1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

3.5mm Headphone Jack -- Crackling on High

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by jsg7377, Dec 9, 2009.

1. jsg7377

jsg7377 New Member

I am on my second Droid now (first one would just auto restart every couple minutes for some reason), but I have noticed that on both units that the 3.5mm audio will crackle on the right channel (if at max/near max volume on the device).

I just turn the device volume down to half and turn up the volume on the speakers -- It is not a real big issue but I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the same problem.

To replicate problem:

It does not seem to do it with headphones. I only notice it on amplified speakers (stereo, car, etc)

I used Pandora (on High quality) and standard MP3s played through the default media player.
  2. 8thSamurai

8thSamurai New Member

noticed this too

Doesn't happen with headphones or when playing through the phones speaker. Only heard it when I used it in my vehicle with 3.5mm cable. Thought it was the car speakers at first but didn't happen with cds or ipod. Changed the cable and still happened. Anyone have any ideas on this? Was wanting to let go of my ipod and just use the phone but the noise is very distracting.
  3. MOTODROID JON

MOTODROID JON New Member

it happens on mine too... plus i don't think you get the volume you get out of an iPod which is annoying.
  4. jsg7377

jsg7377 New Member

Well I guess it is not just me. Perhaps we should report this as an error.

I wonder if it is hardware or software. Has Motorola acknowledged anything? I may give them a ring.

The only work around I have found was to lower the "Media Volume" to around 80%, but it just doesn't sound as rich.

Does anybody have any ideas?
  5. sethmo

sethmo Guest

Hapenned to me too in my friends Nissan Titan.
  6. jasondcannon

jasondcannon New Member

I have the same issue... I'm hoping it's not a hardware design problem, but I don't see how it could be fixed in software... Unless they lock the max volume to 75%... But that's not really a fix, but a workaround.
  7. TheCleaner

TheCleaner New Member

same issue here.
  8. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

great, i was going to sell my ipod touch when i get this phone, apparently i cant now :mad:
  9. PetrolHead

PetrolHead New Member

Mine does the same thing. It happens on bass hits or the like...so my guess is that on max volume, it's clipping. In that case, turning it down helps. Turning the volume down doesn't effect sound quality at all. Leave it at 75% and just turn the car speakers up. Problem solved.
  10. MInkyboi

MInkyboi New Member

Sorry up bump and old bump but i didnt want to create an entirely new one.
    Does anyone here still have this problem after the update? I havent used it as a music player in awhile until right now. I think the update fixed it since I do not hear any popping on max volume anymore
  11. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

crackling at the highest volume is a problem for all, if not many of the Droids have the problem. I know my Droid crackles at the highest volume, but at second highest volume setting I don't have that problem. Having devices on the highest volume i learned is not good for the device anyway, could blow the speaker on the phone. So i just leave it at second to highest volume and then turn up my steareo more.
  12. jasondcannon

jasondcannon New Member

Mine still has the issue even after the update.
  13. iDroided

iDroided New Member

Mine does it only when volume is at 100%, which isn't especially good for your ears in headphones anyway. On home audio or car receivers, turn it down a bit and hike it up on the receiver or head unit itself. No issue.

Should it do it? Probably not, but hardly something that makes it impossible to hear music just fine.
  14. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

So could this phone still replace my itouch? I hope so, I do listen to heavy bass music in my car stereo though
  15. MInkyboi

MInkyboi New Member

hmm so when i was driving in my car earlier today with the droid as a music player through AUX there was a noise/buzz in the background. then i unplugged my power cable that was charging my phone at the same time and the noise stopped.

so maybe the droid cant be charging while using the headphone jack...
  16. iDroided

iDroided New Member

When you get a call, text, or e-mail, the music pauses for a second. When this issue is taken care of there wouldn't be a need for the Touch. At least not to me.
  17. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Since updating to 2.0.1 the 'crackling' issue on full volume has disappeared.
  18. iDroided

iDroided New Member

You know what, you're right. I must have not kicked up the volume since the upgrade but it doesn't seem to be doing it at the moment.

In that case, it's just the brief pause during notifications they need to work on.
  19. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Agreed! The external speaker can play 2 sounds at once, so there's no pause with notifications when playing music but if you plug in a headset you get the 'pause'. Reminds me of my BB... which is not good :(

I'd like to see a fix to get both sounds to play thru the audio out just as it does with the external speaker.
  20. Game4set

Game4set New Member

Sorry to bump this old thread guys but apparently I had this problem and I thought that I blew my car's speakers. After intensive testing and taking the car to the dealer, etc. I found out that the problem was with the phone itself. Basically instead of having the volume of the music @ 100%, I just bring it down one level and the problem is solved. But I still think that this is a serious problem that could potentially damage people's speakers.
Search tags for this page

3.5mm jack crackle

android headphone jack interference
crackling audio fix in headphones android phone
crackling headphone jack turn
crackling headphones
crackling in s4 audio jack
droid razr headphome jack crackling
droid x2 headphone jack crackle
front headphone jack crackle fix
headphones don't crack at highest volume
htc one sound cracking poblem with headphone