Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Two days after the thunderbolt came out I was in my local Verizon store. They had signs at every computer that said "do not dial *228 to activate the thunderbolt, it damages the sim card". I asked the rep what that was all about and he said that they had damaged 3 SIM cards that morning trying to activate them. It may be a thunderbolt specific issue, but nevertheless it is/was a real issue. I was the first to post about it. The problem may have been negated with a software update.

This post is Incredible 2!

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Hearing even one person have experience with *228 "frying 4G sim cards" is enough reason for me not to dial it. Especially when it's not accomplishing anything by trying to activate that way. Seems to be risking "possible" harm for no marginal gain...

OP
jerroedr

jerroedr

Reaction score
i didnt know 4g updated towers automatically. Im used to doing it every month for 10+ years

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
i didnt know 4g updated towers automatically. Im used to doing it every month for 10+ years

My Nexus is my first 4G device as well. There's definitely a slight learning curve coming from 3G phones, especially with how different the LTE network is from the cdma network. :biggrin:

GenieAngel

Reaction score
When I bought my phone she said I could call it if I like but they update automatically now so no need.

wendee2150

Reaction score
Remind me, please. Are we still supposed to do *228 on our Razr MAXX? I'm starting to have issues with my texts not coming in when they were sent (sometimes delayed by 6-8 hours) so I thought maybe I need to update my roaming. But it seems like there's something we used to do with our older model smart phones that we're not supposed to do with the newer ones. I just don't remember what I is. TIA!
Thanks,
Wendy

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
*228 is meant for 3g phones not 4g.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
+1 ^ Your phone has a SIM card. All phones with SIM cards do not require Over The Air (OTA) Activiation. You can pull that card out of your phone, put it into mine and make a call. The entire activation happens automatically in seconds and without any user intervention. This makes it easy to swap phones if you ever need to.

wendee2150

Reaction score
FoxKat said:
+1 ^ Your phone has a SIM card. All phones with SIM cards do not require Over The Air (OTA) Activiation. You can pull that card out of your phone, put it into mine and make a call. The entire activation happens automatically in seconds and without any user intervention. This makes it easy to swap phones if you ever need to.

Thanks, FoxKat and GoCliffGo! I appreciate your quick and excellent responses!