3 MAXXES and they all have overheated!

on2344

Reaction score
Hello All, new to the forum and exited to get an answer from anyone...

I am on my 3rd RAZR MAXX and all have overheated...even just simple 4G LTE web browsing w/ good signal causes the device to go around 102-115...too hot to hold or make a call on afterwards!!!

Any suggestions, & does this happen to everyone?

Thanks!!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those aren't too high. That's actually average for most devices. Using 4G, browsing, having brightness up all the way, having GPS or BT on, etc will cause heat. Also the fact that its a 3000mAh battery, which will cause a lot of heat since there's nit much room to dissipate the heat.

So its normal. Anything constantly over 125°F and then I would say its overheating.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah having the screen brightness all the way up really makes the phone heat up, I keep mine at 11% and only notice heat when under heavy load. I was uploading a 100mb files to Dropbox over 4G and it got pretty hot but that is to be expected, same for tethering.

OP
O

on2344

Reaction score
Thanks for the great replies! Wonder if they will fix in later rev's...

As side note, motorola said they're going to look into it and call back, although from what everyone has said this is simply normal operation of the 4G phone.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep as they get smaller and thinner and screens and batteries get larger, there will be more heat issues. Most processors can handle temps up to ~160°F.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Those aren't too high. That's actually average for most devices. Using 4G, browsing, having brightness up all the way, having GPS or BT on, etc will cause heat. Also the fact that its a 3000mAh battery, which will cause a lot of heat since there's nit much room to dissipate the heat.

So its normal. Anything constantly over 125°F and then I would say its overheating.

Yeah having the screen brightness all the way up really makes the phone heat up, I keep mine at 11% and only notice heat when under heavy load. I was uploading a 100mb files to Dropbox over 4G and it got pretty hot but that is to be expected, same for tethering.

Yep as they get smaller and thinner and screens and batteries get larger, there will be more heat issues. Most processors can handle temps up to ~160°F.

I concur with the above posts. Most importantly, the phone has built-in temperature monitoring and also has the ability to back off on processor speed, shut down unnecessary processes, and even if necessary do a soft reboot to prevent damage. Unless you see a warning on the screen about high temperatures, I wouldn't be too alarmed.

Also as Droid-Xer indicated in two posts above, there is almost NO EMPTY SPACE inside these marvels of technological miniaturization and compactness. This does succeed in giving us a phone that is "RAZR THIN", but it also means any component that generates heat has to transfer that heat directly to the outside of the phone via thermal conductivity, rather than dissipating it internally into air first, and then gradually radiating it out of the phone through Infrared Radiation or via airflow through openings in the casing. Furthermore, as we all want a phone that is "water resistant", this means there are virtually no openings from inside to outside large enough to allow airflow.

Anything you can do to reduce power consumption will also reduce heat generation since moving electrons generate heat, and the more electrons that are moving and the faster they are moving, and the more resistance the components put up against the electrons moving (think bright screen, Bluetooth, WIFI, 3G, 4G, GPS, Widgets, background email, Facebook, etc.), the more heat will be generated. The built-in Task Manager can do a good job of minimizing this by shutting down unnecessary operations when the screen is off, and of course since you can always start any applications again it will both conserve battery power and reduce heat generation.

Good luck! :biggrin:

noz177

Reaction score
Hello All, new to the forum and exited to get an answer from anyone...

I am on my 3rd RAZR MAXX and all have overheated...even just simple 4G LTE web browsing w/ good signal causes the device to go around 102-115...too hot to hold or make a call on afterwards!!!

Any suggestions, & does this happen to everyone?

Thanks!!

Yep they due get hot when you make a long phone call say 30 to 40 minutes. It seems to be the normal operational temp for 3g as well as 4g because my Dx1 did the same thing only I could take the back off to help cool it down a little not so with the RAZR but keep in mind it was designed to with stand navigation duties in a windshield.

OP
O

on2344

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's thoughtful replies - every service, etc. is off but I do see DataOffload running, does anyone know how to kill it on a non-rooted model?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Need heat sinks... but no room for em lol.and opening up the case will only lead to water and other bad things getting inside.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
...keep in mind it was designed to with stand navigation duties in a windshield.

A very good point and a great observation! :biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for everyone's thoughtful replies - every service, etc. is off but I do see DataOffload running, does anyone know how to kill it on a non-rooted model?

DataOffload is not something I have running on my MAXX, and I can't find any reference to it when Googling. I would try using the built-in Task Manager to set up DataOffload to be killed when the screen is off. You can also go to Menu, Settings, Applications, Running services, and click on the "DataOffload" app, and choose "Stop" for any process it has running.

I am still concerned as to what this service may be. I have LOTS of things installed and also lots running, but have never seen that service. Perhaps someone else is familiar with it and can lend some advice. If this is something you have seen running on all of the "3 MAXXES", then I would bet it's something you are installing which is at the root of the problem and may be why your phones are seemingly running "overheated".

Good luck! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Caesars

Reaction score
This particular process is not even using CPU on my maxx, i wonder what it is lol.

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Both RAZR have same amount of space inside...none. and both batteries put out same voltage ...maxxs battery being 3000mah has zero to do with heat. It just can run longer than tha RAZR. Something is using power, which makes heat. But if you can't hold yer maxx ...something is wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Data offload is like the traffic cop in your phone. It tries to ensure that things run smoothly. Its main purpose is to make sure the processor is giving the higher level functions the processor use they require. At least that's what I've been told.

Hope this helps?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Data offload is like the traffic cop in your phone. It tries to ensure that things run smoothly. Its main purpose is to make sure the processor is giving the higher level functions the processor use they require. At least that's what I've been told.

Hope this helps?

OK, so if the "traffic cop" is working overtime, there must be a LOT of unruly traffic! My phone's "streets" must be completely empty or I have tremendously courteous apps :)biggrin:) as I've NEVER seen that service running.

Clearly there is SOME sort of app conflict or something installed that is a total hog. By the way, did the OP say something about Virus Scan? I don't use one and I've never had good results with a running Virus utility. I ONLY use stand-alone Virus scans that work when I ask them to and aren't there any other time. Norton on Windows PCs is the WORST! I wonder if the problem is the Virus Scanner?