20,000 N1's sold in first week...

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by TxDoc, Jan 14, 2010.

1. TxDoc

TxDoc Member

Ratings:
    +2
    ...and some call it a "loser"? Not sure you can make that snap judgement. It is right after Christmas=many broke folks, and this idea is more of a long-term proposal , isn't it. Either way, I don't care what someone wants. They should spend their money on what best suits their wants, needs and wallet.

If this thread turns into a bashfest, the mods should delete it immediately. The intent is to see how writers try to immediately pass a permanent judgment on something without taking into account the multiple factors involved in a market.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

The Google Nexus One sold an estimated 20,000 units in its first week, according to market analytics firm Flurry. Although the Nexus One received a lot of buzz as Google’s own entry into the Android phone business, the sales number isn’t that impressive. We’ll see if Google actually confirms or disputes this number.
    Flurry monitors the usage of more than 10,000 developer applications on iPhone and Android platforms. It tracks over 25 million end user sessions per day. From that, it was able to figure out the first week sales for the Nexus One as well as prior phone launches such as the myTouch 3G, Droid, and iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 3GS sold more than a million units over the first three days of sales in June, 2009. The Droid, an Android phone built by Motorola and launched in November, sold 250,000 units in its first week, more than 12 times as much as the Nexus One.
    The Nexus One may seem like a dud. It has gotten good reviews for features such as Google Voice and Google Maps. But Flurry notes that it hasn’t lived up to the early expectations, and distribution, pricing, and marketing have not been aggressive. Having real in-store representatives to let you touch and feel a phone — like the big carriers do — may turn out to be a competitive advantage. Consumers may not be used to going to a Web site to buy a phone; and they maybe stuck in the middle of a contract with a carrier, another disincentive for switching. While Verizon spent $100 million marketing the Droid, and has plenty of customers ready to upgrade, Google merely sells its device directly to consumers via its own web site. Google also launched after the holidays.
    T-Mobile, the carrier partner for Nexus One, did not provide the same carrier co-marketing support as it did for the myTouch 3G launch. And Google has set its direct-to-consumer price for the Nexus One at over $500.

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm not bashing but is there a point here? The Droid crushed it in sales. Lots of this has been discussed as to why the Droid did better. Outside of that I'm not sure where you're going with this.

3. Big Cam

Big Cam Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,666
    It can only get better, especially when an improved version come to verizon. The more androids sold the more developers. I dont think every one has to buy a droid. THe droid is not for every one but the fact that it is becoming a phone where any one can get a google (android) phone that fits them best is great.
    With the 2.1 update for the eris, verizon will have atleast 3 phones that a person can choose from. And that is what we want. A point for the android team, no matter who scores, is a point for us all. What I like about android is I can go to a buddy on a different phone and different network and talk about an app or widget that one of us should check out.

5. TxDoc

TxDoc Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The point is the opposite of what is better. When any form of media claims something is the best, the greatest, better than the rest....people (or sheeple) run with it. They do not look at the reasons why different products really differ, how they came to be and what the long-term intentions are for the product and the company. They are not told the whole story, and the ideas/reasons that the stories are really not comparable. They do not consider, as Pilotcharles stated that it may benefit everyone, if some form of competition exists.

Every time one of these declarative articles comes out...it must be true and the final word. Most times it is only a blip without consideration to the whole story and how it affects everyone who makes up the market. By their numbers comparison of 20,000 units of the N1 to the Droid's 250,000 and final conclusion of the N1 being a "failure" would surely mean that the Droid is even more of a failure as it sold 250,000 in the first week as compared to the iPhone's 1,600,000.

Obviously wrong. I am not sure of the mindset (or capacity) of those that are being targeted by these articles. Many times the lack of depth of support for the conclusions is idiotic. Maybe I give the intended audience too much credit?

Don't dwell so much on the content of the article, but rather on what it represents. Most times it is best to think for yourself, rather than watch a funny commercial. :)