$299.99 on contract? are u kidding me!

kurumatt

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what all these new 'bionic killing' phones are, and why they are worth waiting an extra 3 months?
(serious question)

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what all these new 'bionic killing' phones are, and why they are worth waiting an extra 3 months?
(serious question)

Im all in for the bionic, but can relate and understand why these phones would be worth waiting. The bionic was hyped up to be a game changer, and it was, if it were released 3-4 months ago. Now it seems a bit ho-hum. Not withstanding the fact its the first 4g dual core vzw phone, but there are other options right around the corner, whereas the bionic 6months ago was the only one out there.

The bionic seemed to be THE phone to have because there was no competing tech. I plan to buy it, and if the nexus prime blows my socks off, ill buy it retail and try to recoup my losses selling the bionic used. The bionic is getting slammed because we've been teased with the name for almost a year now.

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
(serious question)

Nexus Prime
HTC Vigor
SGS2 (debateable)

Vigor is currently pegged for an Oct 8th release and google is wanting to push the prime in October for iphone competition rumor has it.

Vanilla ICS on the Nexus Prime makes it a homerun for me.

Sent from my Bugless Droid using DroidForums

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
None of those phones are actual Bionic killers. A higher clocked processor doesn't mean anything if the phone cant perform well. The Vigor just has a higher resolution display and a higher clocked processor....supposedly. GSII processor is also clocked higher but only by 200 MHz. The Nexus Prime...maybe a generation ahead but all we have to go off of us rumors right now. And if it does come out with the rumored specs, well then that will be the top phone to have. It still doesn't mean the Bionic is a bad phone.

The only people hyping the Bionic were the people on forums like these. Moto introduced it at CES but without a release date. They then decided to go back and redesign it. The hype we got was from the leaks, not from Moto or Verizon advertising it.

And for those who think $299 is too much. The Charge is still $299 and most (if not all) of the future 4G phones will probably be $299 at release. The only 4G phone that wasn't $299 was the Revolution and we all know why.

And speaking of that phone, wasn't that also a phone that we had all heard about before and had leaks about? Where was the hype for it? When it was unveiled, it was a great phone, but then it disappeared like the Bionic and reappeared for release in what, June? No complaints there. Why not? Because it wasn't dual core maybe?

My point is that the Bionic takes a lot of crap because it's the first 4G dual core phone and people were expecting it a while ago and that just didn't happen. Sure there maybe more improved phones coming in the future but the Bionic will still be a great phone. There must be a reason there haven't been any dual core 4G phones coming out before the Bionic. So as much crap as we give Moto for the delay, they obviously figured out something the other manufacturers couldn't when it comes to getting 4G and dual cores to play nice. /rant

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
None of those phones are actual Bionic killers. A higher clocked processor doesn't mean anything if the phone cant perform well. The Vigor just has a higher resolution display and a higher clocked processor....supposedly. GSII processor is also clocked higher but only by 200 MHz. The Nexus Prime...maybe a generation ahead but all we have to go off of us rumors right now.

The only people hyping the Bionic were the people on forums like these. Moto introduced it at CES but without a release date. They then decided to go back and redesign it. The hype we got was from the leaks, not from Moto or Verizon advertising it.

And for those who think $299 is too much. The Charge is still $299 and most (if not all) of the future 4G phones will probably be $299 at release. The only 4G phone that wasn't $299 was the Revolution and we all know why.

And speaking of that phone, wasn't that also a phone that we had all heard about before and had leaks about? Where was the hype for it? When it was unveiled, it was a great phone, but then it disappeared like the Bionic and reappeared for release in what, June? No complaints there.

My point is that the Bionic takes a lot of crap because it's the first 4G dual core phone and people were expecting it a while ago and that just didn't happen. Sure they maybe more improved phones coming in the future but the Bionic will still be a great phone. There must be a reason there haven't been any dual core 4G phones coming out before the Bionic so as much crap as we give Moto for the delay, they obviously figured out something the other manufacturers couldn't when it comes to getting 4G and dual cores to play nice. /rant

I'm not saying that the bionic will be a bad phone, I just think the Prime or Vigor will be better, if I'm wrong, waiting the extra month should drop the price on the bionic.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that the bionic will be a bad phone, I just think the Prime or Vigor will be better, if I'm wrong, waiting the extra month should drop the price on the bionic.

I'm not going to disagree. They could be. I'm just tired of the people bashing a phone that isn't out yet and comparing it to other phones which aren't close to being out yet. To me, it's all about how a phone performs. The specs don't mean anything if the hardware and software don't mesh well together. And the price will definitely drop on sites like Amazon so I don't blame you for waiting.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Finally a voice of reason.

The Bionic should last you easily 2 years with the hardware it's coming with. I see no need to root something this fast and it will have more than enough memory.

As far as other phones, every single one of them is just speculation.

When will the Prime be out? What will it have in it? Will Verizon have it? No one knows.

The Photon? Give me a break with stats like that and being made by HTC just strap on a battery pack - I'm not at all interested in anything HTC. Poor battery, Sense makes me puke and they are made of plastic as opposed to Motorola Monsters that last 2 years (Still have a working Droid).

SGII? When, how big? 4g? No one can even speculate.

Finally the HD - we've seen ONE picture of it laying next to a Bionic. That's 100% of the information you have on it. If it took Moto this long to make the Bionic work well good luck on seeing that one before mid 2012.

I'm pre-ordering the Bionic - it's a monster.

I'm not going to disagree. They could be. I'm just tired of the people bashing a phone that isn't out yet and comparing it to other phones which aren't close to being out yet. To me, it's all about how a phone performs. The specs don't mean anything if the hardware and software don't mesh well together. And the price will definitely drop on sites like Amazon so I don't blame you for waiting.

EFGantry

Reaction score
Nexus Prime
HTC Vigor
SGS2 (debateable)

Vigor is currently pegged for an Oct 8th release and google is wanting to push the prime in October for iphone competition rumor has it.

Vanilla ICS on the Nexus Prime makes it a homerun for me.

i agree on the Prime. all indications are that it's gonna be a beast! dual core, around 1.5 ghz, 4.5" screen (from recent reports, now believed to be Sammy's new Super Amoled HD: Super AMOLED HD news spawns new round of October Nexus Prime rumors | Android Central), ICS, vanilla android.

HTC's battery problems make me very wary of the Vigor.

but, you forgot about the Droid HD, which is coming before the end of the year (so only 2-3 months after the Bionic). it's about the exact same dimensions as the Bionic, but only 2/3 as thick. dual core, LTE, and an improved qHD screen (BMX/Panda described it as being not as grainy as the Bionic pentile, but not as crisp as retina, and not true HD). it's not a Bionic "killer", but the insiders over at HoFo are describing it as THE flagship Moto device for this year, and wnrussell even went so far as to say that nobody is really interested in the Bionic anymore (fwiw).

nikecar

Reaction score
Finally a voice of reason.

The Bionic should last you easily 2 years with the hardware it's coming with. I see no need to root something this fast and it will have more than enough memory.

The Photon? Give me a break with stats like that and being made by HTC just strap on a battery pack - I'm not at all interested in anything HTC. Poor battery, Sense makes me puke and they are made of plastic as opposed to Motorola Monsters that last 2 years (Still have a working Droid).

any phone, as long as you take care of it will last you 2 yrs. Now if you mean to hold its tech value, then ok, but at the time, any phone, as the "latest" is always expected to last some time. 4 yrs ago, the phones then were expected to last 2 yrs. 5 yrs from now, they will be expected to last 2 yrs still. And as for HTC Quality.. every maker has lemons. i'm sure we can dig up some moto lemons by searching. My HTC has great battery life, nad I hope to get 2 years out of it, just like I did my LG and moto before it.

portermac

Reaction score
If the droid hd is really that thin then the battery will be small and when you have to get an extended battery it will be as thick as the bionic. That phone is way to thin to last, more for looks. Technology isn't there yet.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

EFGantry

Reaction score
If the droid hd is really that thin then the battery will be small and when you have to get an extended battery it will be as thick as the bionic. That phone is way to thin to last, more for looks. Technology isn't there yet.

the battery is supposed to have the same capacity - it's just a very thin and long battery that extends virtually the length of the phone.

motoroladroidbionicdroidhdleak11.jpg

portermac

Reaction score
If they get that battery to a 17 or 1900 battery then out should be alright. Did I hear it would have a trapped battery like the iphone or am I thinking of a different phone

EFGantry

Reaction score
Finally the HD - we've seen ONE picture of it laying next to a Bionic. That's 100% of the information you have on it. If it took Moto this long to make the Bionic work well good luck on seeing that one before mid 2012.

we now have a little more info than that. Susurro (an insider over at HoFo) has said that it will be LTE. someone else on this forum (i can't find the post right this second), who hints that he's testing the device, said that it's a 4.3" screen, but that it's not a true 1280x720 hd screen. BMX/Panda, who has also seen the device, has commented that the resolution of the screen is better than qHD pentile, but not as crisp as retina.

edit: check out pages 8-10 of this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...as-new-droid-hd-alongside-droid-bionic-9.html

EFGantry

Reaction score
If they get that battery to a 17 or 1900 battery then out should be alright. Did I hear it would have a trapped battery like the iphone or am I thinking of a different phone

there were initial rumors of a non-removeable battery. but, from the pics above, that doesn't necessarily seem to be the case. but, that is an unanswered question at this point.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Prime - Probably not on Verizon.

Droid HD - all we have is a picture - those stats you have are completely made up.

Who is wnrussell? And where did he say that?

i agree on the Prime. all indications are that it's gonna be a beast! dual core, around 1.5 ghz, 4.5" screen (from recent reports, now believed to be Sammy's new Super Amoled HD: Super AMOLED HD news spawns new round of October Nexus Prime rumors | Android Central), ICS, vanilla android.

HTC's battery problems make me very wary of the Vigor.

but, you forgot about the Droid HD, which is coming before the end of the year (so only 2-3 months after the Bionic). it's about the exact same dimensions as the Bionic, but only 2/3 as thick. dual core, LTE, and an improved qHD screen (BMX/Panda described it as being not as grainy as the Bionic pentile, but not as crisp as retina, and not true HD). it's not a Bionic "killer", but the insiders over at HoFo are describing it as THE flagship Moto device for this year, and wnrussell even went so far as to say that nobody is really interested in the Bionic anymore (fwiw).