$3 DIY car mount (works with case!)

trale

Reaction score
Hey all, thought I might share this setup I have for my Droid X. I actually had the real Motorola car dock, and returned it because my setup was more elegant and superior!

Note, this setup only works if you have the Verizon shell/holster combo that I got. The basic idea is that I'm using the holster itself as a dock, which I have hanging off a twist tie, which are tied across two stick-on hooks from any hardware store. That's it! Without further ado, pictures!

img0453p.jpg

Here's what the holster combo looks like. Note the DX with shell is normally inserted with the LCD facing inwards (to protect it during normal use).

img0454b.jpg

And here's the "docking station" (more like a docking belt/wire). The clip is used to push against the right side of the phone so the LCD is angled towards the driver.

img0456tp.jpg

Here's what the setup looks like after I clip on the holster to the wire.

img0461d.jpg

Finally, here's the whole setup in action. Note I do need to remove the phone from the shell (which is easy), and now it slides snugly right into the holster with LCD facing forward.

I have full access to everything on the phone. I can even set a Homescreen shortcut to the Car Dock mode if I want.

Note that I'm also powering it with a 3rd party USB charger with a retractable cable, thus decreasing the mess. And when I'm done with a trip, I just take the holster and go.

My dashboard is completely uncluttered with any base stations (for using the dash mount) or any cables flying about. There's no tell-tale signs that I even use a GPS or a smart phone that would attract thieves.

Feel free to comment or copy!

Akita

Reaction score
Is there a way you can post a picture from the backside to show how you rigged that up(when the holster is resting on that "station")?

OP
T

trale

Reaction score
I'm simply clipping the holster (that usually clips onto your pants belt) to the twist tie. That's it!

Nothing fancy.

rydizzle

Reaction score
Innovative and cheap, I like it. And the best part about it is that you can choose to have your phone in portrait or landscape just by rotating the clip.

Q

qoncept

Once Seidio comes out with their cases and holsters, you'll could replace that the holster and not have to take your case off.

I thought about doing this but I REALLY prefer to have an integrated charger. If I have to use 2 hands, I'm that much less likely to actually use my phone instead of just listening to the radio.

OP
T

trale

Reaction score
I thought about doing this but I REALLY prefer to have an integrated charger. If I have to use 2 hands, I'm that much less likely to actually use my phone instead of just listening to the radio.

Note sure what you mean by that... my entire setup only needs one hand to operate.

With the real dock, I ~do~ need two hands to put on the dock and remove if after each trip. (I'd never leave the dock visible in my car. That's just asking for trouble)

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Boy I love these kinds of threads. THis one is a much more professional homemade holder than the usual bent wire hangers and such ahahaha.

Q

qoncept

Boy I love these kinds of threads. THis one is a much more professional homemade holder than the usual bent wire hangers and such ahahaha.
Yeah, I don't know why people even bother posting that crap. One post letting people know where the magnet to trigger dock mode is makes sense, but I've seen enough cardboard and coat hanger pictures for one lifetime.

With the real dock, I ~do~ need two hands to put on the dock and remove if after each trip. (I'd never leave the dock visible in my car. That's just asking for trouble)
That's what I mean. No big deal, but I know from experience that most of the time I'm not going to bother if I can't just slap it in place with one hand.

OP
T

trale

Reaction score

Really? I'd love to see some of these other creations. I could use a laugh. Got links?

joker23

Reaction score
Really not trying to be an ass, but for just a couple bucks more you can use the Soundgate M2 if you're okay with sticking things to your dash or console.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...st-installed-soundgate-m2-car-mount-pics.html

I ordered 2 of these with the coupon code "WOOT" and spent a total of $15. You can mount anything you want to these things.

[video=youtube;8uIKua5mqic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uIKua5mqic"]Installation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uIKua5mqic[/video]

debdroid1a

Reaction score

Really? I'd love to see some of these other creations. I could use a laugh. Got links?

At least their thinking, and they are fun to look at.

A quick search for "hanger" brought these up

Spare Wire Hanger? Make a DROID Stand!

Here's one made with the droid box your phone came in
Home Made Droid X Docking Station

HOW-TO: DIY media/car dock Has where to place the magnets (check out page 7 for another idea).

DIY Droid Dock/Stand - Using Legos or K'Nex this one has some links to the ideas, scroll down. And check out post #8.... ;)

OP
T

trale

Reaction score
Really not trying to be an ass, but for just a couple bucks more you can use the Soundgate M2 if you're okay with sticking things to your dash or console.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uIKua5mqic

More mounting ideas are always good. This one has some merit, but I still like my DYI more. I want to have the smallest footprint possible in my car, and while I'm okay with sticking a small thing to my dash, I'm not okay with sticking things permanently to my phone.

This mount might have uses for some other gadgets though, so thanks for the heads up.

joker23

Reaction score
I actually ordered these from work where the work filter blocks video. I didn't realize it required sticking something more or less permanently to my dash until after it shipped. I will probably use them somewhere for some other purpose, I just haven't figured out where/how yet. I just liked the bargain, $20 off of a $25 mount.