30 GB in a month

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not true. If you do this, you are no longer on a contract. Once you are off contract, they can switch you to tiered data whenever they want.

Actually this is true. I stand corrected from my earlier statement. To keep our "grandfathered" unlimited data, Verizon states that: "Customers who purchase phones at full retail price and are on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan."

So, our only option going forward is to buy at full retail. This choice is going to depend on each user. If you're the type to use a ton of data (10gb+) per month, it would probably be smarter to buy at full retail and keep your unlimited. If you don't use that much, tiered data probably isn't a bad idea along with a subsidized phone.

Personally, I'd rather not give Verizon additional money. I'll either a) buy from an external vendor (i.e. Amazon, Wirefly, ebay, etc) or b) buy directly from Google and become a GSM customer.

To OriginalDroid, while I hope I'm wrong, it's my understanding that Verizon's LTE bands are significantly different from what other carriers are using. In a year or two, things could change, but for this round of Nexus devices, Google is only going to be making GSM versions because they can't make CDMA (for Verizon or Sprint) version independently on their own.

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
sbenson said:
Actually this is true. I stand corrected from my earlier statement. To keep our "grandfathered" unlimited data, Verizon states that: "Customers who purchase phones at full retail price and are on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan."

So, our only option going forward is to buy at full retail. This choice is going to depend on each user. If you're the type to use a ton of data (10gb+) per month, it would probably be smarter to buy at full retail and keep your unlimited. If you don't use that much, tiered data probably isn't a bad idea along with a subsidized phone.

Personally, I'd rather not give Verizon additional money. I'll either a) buy from an external vendor (i.e. Amazon, Wirefly, ebay, etc) or b) buy directly from Google and become a GSM customer.

To OriginalDroid, while I hope I'm wrong, it's my understanding that Verizon's LTE bands are significantly different from what other carriers are using. In a year or two, things could change, but for this round of Nexus devices, Google is only going to be making GSM versions because they can't make CDMA (for Verizon or Sprint) version independently on their own.

Sorry hadn't read this money post before I shot mine off.

I agree with everything here, and it appears your right about frequency differences, but that frequency difference isn't so huge one chip can't be made to cover it all.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388526,00.asp

If I'm Google I put in a chip that plays nice with all LTE frequencies especially with voice over LYE appearing to be the future.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
OriginalDroid said:
I agree and disagree, I agree that Google probably won't be putting CDMA radios in the Nexus's anymore, I disagree with that fact that they won't make phones that will at least play nice with Verizon's LTE network, case in point, AT&T is converting to LTE, Sprint is converting to LTE, T-Mobile is converting to LTE, I don't think (and it's possible I'm wrong) LTE signals vary that broadly that a chip can't be made to cover them all. Now, I know that doesn't completely solve our problem, but I can atleast hope that Verizon starts incorporating Voice Over LTE sometime in the next year, cue AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mo to be sprinting to catch up, leading to the phase out or more than likely just back-burner for CDMA/GSM radios, so maybe the next line of Nexus's will be GSM/LTE with Voice Over LTE capabilities.

I know this is all hypothetical, but hey, if Google the Supreme Overlord enables me to stick it to Verizon, I will continue to be their Google's loyal servant.

Nope, unfortunately LTE is different on all the carriers, I read an article somewhere saying that people were going that LTE was going to reunite all the American carriers like gsm is everywhere else in the world only to be disappointed when each LTE network started limiting which band they use which means that Verizon LTE well use a-c bands, ATT will use e-h bands, sprint will use j-m bands, etc (the letters are just used as examples of the band ranges)
Basically it would be like trying to tune into an AM station on an FM only radio

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
OK, I have the OG Droid X...I want to upgrade to a 4G phone, but I want the newest phone I can get. I'm trying to hold out for the rumored Razr HD (because of the rumored 4.7" screen and the rumored ICS)...but it LIKELY won't be out before Verizon switches to shared data plans. However, I'll be happy with the Razr Maxx, especially now that they've dropped the price.
So, my strategy is this: wait until a few days before VZ starts the shared data plan, then buy the Razr Maxx. That way I keep my grandfathered unlimited plan for 2 more years. AND, if the Razr HD or Fighter or Samsung SIII comes out within 14 days of me buying the Maxx, I'll swap up to the new phone and be happy. If not, I'll stay with the Maxx and be happy.
I know, I know: Verizon will wait until more than 14 days after starting the shared data plan, to sell any new phones. Eh! Either way, I'll have a new phone and be happy with it.
Anyone see any flaws in my "brilliant" plan?
:blink:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It was inevitable they would do this they actually tried to do it a year ago when they released the tbolt to the public as the first lte device. Problem was the backlash + lte issues + tbolt problems which resulted in vzw pushing it back until they got lte more stable and a stronger line up of devices. They saw how much users racked up on 3g so they could imagine what people would do on lte. I am not saying the primary reason that vzw is forcing people off unlimited data is a result of people on forums like this going to vzw bragging about how they burned through 30 gigs a month (which is the usage avg of 10 people) but it does not help. It is what it is now so either pay 699+ for your next phone to keep unlimited or pay half that and just watch your usage. Since the rumors of vzw going to tiered started a few years ago I already been preparing by watching my usage and using my wifi when I can. So for me making the transition will not be that big a deal whwn it happens.

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
Nope, unfortunately LTE is different on all the carriers, I read an article somewhere saying that people were going that LTE was going to reunite all the American carriers like gsm is everywhere else in the world only to be disappointed when each LTE network started limiting which band they use which means that Verizon LTE well use a-c bands, ATT will use e-h bands, sprint will use j-m bands, etc (the letters are just used as examples of the band ranges)
Basically it would be like trying to tune into an AM station on an FM only radio

Actually it's much different than trying to tune into an AM station on an FM only radio.

Verizon LTE Phones Probably Incompatible With AT&T | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

See, AT&T's network operates on the frequency range of 704-746 MHz, while Verizon's operates in the frequency range of 746-787MHz.

You see, GSM phones use a modulation technique called GMSK (a type of continuous-phase frequency shift keying), whilst CDMA phones use a type of "Spread Spectrum" modulation, FM is Frequency Modulation, and AM is Amplitude Modulation, different modulation techniques require different radios, however LTE uses a form of adaptive modulation, this means one radio can rule them all, you just need to bump or lower the power to cover the right frequency, whether that be AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile.

LTE (telecommunication) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
ftajeffrey

ftajeffrey

Reaction score
Especially when people make threads like this one, and announce to the entire internet how much data they use.

We don't really CARE that you used 30GB in a month. Kindly don't announce it to the world, and bring attention to the fact.

Funny, no bragging, it was a statement of what I had actually used, and how it was used. I didn't ask Verizon for unlimited data, it is what they forced upon me with the OG droid, now I'm great with that. Verizon is aware of what I use, so your statement is somewhat silly.

Got the wife the razr and a HDMI cable, If you think I am not going to take advantage of this, then... Netlix was on both phones when I got them, and while the Nexus sucks with it (on HDMI), the razr is wonderful. I will keep and continue to use my unlimited 4g until otherwise directed, and it won't be by anyone on this forum

I am amazed at how fast I/we go through data, LTE and data caps are just a money maker for Verizon, no other way to look at it.

Anyway, enjoy that under 2 gigs you use, I will use it every way I can until...

???

Reaction score
the nexus does do hdmi out with the cheap adaptor and works well.

I just wish I could get it to work with the nfl app as I can't get nfl network on my cable and would be over wifi. so I wouldn't be hurting anyone. its just blah.

and i will be happy to pay full price for my phones to keep unlimited and some months I use a lot, some I don't. it all adv out to me. And lte is said to cost verizon less money per data package then cdma. so it should be cheaper, not more money. It's just a gimmick and it's hard to believe how many people are on their side just because I few people use what they think is a lot of data. The amount of data you think as normal will change over the next few years. even you under a gig people will someday get Google tv, a few pads and some phones all weighting down your service. As well as your car and even coffee makers. everything will use data some day and cost us all more and more. For what gets cheaper and cheaper to provide. so stop taking sides with big companies.

oh and Google is hopefully going to offer lte phones straight from them soon. so all this doesn't matter. buy your nexus for 400 from Google or a crap filled one from Verizon for 299 and get capped.

Caesars

Reaction score
It's actually hilarious how they put these apps on the phones and complain you're using too much data after the fact. The worst part is that the network probably isn't anywhere near strained :-(.

B

bens42608

Funny, no bragging, it was a statement of what I had actually used, and how it was used. I didn't ask Verizon for unlimited data, it is what they forced upon me with the OG droid, now I'm great with that. Verizon is aware of what I use, so your statement is somewhat silly.

Got the wife the razr and a HDMI cable, If you think I am not going to take advantage of this, then... Netlix was on both phones when I got them, and while the Nexus sucks with it (on HDMI), the razr is wonderful. I will keep and continue to use my unlimited 4g until otherwise directed, and it won't be by anyone on this forum

I am amazed at how fast I/we go through data, LTE and data caps are just a money maker for Verizon, no other way to look at it.

Anyway, enjoy that under 2 gigs you use, I will use it every way I can until...

EXACTLY! I couldn't agree with you more. + 9. I just wish some of u were here
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=208835
[Updated] Verizon Plans To Eliminate 'Grandfathered' 3G Unlimited Data Plans
When everyone was attacking me about using more than 5 gigs a month. What u said was ENTIRELY correct. My only wish is that I could have explained it that calmly b4 my temper

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a family plan now, 3 lines. One unlimited data, 2 tiered. I have Netflix and some other things too.

I tried 2GB....no where near enough for me. I tried 4GB, was better but still not enough. 10GB so far has been fine.

To me.... 30GB - 50GB a month should be more than enough for most ppl. Unless you dont work, or your job allows one to be one their phone most of the work day, have no cable at home or home internet, no dvd/blu ray players, no computer, ...lol.

I'm sorry....but folks using over 50GB of data a month.....and dont have a hotspot plan....I dont know what to say...

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
jroc said:
I have a family plan now, 3 lines. One unlimited data, 2 tiered. I have Netflix and some other things too.

I tried 2GB....no where near enough for me. I tried 4GB, was better but still not enough. 10GB so far has been fine.

To me.... 30GB - 50GB a month should be more than enough for most ppl. Unless you dont work, or your job allows one to be one their phone most of the work day, have no cable at home or home internet, no dvd/blu ray players, no computer, ...lol.

I'm sorry....but folks using over 50GB of data a month.....and dont have a hotspot plan....I dont know what to say...

What about those that use their phone for work?
I know I'm at about 9 GB now but that's mostly from downloading and flashing so many roms, kernels, mods, etc plus some HD YouTube, and some HD Netflix...on 3g lol