2013 report card for android, 2014 outlook

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nexus5_one_s4.jpg

We are weeks away from the holiday season where we will be seeing a lot of bogos (Buy one get one free sales), marked up discounted holiday items, and carriers doing what they can to get those last bit of sales before the start of the new year. This year saw the emergence of Google edition phones, wearable tech, and Google beginning to regain control of the software on their devices. With the future on the horizon what direction would you like to see google and Android manufacturers go in the future?

What end of the year grade would you give Motorola, HTC, LG, Samsung, and Google as a whole?

Do you see the Google edition experiment a success or a failure?

What advice would you, as a consumer, give the various Android manufacturers and Google to help them gain (or keep) your business?

Last edited by a moderator:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
What advice would you the consumer give the various android manufacturers and Google to help them gain (or keep) your business?
Battery > radios > everything else. In that order! Moto knows this, LG is paying attention, everyone else keeps feeding same ole garbage. I don't care about screen size or pixel density. I don't care about camera or megapixels. It's all useless if your phone is dead or has no signal!

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Battery > radios > everything else. In that order! Moto knows this, LG is paying attention, everyone else keeps feeding same ole garbage. I don't care about screen size or pixel density. I don't care about camera or megapixels. It's all useless if your phone is dead or has no signal!
Couldn't agree more. +1

Rhino94

Reaction score

I also agree except I do like a good camera that will give me great pictures on the go and I feel LG and Moto know exactly what they are doing in this aspect. Its goes battery>radios>camera>everything else. You can only do as much as your phone will allow you, if its dead you ain't doing a whole lot, if it doesn't have signal that you ain't doing too much and well if you don't have a good camera then you can't capture the moments as they fly past you.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Out of this whole year I would give the nod to Moto. Only one in class to earn an A. Why? Because I like the direction they're going.

Their emphasizing on the one area that matters; user experience. Not the fastest processor, highest pixel density, best camera, etc. At the end of the day, it all comes down to user experience, and from what I've seen, Moto is taking that direction head on. I personally would like a bit of a bigger screen, but that's just me, otherwise their new Droid lineup is great from my short demo times. They were fast, fluid, and were able to keep up with my s4.

I'm very happy with my s4 and will continue to be. The only thing I don't like about Samsung is their adoption of the "Apple model". With rumors of the s5 coming out as early as January, makes me wonder if they're shooting themselves in the foot. With no control over Android like Apple does with iOS, can Samsung really afford to adopt the "Apple model"? Otherwise their displays are top quality and their hardware in general is fantastic. Throw in the fact that they're pretty much the only major company left standing with expandable memory and removable battery throughout their lineups, they'll have a strong and loyal user base.

HTC doesn't have much of a presence on Verizon, imo. The One is an awesome phone, but they made it to the Big Red too late. Also the fact that they really don't have any other phone available, just variations of the One, can't really tell what the future holds for HTC. Their lack of timely updates is going to hurt them too. Excellent hardware, but the software and support for their phones fall a bit short imo.

LG......never again. And I'll leave it at that.

As for Android, I sense some big things for 2014. I think Google Now will make an even bigger splash in 2014. It's already being shown that they want Google Now to be a bigger part of Android through KitKat, now imagine if Google Now were our lockscreen or even homescreen. Everything we want with just a quick scroll down for more information. I have no idea what they have in store for Android, but I am pretty sure Google Now will play a huge feature role in whatever the next version of Android is going to be.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I'm hoping development focus moves more toward wearables like Google Glass and midair virtual displays. (Minority report style) Oh, and I want my phone to drive my car like 007. : )

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I think with the success of the G2 and probable success of the Nexus 5, LG is gonna be the one to watch in 2014. They just flat out got it right with the G2. It is fast and fluid. Has a gorgeous screen. Has some really nice customizing features in their skin without being overly cluttered like Touchwiz. The radios are right up there with Moto. And this is coming from a diehard Moto fan who always has data issues living in a fringe area. The LG's reception is strong. Advertising is paying off as well. I just hope they treat this flagship device as such. If they do I really think the next version of the G2 could give the S5 or whatever they call it a run for it's money. LG could become a serious player in the smartphone game now.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Their follow up device will tell whether it's a real change or an accidental winner.
Same with the HTC One.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As a person considering the LG nexus 5 I have been looking at the google edition devices and I almost feel like it may be a one and done. At the 700 price point and low development it did not get the traction that manufacturers (google) may have hoped for. This have me concerned that manufacturers will abandon the google edition devices and that the nexus will be the go to presence for those wanting a clean device.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I've also been impressed with the direction of Moto/Google. I've had the Moto X for about 3 weeks now and I'm impressed with the focus on the user experience. It doesn't have have the latest and greatest octa-core processor, but it's smooth, fast, and flawless. It doesn't have a big battery, but produces all day battery life (16+ hours with 4 to 5 hours screen on time).

Motorola is not out to impress on the spec sheet, but the integration of hardware and software, together with new efficiencies in processor and screen technology, make an end product that.... (I CRINGE when I say this)... just works.

scott craft

Reaction score
I think with the success of the G2 and probable success of the Nexus 5, LG is gonna be the one to watch in 2014. They just flat out got it right with the G2. It is fast and fluid. Has a gorgeous screen. Has some really nice customizing features in their skin without being overly cluttered like Touchwiz. The radios are right up there with Moto. And this is coming from a diehard Moto fan who always has data issues living in a fringe area. The LG's reception is strong. Advertising is paying off as well. I just hope they treat this flagship device as such. If they do I really think the next version of the G2 could give the S5 or whatever they call it a run for it's money. LG could become a serious player in the smartphone game now.

I agree that LG has something to build on in the G2. The speed of the G2 is amazing, it makes the S4 and Note 3 feel sluggish.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
together with new efficiencies in processor and screen technology, make an end product that.... (I CRINGE when I say this)... just works.

For many a year that had been the main reason to choose an iPhone over an Android. One they both got a gazillion apps and Apple fans couldn't use that reasoning the old standby, and rightly so , was user experience and dependability.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I agree that LG has something to build on in the G2. The speed of the G2 is amazing, it makes the S4 and Note 3 feel sluggish.

It is an amazing device. I have not been this impressed and excited about a new phone since I got the Droid X when it was first released.

acousticshade

Reaction score

Totally agree. LG has created a true superphone. Great battery, screen & camera which is a trifecta for me. Having good radios to boot & killer speed. Just need to save up my dollars to purchase one.

That being said, Samsung has created a great product in the note 3 as well and I like the direction that moto is headed, although I wish they would work on their cameras a bit more. They still lag behind the other manufacturers.