$250-299 for the Xoom???

Discussion in 'Motorola Xoom' started by ckeegan, Jan 18, 2011.

1. ckeegan

ckeegan New Member

Motorola Xoom to Beat iPad 2 Prices at Verizon Stores

Could you imagine? First of all, I wouldn't call an article written by a guy, who interviewed a guy, who knows someone who works at a Verizon store; reliable. Also, he said that was for the "basic version", whatever that means. Is there another version? Not to mention the fact that if pricing were anywhere in the system at the store level, it would have already been leaked.

However, I thought it was Rubin during D: Dive into Mobile, who said the tablet would be "priced in line with current smartphones". I always took that as meaning full retail price (i.e. Moto's Verizon lineup is $500-600 full retail). Or "in line" meaning the next step up, etc. Not that Google has too much influence on hardware pricing, but I guess they could in this situation, with what is essentially looking like a Nexus tablet.
  2. berbely

berbely New Member

If so, when would be available?
  3. trumpet444

trumpet444 New Member

Im willing to bet that price is with a contract. I would like a wifi only version, I dont need 3g/4g... I can tether.
  4. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

I dont understand this. How could it use honeycomb, which is 3.0 correctmeifi'mwrong, when only one phone on the market even has Gingerbread? What the hell is going to happen to my brand new released in november d2g down the road when nobody even has 2.3 officially? I am ****ing livid!

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G
  5. LocoRon

LocoRon New Member

Honeycomb (3.0) is the first in the tablet branch. :)
  6. armalite

armalite New Member

7. PearlMikeJam

PearlMikeJam New Member

I saw the same thing today and completely agree. I had a feeling the below iPad prices rumors were too good to be true, but I never expected $799. If that is not an error, that is going to kill the Google momentum.
  8. FF5 Fan

FF5 Fan New Member

I'm lost here. Why buy a tablet when a lot (if not all, soon) of phones available nowadays can do pretty much the same thing, plus a phone connection, for the same price or less?

Sent from my HTC Incredible
  9. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

800 $ for a tablet ? I payed less for an i5 laptop . I do hope this is a nail in Motorola's coffin and soon the company will be at the edge of failure again . See you then Motorola , trying to be arrogant with your customers , telling them to go buy another device if they want open Android
  10. tgotch

tgotch New Member

Don't forget, these are MAP prices (minimum advertised prices) retailers can advertise the Motorola Xoom for. This does not by any means, mean retailers will sell for this amount. It could sell for anywhere from 10% to 60%+ less than MAP!
  11. Dj Quik

Dj Quik New Member

800 bucks is a lot is that the official price? Someone tell me there will be something cheaper.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  12. ghoticov

ghoticov New Member

I can't imagine that $799 would be the final price, they would die on the vine. Sure, they would sell a few but in order to really compete with the iPad, they have to AT LEAST be the same price, if not a few bucks cheaper for a comparable tablet.
  13. BOA

BOA New Member

That price is insane and even I the person who buys any gadget in the world thinks this is too much and I own the iPad!!! Guess I will be keeping it for now. Hopefully we get some deals
  14. chcougar1

chcougar1 New Member

Wouldn't MINIMUM advertised prices mean that is the LOWEST it could be sold for though?
  15. ghoticov

ghoticov New Member

God, I hope not.
  16. ghoticov

ghoticov New Member

I would bet that the $799 Xoom is also the 3G version and not the WiFi only version. The WiFi version has to be in the $599 range for it to be attractive. Otherwise, many will just pass over it for the iPad 2.
  17. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

I think the problem here is considering tablets a "toy". It's not. It's interesting that as I read this thread I was checking out a person's Apple iPad here at work. I asked him how he liked it and he said it was great. Great to read in bed, great to look up a webpage or information when he was in the living room, something to read in the bathroom (heh), etc.

I asked him if it was worth the 500-600 bucks and he said it was better than spending 800 on a laptop that you can't read in bed, and it starts right up.

Sounds good to me. If you can afford it, then why not? I was actually thinking of getting one to use in the living room. This kind of pushed me more towards doing so.
  18. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

Well it's going to be 699.99 at Best Buy. I guess I'll have to see what the reviews are saying.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  19. fascinater

fascinater New Member

Seems to me if the 3g version is 699 then the wifi only version should be 599.
    I can live with 599.

Sent from my 1.3Ghz Voodooized Fascinate.
  20. ckeegan

ckeegan New Member

If there wasn't a Verizon logo in the top right corner of the Xoom, I would believe a Wi-Fi only version was coming to the US. In reality, the logo is there, and Verizon paid (in some way) for it to be there. I just can't imagine we would see a Wi-Fi only version of the Xoom in the US until 3rd quarter, at the earliest. Granted, you can buy it from overseas, but the import/shipping is going to eat into those savings big time.

Honestly, Motorola is listening to everyone flipping out about the price. In fact, they're probably sitting there laughing at the reactions, because now everyone is going to think $649 is a great deal when they end up launching it at that price.