29.99 Unlimited 4g data

Suuperflie

Reaction score
So, when we're talking summer release, we're talking not before June? So I'd be safe to wait for the rumored Bionic May release? Or, should I just go ahead and get the TB now?[/QUOT

You must answer one question first. Do you need lte today? If the answer is no and you are ok waiting until this summer then wait. The TB is a fine phone but not enough different than other 4.3 phones to warrent an upgrade IMO. I in fact needed lte now and find the TB is the best lte phone on the market;)

Considering my area isn't 4g it doesn't matter much right now. My problem is I currently don't have the unlimited data package because I don't yet have a Droid or any other smart phone yet. My upgrade is up and I want the Bionic, I just don't want to be waiting and suddenly Verizon does away with the unlimited data plan. If the wait is going to sacrifice that, then I'll just get the TB now. That's my quandry.

wooddale

Reaction score
Thats the problem if you don't and the do it your screwed if you argued enough maybe you can just get the plan dump

Suuperflie

Reaction score
Well, if I wait until the 15th, get the TB, then I could just take it back and exchange for the Bionic as long as it's still within the 16 day period, right? This is assuming the rumors of April 21st are correct. If not, I'll just stick with the TB. Will that work?

Droid101

Reaction score
Well, if I wait until the 15th, get the TB, then I could just take it back and exchange for the Bionic as long as it's still within the 16 day period, right? This is assuming the rumors of April 21st are correct. If not, I'll just stick with the TB. Will that work?

Ill put it to you this way. If you really dont want to gamble on what the pricing might be when the bionic then yeah that would work if and only if the 21st holds up. If not will you be willing to be stuck with a phone that gets 2-6 hours max on battery (thunderbolt I am referring to) ?

Suuperflie

Reaction score

Ill put it to you this way. If you really dont want to gamble on what the pricing might be when the bionic then yeah that would work if and only if the 21st holds up. If not will you be willing to be stuck with a phone that gets 2-6 hours max on battery (thunderbolt I am referring to) ?

That's only if it's running 4g the whole time, right? From what I've read there are things you can do to extend the battery life dramatically.... like a 10-12 hr charge for a moderate+ user. I already charge my phone everyday, eventhough it doesn't need it. My area isn't 4g yet, and honestly, why do you need to keep your phone on 4g when it's idling? I would just turn 4g on when I needed to use it.

phillipstg

Reaction score
The best buy buy back program (say that 5 times fast lol) gives you up to 50% of full retail price for your phone for the first 6 months. After that the value it gives you starts diminishing.

Things I'm wondering are:

Does verizon's buy back match that rate? NO it's not as good as BBs

Can best buy make sales and not mess promotions you got on the line (I have the unlimited data promo)? Yes

Does best buy do an early upgrade (mines isn't until June)? No, only the every 2 upgrade

Liberated Droid II

Also BB has better deals than VZW on VZW phones, and BB gives you the instant rebate instead of on a debit card.

xier

Reaction score
Yes - I think you will find that you can extend the battery and get near a day of use. I personally did not want to bulk up the phone so I did not go with the 2700MA battery - I just picked up an extra OEM and so far so good. I also expect we will see 1800_MA batteries come out that allow us to use the same battery back. The TB is really a very SNAPPY phone -- Every time I pick it up I'm reminded by how smooth it does things.

Yes - you could buy and exchange but may be stuck with the $35 restocking fee.

That's only if it's running 4g the whole time, right? From what I've read there are things you can do to extend the battery life dramatically.... like a 10-12 hr charge for a moderate+ user. I already charge my phone everyday, eventhough it doesn't need it. My area isn't 4g yet, and honestly, why do you need to keep your phone on 4g when it's idling? I would just turn 4g on when I needed to use it.

Droid101

Reaction score
The best buy buy back program (say that 5 times fast lol) gives you up to 50% of full retail price for your phone for the first 6 months. After that the value it gives you starts diminishing.

Things I'm wondering are:

Does verizon's buy back match that rate? NO it's not as good as BBs

Can best buy make sales and not mess promotions you got on the line (I have the unlimited data promo)? Yes

Does best buy do an early upgrade (mines isn't until June)? No, only the every 2 upgrade

Liberated Droid II

Also BB has better deals than VZW on VZW phones, and BB gives you the instant rebate instead of on a debit card.

Verizon does instant rebates now too. No more mail in rebates

daveck

Reaction score
My concern is that the 4G phones with the HDMI out will trigger the capped data since people will more likely use it to stream TV shows to their big TV's. I am looking forward to an upgrade.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
2 things i noticed reading this thread.

1) grandfathered in. some make it appear as if you get the 4g unlimited 29.99 locked in than you are grandfathered. this is true as long as you keep that phone. if you upgrade phones that grandfathered in is probably gone.

2) better do it now and lock it in. this is just of no sense at all. unless you believe when you wake up in the morning you read verizon is now tierd if you didnt buy your out of luck.

I do not think that verizon will change their plan without a warning. it may be short as this 1 year going away what is that like a 2 week warning. so i would keep a good eye on things. and save your cash so you can buy it at a jump if needed. but at this point for those of us waiting for better phones i see no reason to jump on the thunderbolt to get grandfathered in until the tiers are actually announced. and this grandfatherd in will most likely only last as long as you keep the phone you are on at that time when you go to upgrade dont expect that plan to continue to be available.

aDroidtoForge

Reaction score
1) grandfathered in. some make it appear as if you get the 4g unlimited 29.99 locked in than you are grandfathered. this is true as long as you keep that phone. if you upgrade phones that grandfathered in is probably gone.

2) better do it now and lock it in. this is just of no sense at all. unless you believe when you wake up in the morning you read verizon is now tierd if you didnt buy your out of luck.

I do not think that verizon will change their plan without a warning. it may be short as this 1 year going away what is that like a 2 week warning. so i would keep a good eye on things. and save your cash so you can buy it at a jump if needed. but at this point for those of us waiting for better phones i see no reason to jump on the thunderbolt to get grandfathered in until the tiers are actually announced. and this grandfatherd in will most likely only last as long as you keep the phone you are on at that time when you go to upgrade dont expect that plan to continue to be available.

Say your grandfathered in with a phone, and at the end of two years buy another phone off contract, can you just renew the unlimited contract?

Snow02

Reaction score
Yes. You just don't sign another contract, so you stay on the same plan.

Suuperflie

Reaction score

The only way you lose your grandfathered status is if you buy a phone that isn't 4g anymore and requires just a normal 3g package. With them doing away with the NE2 though, I don't see a reason to not go month to month after this last 2 yr contract is up. That is, unless they're planning on some new perk to replace NE2. As long as you're month to month, you won't have to change your package as long as you have a 4g phone.

cincycats51

Reaction score

The only way you lose your grandfathered status is if you buy a phone that isn't 4g anymore and requires just a normal 3g package. With them doing away with the NE2 though, I don't see a reason to not go month to month after this last 2 yr contract is up. That is, unless they're planning on some new perk to replace NE2. As long as you're month to month, you won't have to change your package as long as you have a 4g phone.

I think you are one of the many people who took them taking away the NE2 as something huge when it isn't.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the New Every 2 was just another $100 credit toward the main phone on the line ON TOP OF the discounted pricing of renewing your contract, example, you buy the Thunderbolt for the 2 year price of $199.99 and with NE2, it would be $99.99, but since NE 2 is gone, its still just $199.99. I believe thats how it works, right? It seems as most people see it as having to buy the phone at full retail of $599.99 or whatever it is...I'm probably completely wrong though.