2 reasons iphone is better than droid

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by tktouch12, Feb 10, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've never even heard of Cydia......what is it?
  2. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok... I'm cheap bastage like anyone else... but why would you want pirated apps? What are most of them? 99 cents? $2? Just pay for them...
  3. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    WHAT?!?!? I don't want pirated app, trust me, money isn't an issue with me. I just want a place where people can upload their themes and hacks. Cydia doesn't even have cracked apps..
    That is not what this is about
  4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Would someone please educate me on what exactly "Cydia" is please? :)

Thanks
  5. Foolish

Foolish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cydia, is a typ off underground app stofre. It was creeated by a man named jay freeman in order for people to install third party software on the iphone. The original was installer and was created actually before the appstore lol....wonder where steve got the idea. Back to cydia. It is a server where anyone can join by adding a repository. It allows for apps that apple will not allow in the store. Everything from system tweaks, themes, google voice and yes even pirated apps..hell it even has pirated apps of the pirated apps. All programs are installed as deb files and downloaded via the program......Jay even has peoples hashes saved I order to preserve a jailbreak......I think a cydia app would be great. One thing though the iphone does have the moto beat in one are. Games
  6. briand515

briand515 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think Android needs Cydia since the market is open. There's no secret dictoral "approval" process like with the app store. Honestly the App Store and Apple scare the hell out of me. Cydia is big on the iPhone platform because the app store is so locked down and closed that if you want any degree of customization over the OS you need to go to Cydia. Jailbreaking is far from a real solution for the iPhones weaknesses especially considering Apple is constantly plugging the exploits they use to get in, not to mention the recent iPhones and iPods have to be connected to a PC to boot if jailbroken (tethered jailbreak).
  7. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    The only thing i can really say to this is that the jailbroken iphone has been around for quite a bit longer then the rooted droid. You will see more and more stuff as time progresses and programmers start toying with things.
  8. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    This is a +1 Response.
  9. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes, it is true the market is open BUT: 1) a good portion of hacks arent on the market 2) to join it costs $25 3) there is not a single metamorph theme on the market
    this would not be so much as a way around, but a database for all our hacks, themes, and roms to be in one place, so they are easily accessible. if no one agrees it would be nice to have, okay, but i think it would be great
  10. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    cydia is an alternative to Apple's App market. there are no restrictions really... they cater to jailbroken iphones/touches... lots of great free stuff there, and more recently they are including paid apps as well

edit: there is no piracy on the Cydia market. they are all unique programs
  11. MPTP

MPTP New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Droidulous is coming and Aptoide is out now. Granted Aptoide has only one repository atm, but Android's true Cydia equivalent will arrive at some point.
  12. natty_lite

natty_lite Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As everyone has already pointed out, there are already root applications available within the Android Market. Cydia for all intents and purposes doesn't offer any decisive advantages IMO, other than convenience.
    The iPhone is very themeable. In some ways more so than Android.

Not only do the Droid and the iPhone 3GS share the same CPU architecture, but the iPhone's Cortex A8 is actually clocked faster, and has a more powerful version of the PowerVR chip that's also present in the Droid. Also, there is a Cydia app that allows you to view virtually all flash embedded videos on the web. Its even smart enough to disregard ads and only display the video content. Cool stuff.
  13. Slighter

Slighter Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Second:icon_ laughup:
  14. victoriac

victoriac Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, just my 2 cents because I have owned all 3 versions of the iphone for the last 3 years and each one was jailbroken. I did not think I would ever use another phone BUT At&t drove me away and back to Verizon. I got the Droid and I can't believe how much I DON'T miss the iphone. The Droid is pretty much everything the iphone was except for me I can actually make phone calls now without worrying if the call will drop, Verizon is the more reliable network. I liked to theme my iphone (and I am not a gluesniffing child) only because I didn't want my phone to look like everyone else's and I couldn't stand the plain black background on the iphone and wanted my own background. The only way to do this is to jailbreak and have Winterboard installed from Cydia. I can't imagine needing anything like this for the Droid because we can customize it already. And all those stupid apps in Cydia you can pretty much already get on the Droid without having to "jailbreak" the phone. I am using my iphone as an ipod touch now. I love my Droid!:motdroidvert:
  15. jkwakopo

jkwakopo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i think using AT&T as a service provider is the worst out of all lol... other than multi tasking.. Their service in NYC is really really bad...I went there for couple of days during early January with my gf. My gf's iphone shows that she got full 3g service and full bars, but she wasn't able use her phone/internet for almost 1 hr... i mean.. no phone call was getting through her brand new 3 days old GS3. I was calling/sms/sending emails and she wasn't able to receive any of them for more than hour... So we asked this other guy who was holding his iphone...Of course he couldn't do anything on his iphone and told me he was sick n tired of his service, told me that I wouldn't believe what kinda of service they are getting NYC unless you live here. He also tole me half of his voice calls are getting dropped during conversation (I also experienced dropped calls from my gf's iphone at least 3times that day.. So rest of our trip, my droid stepped up the game and showed iphone what the real 3g experience was... Finding restaurant using Google Maps/Navi was really easy and quick... It was taking twice longer when i tried to use iphone for same tasks whenever it allowed me. My gf simply said...She blames AT&T for having terrible service and she hated her family for having AT&T family plan, other wise she would have gotten the droid. I also came from AT&T back 04 or 05... Only thing I miss about AT&T is GSM unlocked phones but looks like these unlocked phones will be getting charged for unlimited data plan requirement for all unlocked phones
    http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/02/...phones-even-unlocked-ones-onto-smartphone-da/

I only experienced these problems while I was in Manhattan...She has no problems with her phone or service (hardly notice any dropped calls) in DC Metropolitan Area ( Northern Virginia) and Blacksburg, VA. AT&T recently expanded their 3G to Blacksburg, VA and her iphone 3G download speed is little bit faster than Verizon, whenever I test with Speedtest.net. Iphone's os and touchscreen felt little bit more responsive while navigating (snappy ??). Other than that.. I like my Droid better.. Some Iphone owners (including my gf, we basically switch phones whenever we are together lol) doesn't really care multi tasking, but this was big downer for me... I love how quickly we can switch apps without closing apps....
Search tags for this page
android market

better than aptoide

cydia sucks to much hassel a rooted android is better
reasons iphones are better than droids
two reason the cost of iphone is better than droids
whats the aptoide equivalent for ipod?