1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

2nd-init ROMs and battery life?

Discussion in 'Droid X Roms' started by ourkidsteve, Jul 27, 2011.

1. ourkidsteve

ourkidsteve New Member

I am running Liberty AOSP currently and I was wondering if any of the new 2nd-Init Roms are getting better than average battery.

While I do love the performance of this ROM, I do find myself a little bored with it as far as my layout goes. I do have Liberty Toolbox Pro and that has helped me customize it a little more, but something just seems like its missing.

I would like to try one of the new out, Im just not interested in having my phone drain so quickly. I know there are camera issues with them. I also know there are a ton of features each one offers and that is what intrigues me most.

Any help is appreciated.

Our Kid
  2. timelord

timelord New Member

I was getting terrible battery life on CM7, but I didn't try the other CM7 roms. I've gone back to DSX for now.
  3. brad92

brad92 New Member

I have tried CM7, Liquid, SSX and Justice. They definitely don't get the battery life of a good GB ROM. They make up for it in speed and customization though.

CM7 is now 2.3.5

CM74DX
  4. droidxchat

droidxchat New Member

im on miui and the battery life is the same as it was on zombiestomped. i've heard there were issues with cm battery life. also there are no camera issues except that you cannot record 720p or take pictures in widescreen, but this will soon be fixed from what i hear.
  5. BOA

BOA New Member

Battery life is not getting better on CM ROM. Im on Liquid and is better.
  6. brad92

brad92 New Member

I didn't notice better battery on Liquid but SSX did have noticeably better battery.

However, I am undervolted on CM7 nightly 42 and am getting pretty good battery life. 8 hours and I am at 40+%. Which is good considering I have download a few large files, made phone calls, used the GPS and more.

CM74DX
  7. integrate

integrate New Member

Tough to stay on CM7 compared to Liberty for me.

On Liberty, I'd probably be at 70+% with the same amount of usage. I consistently go 1 1/2 days without charging on Liberty.
  8. ourkidsteve

ourkidsteve New Member

Thanks for the input guys!

I have narrowed it down to either MIUI or Liquid GB. Though the all have their own features and at some point i will try them all. CM might move up the list since it is now at 2.3.5.

I, like Integrate, am really getting used to the battery life of Liberty. Granted I have the extended battery so I should get decent results regardless. It is nice not having to charge it until the next day though.

Does anyone know if either ROM has issues with QuickClock Advanced? I love that app and want to use it again.

Thanks

Our Kid
  9. integrate

integrate New Member

Forgot to mention that I also have the extended battery and the 2nd-init ROMs are still pretty awful.

They're great/fun ROms, though.
  10. DroidX316

DroidX316 New Member

IM running the miui and get about 18 hours out of it using qca undervolting 800/300 extendEd battery to.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  11. ourkidsteve

ourkidsteve New Member

so I went with LG 2.4.

Absolutely love it just like I thought. It is so fast too. I imagine all of them are.
    Its crazy because I installed QCA on it and I have it undervolted to 900MHz and it still seems crazy fast. Right now with extended battery and like 2 + hours of screen time I am 7.5 hrs off with 60% battery left. A lot of the screen time was setting things up so I imagine it will slow down a bit now that i have it setup.
  12. en28so

en28so New Member

I was using cm7 and got about 6hrs of batt life. Now i'm on miui and i'm getting about 5hrs of batt life. Even with extended batteries. But I run a ton of widgets, auto sync, auto brightness, etc. That's why I carry my extra battery with me. But the Froyo roms had much better battery life for sure.
  13. Dman2000000

Dman2000000 New Member

I want to try out all of this customization i hear about but to go from 24 hours on regular battery with DSX GB to 5 hours with extended is not an option. You'd need like 2 batteries. lol
  14. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Like they said it sounds like a ton of battery burning activities are in play there. I average between 10-16 hrs on a charge. 10 being a day off where I spend a good amount of time texting, using tapatalk, internet, etc. 16 hrs being a day I have work so there are big breaks in usage.

Even if youre not happy with the battery life these ROMs are definitely worth it to check them out. I cant see myself going back now.
  15. brad92

brad92 New Member

Its not 5 hours. With the screen brightness turned down, I get about 7 with heavy usage. Sure, if I cranked the brightness all the way up and ran a ton of apps in the background, 5 would be possible. But judging from your 24 hours, you don't use your phone a ton.

CM74DX
  16. Dman2000000

Dman2000000 New Member

I used it heavily for about 2-3 hours and after that not so much. I'm going to test out CM7 or MIUI once I get extended battery. If I'm getting 12ish hours or more, and of course if I love the roms might make that switch.
  17. brad92

brad92 New Member

MIUI does get better battery life from my experience.

CM74DX
  18. steveomac

steveomac New Member

I've been using Miui for a week now (hands down the best rom) and I havent really had any bad battery problems

Tho I am using the extended battery I get a full days worth.

while I'm at work this is what I do, I usally turn the data off cause I get bad 3g there so theres no point to keep it on. Turn it on when I go on my breaks and stuff, then turn it on wifi when I go home, and at that time its at like 80-85%

I dont got many widgets, miui clock, google voice and google search, along with lookout running in the backround.

granted I cant say the same for everyone else cause I'm sure they got more running and widgets ect. I actually havent had that much of a problem.

if you guys havent yet, get the extended battery, it really makes you wonder why they didnt just put it in stock, cause the battery isnt that much bigger (in size not capacity) than the stock one.
  19. brad92

brad92 New Member

I can get 24+ hours on my extended battery. If you can deal with a bigger battery door, its worth it.

SSX v2.1
Search tags for this page

download 2nd init droid pro

how to know if rom is 2nd init