2 separate questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jntdroid, Jun 1, 2010.

1. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

1) Is there a way to revert back once an OC kernel has been flashed? Yes, I know I can just set SetCPU, but if I'm not overclocking, I'd rather trust the OS to handle it. edit: I did find on an older post that if you choose Droid in SetCPU instead of auto-detect, it'll essentially be like stock again - is that still the case?

2) If there is no baseband change, is it at all possible that different ROMs could affect 3G signal? I don't see how it could, but wanted to know from some more knowledgeable folks...
  2. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

1] If you have a Nandroid backup before you installed the OC kernel, you should be able to restore back to that kernel through SPRecovery. I'm sure there are stock kernels out there somewhere too, which you can just flash.

2] I don't think ROMs could affect 3G if there is no baseband update.
  3. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Sorta. The kernel will have a set of frequency "steps" available to it. When you install an overclock kernel, those steps include overclock speeds, like 600, 700, 900, 1000, etc. Chances are, there will be fewer slow speeds, and the stock speed might not even be available.

If you want to revert back to a "stock" kernel, you would just have to re-apply that kernel. One way to do that is to pull the boot.img file out of the update.zip. Alternatively, you can restore from a nandroid backup JUST the boot partition (I think SPRecovery and Clockwork both have this option). Use caution, as modules might not be properly restored, so you may need to manually reinstall those files. Your best bet is to just keep update.zip format versions of the kernels you want and re-apply them as needed.

If you have, say, a 900Mhz kernel installed and you want to run at only 600Mhz, you can either use SetCPU OR you can use a startup script to manually set it on boot. There are a number of apps and ROMs that allow for root-permission scripts to run.

Non-baseband changes shouldn't effect the signal strength, but they COULD effect the network speed, latency, and even the appearance. Other seemingly-unrelated things could also effect data speed - cpu usage, cpu speed, memory usage, lag, etc can all make it seem like the 3G signal is slower when it is really the phone that is just sending/receiving/processing the data slower.

There are a number of speed test benchmark applications you can use to test this. It's worth testing at a few different times of day on each ROM if you suspect that there is a discrepancy. You can always revert to a backup to re-test again if you want to, and then restore to the most recent again without any data loss.
  4. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

sorry, meant to respond yesterday - thanks for the great info, i'll have to give some of those tests a try