3.3.1 what say you?

Discussion in 'UltimateDroid' started by hrdnhvy, Apr 20, 2011.

1. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

Well after my initial dissapointment that the ability to change the LED for notifications is still missing, I was extremely happy to see the return of the kernel previously used in UD releases, overall 3.3.1 is running perfect thus far.
  2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Does your music app kill itself if you enter another app while playing, for example Facebook or navigation?
  3. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

Just tried it & worked fine, I was just jammin to some black label society, when back to home desktop, then opened app drawer then open facebook & looked around a little, music still playing, then I opend dolphin browser (music still playing) & posting this reply, I would assume an issue like urs would be related to the low memory, & the low memory killer settings, if your using a different launcher do u have it installed to data/app or system/app ? I had adw installed to the system/app I had a video camera recording issue in 3.3.0, it would force close & I would have to reboot to get it to open again, I actually solved the problem 2 different ways, first I tried, changed the low memory killer settings from 8-12-24-28-32-32 to 6-10-22-28-32-32 & it fixed the issue, I also moved adw into the data/app from the system/app & that fixed it to, even with the mem kill settings at 8-12-24-28-32-32...
  4. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

I also seem to get a better overall performing droid with JIT disabled & a vm heap of 32...
  5. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

How do you do this? I am running another ROM but depending how it's done maybe I can try it...
  6. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

There are two market apps u can use Auto memory manager & the one I use Autokiller memory optimizer..after installed, go into its settings & enable advanced mode, MAKE sure to keep "set at boot" UNCHECKED, until u are 100000% sure ur settings are good to go, in fact I always leave it unchecked, the wrong settings can really cause issues, but a reboot will reset them back to ur roms default.....there is a good read about this over at xda let me see if I can find the link.
  7. sandfreak

sandfreak New Member

I have a problem that I think might be related to the low memory on OG Droid.

My "widget locker" app keeps turning on and off. Wish the dang thing would stay on. I'm wondering if it's a memory issue and if it is I'm thinkin I'll try that "autokiller" app.

What do you think?

Side note: anybody using "widget locker?" When I reboot, my lockscreen loses all the Widgets so I have to re-apply them every time. This happen to anybody else?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  8. sandfreak

sandfreak New Member

Ok I went ahead and did it. So far so good. I'll report back with further results

9. Nausicaa

Nausicaa New Member

I came from 2.5.0
    At least the market works.
    But I am missing LEDs, and the torch app.
  10. dodgersrgood

dodgersrgood New Member

i have widgetlocker and i just dont even install it on gb roms cuz theres no chance itll work right
  11. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

Yes, it would not suprise me if that is the case with widget locker, when i had the issues with my cam corder force closing, i dont even know what made me think of the minfree manager killing it, but i set tje parameters significantly lower especially in the first 3 groupings & it fixed the camera, so i questioned if having gmail & especially the launcher installed to the system/app then trying to run the cam corder on top of it ate ul my memory, so now just simply leaving adw & gmail in the data/app actually solved the problem without having to lower the mem settings, im always experimenting with different values & currently i am set at: 6-10-22-28-32-42 yes i know that is a 10mb increase in the empty app catagory, but it really seems to help my droid snappy.
  12. crazyjoker2

crazyjoker2 New Member

how do you change where it's installed? do a copy and paste in root explorer?
  13. jak86

jak86 New Member

Has anyone come accross problems with the facebook app on 3.3.1? I keep getting fc's when trying to view profiles. Looking through my contacts some have their profile pics but some dont. I tried clearing the cache and data, reinstalling facebook and even fix permissions under the command menu and nothing seems to fix it. I dont use the fb app much but i've always like that my contact pics sync with everyone profiles.

The weather channel app closes on me sometimes too. I use the fancy widget and have it set to open the weather channel app when I tap on it. Sometimes it works just fine but other times once it loads the weather or if I click on the 10 day forcast it closes out comepletely.
  14. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Yeah I'm getting fcs on facebook and a couple other apps as well...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  15. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

Yup just use Root explorer, & once pasted u may have to change the permissions, use root explorer to do that as well, if unsure what to change the permissions to, just set them the same as the other apps....

Facebook is screwed up, I hope its the app, lots of negative comments listed in the market on it, though it seems to be working fine on the wifes incred.

16. sandfreak

sandfreak New Member

Must say, phone seems snappier with those settings using "autokiller" and so far "widget locker" has been cooperating.

Only problem I have now is a lag with "launcher pro" Sux because it used to be so smooth but somewhere along these multiple UD updates it has started to be sluggish.

17. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

I uzed to go back & forth between LP & ADW trying to decide on just one so.I could remove the other simply for the space, overall I just never found myself "impressed" with LP, so I splurged & went one step further & got ADW Ex & Ive never looked back, so far Ive been plenty happy wirh the additional features that Ex has.
  18. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

I just noticed in your signature that you have listed UD 3.3.1 & Sapphire kernel, with that kernel does your usb tethering work & is your droid able to connect via usb to yer pc & transfer files between the two?

19. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

Low Memory Manager A Brief Explanation

This in no way is meant to be a techincal description of how androids low memory manager operates, in fact I just wrote this up very quickly in as simple of terms to remind myself on how it works, so im sorry in advance for all the typos.

In laymans terms the following is a brief introduction of what it does how android low memory manager works:

All applications will fall into one of the following 6 catagories: Foreground Apps, Visible Apps, Secondary Server, Hidden Apps, Content Provider, Empty Apps.

Each catagory is assigned a static threshold value and if and when memory levels fall below that value, starting with the least critical catagory "Empty Apps" the os will begin terminating those apps until enough memory becomes available.

Then if memory levels continue to run out, the os will then move onto the next catagory down the line "Content Provider" and begin terminating apps the same way & so on & so until required memory levels are reached.

So say we have the empty apps set at 42mb, content provider set at 32mb, hidden apps set at 28mb, secondary server set at 22mb, visible apps set at 10mb, & forground apps set at 6mb.

So if & or when available memory levels fall below 42mb the os will begin killing apps in the empty app category, & if available memory falls below 32mb the os will begin terminating apps in the content provider, if available memory falls below 28mb hidden apps get killed, if available memory falls below 22mb secondary server apps get killed, if available memory falls below 10mb visible apps get killed & if memory falls below 6mb visible apps begin getting killed.

So its very easy to see how having any of those values set to high can really affect things, not so much in the empty app category (but thats a double edge sword on its own) but if things get down to the bottom 3 is when the user will be most affected.

Now, some say to keep the empty app category set higher, to keep things free which in theory would help to yor droid snappy, but on the flipside having it set to high can & will result in an over active minfree killer which in theory would have a negative affect on battery life.
  20. sandfreak

sandfreak New Member

I had the same problem about a week or so ago on UD3.3. I tried everything I could think of to fix it but nothing worked. Finally I downloaded the zip again and flashed the new zip and I was able to mount again.

The sig isn't accurate for the time being though. Been switching kernels all day trying to find one that helps with my launcher pro lag. But mounting via USB to PC was fine with the sapphire kernel.