erict

Reaction score
What is the purpose of *228 and what does it do?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
It reprograms and activates your phone. It also updates your PRL's using option 2

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
It reprograms and activates your phone. It also updates your PRL's using option 2

My phone is only two weeks old and only have a signal issue at home. I get one to two bars of 3G 70% of the time and one to two bars of 1X the other 30%. Would *228 option 2 solve this? Or is this just caused by the cell tower location to my home?

I also get very quick spikes (full bars) of 3G signals.

Also, what does PRL stand for?

Last edited:

Cloppy

Reaction score

My phone is only two weeks old and only have a signal issue at home. I get one to two bars of 3G 70% of the time and one to two bars of 1X the other 30%. Would *228 option 2 solve this? Or is this just caused by the cell tower location to my home?

It may help with signal here is some info from verizon

"Preferred Roaming List (PRL)

By updating your Preferred Roaming List, you will have access to these enhancements, which may include:

Longer battery life
Fewer dropped or blocked calls
Clear, crisp connection in even more areas across the United States
Ability to connect to the digital network in more parts of the country

Preferred Roaming List "

OP
E

erict

Reaction score

It may help with signal here is some info from verizon

"Preferred Roaming List (PRL)

By updating your Preferred Roaming List, you will have access to these enhancements, which may include:

Longer battery life
Fewer dropped or blocked calls
Clear, crisp connection in even more areas across the United States
Ability to connect to the digital network in more parts of the country

Preferred Roaming List "

Now is 1X and 3G both digital networks?

Cloppy

Reaction score
yes i believe so, because 1X you still have access to the internet. Its way slower then 3G though.

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
yes i believe so, because 1X you still have access to the internet. Its way slower then 3G though.

Thank you. One other thing is I also get very quick spikes (full bars) of 3G signals at home.

Cloppy

Reaction score
I have a droid 2 and that would happen to me but a reason baseband update seem to fix that for me. Not sure what the status of the X is for updates but that will probably help too if its ever updated.

horseshoe9

Reaction score
erict,

You may need to get used to the spiking bars/3G/1X issue as this seems to be a feature on D/X. I am a mile away from four towers and get it. Once outside the house and closer to main roads the device changes. *228 may not be your solution. Many others on other boards are reporting same issue, no Verizon or Motorola solution.

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
I have a droid 2 and that would happen to me but a reason baseband update seem to fix that for me. Not sure what the status of the X is for updates but that will probably help too if its ever updated.

What update is this??

Cloppy

Reaction score
There was a recent update to the droid 2 phone only, which improved a few things. One of those was the baseband or radio version. This is not compatible with the X. Verizon/Motorola will release something for the X when its ready.

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
There was a recent update to the droid 2 phone only, which improved a few things. One of those was the baseband or radio version. This is not compatible with the X. Verizon/Motorola will release something for the X when its ready.

Gotcha:) I also want to note that I am still running 2.1. Not sure if 2.2 will help any as a previous poster stated that this is a common issue with others.

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
Just an update. I did the *228 option 2 and it made no difference at home. I'm in a rural area and will just have to live with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

horseshoe9

Reaction score
Just an update. I did the *228 option 2 and it made no difference at home. I'm in a rural area and will just have to live with it.

Rural or urban, the *228 is not solving the issue.

OP
E

erict

Reaction score

Rural or urban, the *228 is not solving the issue.

I have heard this is a common issue. Anyone have a clue as to why?