32GB SDHC Card trouble

shukaido

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 32GB memory card for my Droid. The card came and formatted fine/no errors detected. I backed up my data/copied my sd card from the phone to the 32GB card. I put the card into the phone and when I go to my music. It has taken a bunch of my music files from the folders they were in and put them into the LOST.dir in a format I cannot access.
I then decided to try backing up everything on the old card to the computer, formatting the new 32gb card and putting it into the phone, and then transferring the data over to it as it was in the phone. The data transferred fine but yet again it started randomally moving files to the lost dir and even changing the extension on them when the phone was unmounted and the card was detected.
At this point I thought the card was corrupted so I returned it as well as bought another usb reader for the microsd sized card to test that it wasn't somehow the usb adapter or somehow a defective card.
The new card and card reader came and I tried the exact same 2 methods listed above and I am still getting the same errors. I even tried totally powering the phoen off and back on. I also got a different error at first this time when filing the new 32Gb card and putting it inside the Droid. I got the message that it was preparing the sd card. 2 hours later it was still giving that message.
Maybe the droid really cannot support a 32GB memory card? Or is there some sort of os defect that I am unaware of? Any advice here would be appreciated.

Last edited:

PhontomF

Reaction score
What brand card is the 32GB? How much did you pay for it? There were a bunch of fakes up on ebay recently selling for real cheap.

OP
S

shukaido

Reaction score
I am not really sure on the brand, both looked like generics, but both were not the same type. The seller was a powerseller on ebay that I have done business with before and they actually shipped me out the replacement card for free and let me keep the first card I got. But it is odd that both 32Gb cards I got did almost the exact same thing. In a sd card reader I was able to fully load the card and transfer the stuff on it/access it from different machines and have the data pass crc checks as well as sfv checks. It is just that when I put it in the phone, only then the odd things happen.

PhontomF

Reaction score
I would bet they are fake 32GB cards, especially if they just let you keep the first one haha. Most were actually 2GB cards modded to look like 32Gb when formatted. Authentic 32 GB cards are going for like $200 right now.

OP
S

shukaido

Reaction score
Hmm is there a piece of software I could use to detect wether or not they are fakes? Like I said it is odd that I am able to fill the card with 32GB of data and still have it pass a sfv check

PhontomF

Reaction score
Yeah that is strange. So you can fill the card with data and then access it all on the PC w/o a problem? Try filling it with music and movies and see if it all plays back ok from the card. Dont know if there is any software to detect fakes or not.