2012 razr family update ot kitkat news 4/14/2014

aarong03

Reaction score
Nope, that's correct. But that just deletes user data... Not system data or configuration. The update did not like your phone for whatever reason.

Formatting data would not harm your phone. It would just return it to out of the box state. The issue lies in system and the update. You need to contact someone.

This happened with the other Razr line with the update. Some users phones bricked for no reason while others went fine.

Sent from my DE Moto X
Anyone on here know what else I can try? it's locked up, and after the fdr still not unlocking. It just keeps looping, from the moto symbol to the green android figure. Any ideas that I try to correct this?

Last edited:

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
Correction Volume up and power button gets me into the recovery menu. Now if I do the factory reset, will it delete my sd card, or just the phone storage? becuase I don't have the key to get my sd card out of the phone yet.

TY immensely for this!! I was trying to get in to mine to just clear cache and I was coming up with nothing! I don't get why they change the key combo with every new version. I'm just glad you figured it out...:)

aarong03

Reaction score
TY immensely for this!! I was trying to get in to mine to just clear cache and I was coming up with nothing! I don't get why they change the key combo with every new version. I'm just glad you figured it out...:)
Glad to hear that, now I hope that someone can help with my phone.

aarong03

Reaction score
Nope, that's correct. But that just deletes user data... Not system data or configuration. The update did not like your phone for whatever reason.

Formatting data would not harm your phone. It would just return it to out of the box state. The issue lies in system and the update. You need to contact someone.

This happened with the other Razr line with the update. Some users phones bricked for no reason while others went fine.

Sent from my DE Moto X
Well it is now starting to cycle to a green light then to moto symbol, and then to green android. This is continueiously the cycle now. Also it's making computer see for a few seconds then it doesn't. So I'm hoping the battery was the issue.

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
It did say something to the effect when installing it make sure phone was on charge. I had just pulled mine off so it had a full charge. Idk if that was your issue or not.

aarong03

Reaction score
It did say something to the effect when installing it make sure phone was on charge. I had just pulled mine off so it had a full charge. Idk if that was your issue or not.

I'm hoping it is, I've been charging on my computer, but will use wall charger when I get home from work tonight.

jspradling7

Reaction score
Yea Root keeper fails on anything 4.3 or above. To be safe I'd return completely to stock. Use RSD to return to the original 4.1.2 firmware to avoid any issues. Up to you.

I was on 9.18.94 and the 4.4 update simply refused to complete. So, I flashed to 9.30.? and then took the 4.4 update. Worked like a charm.

aarong03

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how to use Rsd lite? I guess some people are having similar issues as mine with the update. Or if anyone has ideas on to correct my issue I'm all ears.

matbluvenger

Reaction score
This has been a thoroughly helpful forum and so I decided to join. Here's my first question/issue:

Non-rooted. This morning the KitKat update started. It got to about 16% and stopped. I gave it some time to start back up but a few hours later it was still on 16%. I then opted to reset the phone. Now the update won't start automatically and when I click on "System Updates" it does nothing.

Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve a factory reset? Thanks in advance for any help.

thecbass

Reaction score
This has been a thoroughly helpful forum and so I decided to join. Here's my first question/issue:

Non-rooted. This morning the KitKat update started. It got to about 16% and stopped. I gave it some time to start back up but a few hours later it was still on 16%. I then opted to reset the phone. Now the update won't start automatically and when I click on "System Updates" it does nothing.

Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve a factory reset? Thanks in advance for any help.

I had something similar happen to me yesterday. I saw the update message pop-up, but chose Install Later as I was rooted and wanted to remove before I started the update.

Later on last night I decided to go ahead with the update and clicked on Install Update. I didn't see anything happening for a minute or so and thought it wasn't downloading so I did a soft restart (Volume Down+Power). On restart, I got the Android installation animation with the status bar (which I thought was strange because there was no way the whole update could have downloaded that quickly) and of course it failed. Then I believe it gave the dying Android guy lying on his back.

So I did another soft restart and it booted up fine. Now I'm back to 4.1.2 and every time I click Sytem updates it says "Checking for available update. Please wait..." and then eventually comes back with "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later." I even did a factory date reset and it says the same thing. Hope I didn't screw something up.

mboswell

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
I had something similar happen to me yesterday. I saw the update message pop-up, but chose Install Later as I was rooted and wanted to remove before I started the update.

Later on last night I decided to go ahead with the update and clicked on Install Update. I didn't see anything happening for a minute or so and thought it wasn't downloading so I did a soft restart (Volume Down+Power). On restart, I got the Android installation animation with the status bar (which I thought was strange because there was no way the whole update could have downloaded that quickly) and of course it failed. Then I believe it gave the dying Android guy lying on his back.

So I did another soft restart and it booted up fine. Now I'm back to 4.1.2 and every time I click Sytem updates it says "Checking for available update. Please wait..." and then eventually comes back with "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later." I even did a factory date reset and it says the same thing. Hope I didn't screw something up.

You didn't screw anything up cause I just checked mine and got the same response. The other day it told me my phone was up to date. My guess is the update is getting close.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Droid Forums

thecbass

Reaction score
You didn't screw anything up cause I just checked mine and got the same response. The other day it told me my phone was up to date. My guess is the update is getting close.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Droid Forums

Great. Thanks for the reassurance!

Last edited:

matbluvenger

Reaction score
I actually opted to do a factory reset. It seemed like it would be good to start the update with a fresh slate.

However, now I select "System Updates" and it tells me I need a Motorola Service Account. I select to set one up and it hangs at the spinning loading circle and "Communicating with server. Please wait..."

Is there just an inordinate amount of traffic on the Motorola servers?