! Lol

If you can, look very closely at that tiny bubble and you should see a speck of dirt or fiber fragment in the center. Trapped air is virtually always due to some particulate getting trapped and creating the void that then traps air.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Your first write up should really be its own thread.

I will try the in the shower method. But these particular ones (and in fact, all the film ones I have used) come with a little spray bottle of not quite water that does what your soap idea suggests. So, directly to Sajo, I don't think you need the soap with this particular kit. The solution they send does exactly what FK's soap does, allowing you to move it and align it perfectly before doing the squeege...

And yea, Foxy, I've seen enough bubbles to know exactly what they are. lol I've never been great at this but I am improving.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

I will try the in the shower method. But these particular ones (and in fact, all the film ones I have used) come with a little spray bottle of not quite water that does what your soap idea suggests. So, directly to Sajo, I don't think you need the soap with this particular kit. The solution they send does exactly what FK's soap does, allowing you to move it and align it perfectly before doing the squeege...

And yea, Foxy, I've seen enough bubbles to know exactly what they are. lol I've never been great at this but I am improving.
Cool, thanks. Should be here in a few days and I'll see how it works with the provided kit. The soap & water idea will come in handy when the kids get new phones and need screen protectors

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

An alternative to the shower method (creating a pseudo clean-room), is to do it outside after a rain storm... the rain creates a clean, high negative ion environment which reduces airborne particulates to some of the lowest PPM readings you'll ever experience.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I ordered this one for my screen protector. I will put it on as soon as I take it out of the box!!!

613uEMucCUL._SL1070_.jpg

[2-Pack] Motorola Moto 360 46mm (2nd Gen) Tempered Glass Screen Protector, Supershieldz® Motorola Moto 360 46mm 2nd Generation With Anti-Scratch, Anti-Fingerprint, Bubble Free [ Lifetime Warranty]
Sale:

$7.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $49. Details
You Save: $17.00 (68%)

Made from the Highest Quality Tempered-Glass with 100% Bubble-Free Adhesives for easy installation and no residue when removed
  • 0.3mm 9H Hardness Anti-Scratch, Anti-Fingerprint, Bubble Free
  • 99.99% HD Clarity and Maintains the Original Touch Experience
  • Hydrophobic and Oleo-phobic coatings protect against sweat and oil residue from fingerprint.
  • Protected by Supershieldz No-Hassle Lifetime Replacement Warranty

Amazon.com: [2-Pack] Motorola Moto 360 46mm (2nd Gen) Tempered Glass Screen Protector, Supershieldz® Motorola Moto 360 46mm 2nd Generation With Anti-Scratch, Anti-Fingerprint, Bubble Free [ Lifetime Warranty]: Cell Phones & Accessories

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Any report on yours Sajo?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Any report on yours Sajo?

It showed up the day before I left for this business trip I am on. Since I had to let it dry for 24 hours I decided to wait until I got home. I'll be home this weekend and plan on installing one then.

On a good note, I have banged this thing around a few times on office furniture, etc and no scratches whatsoever.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Since I had to "let it dry for 24 hours" I decided to wait until I got home.

Yea, I didn't wait 24 hours. More like 1 hour.

On a good note, I have banged this thing around a few times on office furniture, etc and no scratches whatsoever.

LIAR! :D

I put a 2nd one on... in the bathroom with the shower running. Felt like an idiot but.... zero bubbles this time. :D