21 apps Apple doesn't want on your iPhone

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by huskur, Mar 3, 2010.

1. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

2. armeddroid

armeddroid New Member

3. sc4fpse

sc4fpse New Member

Decided to take a closer look at this...

1. iPhone: Multiflow - Keeps task of multitasking applications. $4.99
    Android: Included Stock

2. iPhone: My3G - Tricks apps into thinking they're on Wi-Fi, allowing 3G-prohibited features, like HD Youtube. $2.79
    Android: ??? Although, HD Youtube over 3G is Included Stock.

3. iPhone: Longitude - Updates Google Latitude GSP location in background. $1.99
    Android: Free w/ Google Maps (?), Included Stock.

4. iPhone: QuickReply for SMS - Lets you respond to MMS messages without dropping out of current app or unlocking. $2.99
    Android: Multitasking Included Stock, can't find anything for reply without unlock. But is that really that big of a deal?

5. iPhone: MyWi - Turns phone into Wi-Fi hotspot. $9.99
    Android: Root, Wireless Tether for Root Users. FREE, downloading outside market, included with many/most custom ROMs.

6. iPhone: IntelliScreen - Pops up Dashboard-like summary of messages, emails, events, news. $9.99
    Android: We have widgets. Lots of them. All info represented in picture on Networkworld can be recreated using FREE Android widgets.

7. iPhone: OverBoard - Organizes springboard icons "en masse" without going through iTunes. $1.99
    Android: No need to use iTunes: PRICELESS.

8. iPhone: SBSetting - Provides instant access to settings that disable and enable Wi-Fi, GPS, etc. FREE.
    Android: Power Control Widget Included Stock. Numerous FREE replacements for individual controls, including memory information represented in Networkworld image.

9. iPhone: Firewall iP - Lets you monitor outgoing network connections to alert you when apps "phone home." $2.49
    Android: Droid Wall. Root Required. FREE.

10. iPhone: Safari Downloader - Extends Safari Web Browser to allow you to download and store files directly on the iPhone. $2
    Android: Included Stock with Browser, also available in other FREE browsers, including Dolphin.

11. iPhone: Cyntact - Add pictures to Apple's scrolling contact list. $1
    Android: Included Stock.

12. iPhone: Voicemail Forwarder - Send voice mail messages to an email destination. $2.99
    Android: Google Voice can do this, right? So, whatever you'd pay for your invite, unless you got it for FREE.

13. iPhone: Categories - Organize springboard apps into folders. FREE.

14. iPhone: Cycorder - Records video up to 15 FPS in bright lighting at 384 x 288 resolution, creating Quicktime movies. FREE.
    Android: laughs at this.

15. iPhone: PDANet - Tether iPhone to EDGE or 3G Internet Sharing. FREE.
    Android: Same application available. FREE, but doesn't require root. $23.95 for full version. iPhone version requires jailbreak, so if you've done the same to your Droid (root), then you can get Wi-Fi tether for FREE.

16. iPhone: MiVTones - Video Ringtones. $9.99
    Android: Vringo: Video Ringtones. FREE.

17. iPhone: MxTube - Download and save Youtube videos. FREE.
    Android: Tube Downloader Free. FREE.

18. iPhone: TV-Out - Display any iPhone content on your TV using AV accessory cable. FREE.
    Android: Nothing that I know of.

19. iPhone: Veency - VNC Server for iPhone. FREE.
    Android: A few VNC Viewers, no servers. Guess I don't personally see a need for this one, but to each their own.

20. iPhone: MCleaner - Caller ID blacklist screener. $11.99

21. iPhone: StatusNotifier - Summarize status icons.
    Android: Included Stock (Notification Bar + Notification Light)

# of applications with no clear alternative on Android: 2
    # of applications with FREE alternatives on Android: 19 (Read: All of them with alternatives.)
    # of applications whose features are included on stock Android: 11
    Total cost of all of these applications on an iPhone: $60.71
    Total cost of all applications with alternatives on Android: $0.00
    To write this article, the author overpaid by: $60.71

Please point out any errors/necessary corrections.

Also, Droid Does... for free.

edit: Found Droid Wall. Updated stats.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

The only thing i wish we had is tv out is this possible?
  5. backlash

backlash New Member

For this one:
    4. iPhone: QuickReply for SMS - Lets you respond to MMS messages without dropping out of current app or unlocking. $2.99
    Android: Multitasking Included Stock, can't find anything for reply without unlock. But is that really that big of a deal?

Wont' smspopup do that, from what I remember when I had it, it let me see and incoming sms message and reply to it, with out unlocking the phone.
  6. Droid2K

Droid2K New Member

I guess what I don't understand is the media's take on the whole "Apple vs. App Developer" debate. This isn't anything remotely new.

While I am a NEW Droid and overall Smartphone user, I'm not inexperienced with Apple's tactics. Apple has a long history on placing restrictions on things that they don't approve of because it wasn't made by them, supported by them, or simply because it was better product than theirs.

iPods? My itty bitty Sanza Fuze doesn't require I use some fancy program that they develop. I can simply drag and drop songs in Winamp, which is my music player of choice. If I were to get an iPod, I'd have to use iTunes.

Mac computers? The line is blurring now, but does anyone remember when Mac computers weren't the "it" thing to buy because all your friends had them? There was a very big, thick, red line between what you could do on a PC and what you couldn't do on a Mac. Now the line is blurring a bit, thanks to the fame from the iPod, but I remember a time when my friends would come over my house after school, and look at my Mac computer and ask "Where's Windows??"

And now we have the iPhone. Is the media THAT surprised Steve Jobs and co. doesn't let open development like other smartphones? I just don't get it.

I understand there are [probably] banned apps because of conflicts with ToS and EULAs, but let's face it: I didn't see anything remotely horrible on that list of 21 apps. Associating a picture with someone in your contacts list?! My Samsung Smooth did that.
  7. sc4fpse

sc4fpse New Member

@backlash

It could. I don't text, so I really wouldn't have any idea.
  8. baniels

baniels New Member

Handcent will pop-up over lockscreen.
  9. butch350

butch350 New Member

21 apps i can manage to live without.
  10. justbob

justbob New Member

Excellent analysis sc4fpse! I'm going to sent this to a couple of fanboys I know and get them spun-up.
Search tags for this page
21 apps apple doesn't want on your iphone
apps apple doesn't want on your iphone
apps like mctube
apps like mctube for android
apps similar to mctube
apps similar to mxtube
aps for android that apple.doesnt.have
download mctube for android
iphone veency alternative
mctube app for android
mctube for android