2 Questions

awriternot

Reaction score
Hi All:

Is there any way at all to make the power button act as the shutter button??? Is hard to take a put with the screen shutter.

Also:

I'm putting a smart action on for when my screen is off. I already selected to disable background sync but what is the difference between that & disabling phone data? What does it do? Can I still get calls & texts?

TIA!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hi All:

Is there any way at all to make the power button act as the shutter button??? Is hard to take a put with the screen shutter.

Also:

I'm putting a smart action on for when my screen is off. I already selected to disable background sync but what is the difference between that & disabling phone data? What does it do? Can I still get calls & texts?

TIA!

I don't know anything about the shutter, but I can help you with the smart actions.

If you disable data, your 3/4g will turn off. You will still get calls, and SMS texts, but mms texts you won't. They will arrive and notify you, but will have to download once you wake the phone.

Your data will turn back on in a matter of a few seconds once the screen is turned back on. I also have my battery saver configured like this... if you aren't constantly picking up the phone and purring it down, its awesome, the battery can last about 2 days.

BUT... if you are constantly having the screen come on and go off, having the data turn off will kill the battery. Think of it like this, being in a no service zone and the phone is constantly having to look for a signal. BIG BATTERY DRAIN.

So set it up and use accordingly. Also remember to turn your phone off and let it charge to 100% once in a while.

Also, this battery in this phone prefers small charges throughout the day, not using it mostly up and then charging it. AND NEVER LET THE BATTERY DIE COMPLETELY!!!!

This info is not my own, it is passed to you from FoxKat.... thank you FoxKat.

Hope this helps?

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

OP
awriternot

awriternot

Reaction score
Yes, thanks so much. Does anyone know about the shutter?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yes, thanks so much. Does anyone know about the shutter?

No problem. Glad I could help

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hi All:

TIA!

I have been looking for an app that might have an option for the shutter and I havent found anything yet...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=slide.cameraZoom&feature=search_result Has feature to configure hardware buttons to perform functions. I use Volume down to take photo. There may be other third party camera apps that allow this as well. As for stand-alone apps that allow programming of buttons for particular apps, don't know of any.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

niteperson

Reaction score
Also, this battery in this phone prefers small charges throughout the day, not using it mostly up and then charging it. AND NEVER LET THE BATTERY DIE COMPLETELY!!!!

Just out of curiosity, why is this? Seems to defeat the purpose of having a large battery if it's better to charge it periodically throughout the day. The whole point is to get through an entire day without having to charge. Might as well have a regular battery otherwise.

I don't mean to come off sounding like a jerk, but I really would like to understand this better.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Just out of curiosity, why is this? Seems to defeat the purpose of having a large battery if it's better to charge it periodically throughout the day. The whole point is to get through an entire day without having to charge. Might as well have a regular battery otherwise.

I don't mean to come off sounding like a jerk, but I really would like to understand this better.

It's not that they engineered the battery to prefer short charges, it's just a characteristic of this particular battery chemistry. That's not to say that you can't charge to 100% and then use to 15% or so every time. These batteries are designed to last the intended lifespan of the phone which is about 2 years or so. They also prefer to not be charged to 100% as it stresses the battery and also shortens its lifespan.

The usable lifespan of these batteries is a minimum of about 500 complete charge cycles, or 100% of capacity 500 times over, and when the battery will no longer take more than 70% of rated charge capacity. If you charge to 100% and use to 15% every time, thereby using about 85% of capacity you'll get about 600-700 charges or better, or about 2 years or more, give or take.

However, if you reduce the rate of consumption between charges by doing partial charges throughout the day, for instance by charging to 80%, and then using to 30% as a routine, in other words using only 50% between charges, you can extend the lifespan to potentially as many as 1,500 to 2,500 cycles, or as long as 5-7 years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

niteperson

Reaction score
Thank you, FoxKat. Very informative. I do charge mine fully every night, but rarely run it down below 30-40%. As long as it lasts through my two year contract, I'll be a happy camper.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It's not that they engineered the battery to prefer short charges, it's just a characteristic of this particular battery chemistry. That's not to say that you can't charge to 100% and then use to 15% or so every time. These batteries are designed to last the intended lifespan of the phone which is about 2 years or so. They also prefer to not be charged to 100% as it stresses the battery and also shortens its lifespan.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

I wondered why my phone only charges to 95% then stops. Many times I have been forcing the charge to 100% by unplugging it then plugging it back in to get that last 5%. But this is actually not a good idea, just let it charge to the 95% or less?

One other question. I use both bada$$ battery and battery circle. Battery circle gives my current voltage. At full charge it is usually at 4.02 v. then voltage decreases as battery goes down. Is this a good indication as to the health of my battery. In other words, if all of a sudden or after time I notice at full charge it is only 3.8 v, does that mean my battery is losing its capacity?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I wondered why my phone only charges to 95% then stops. Many times I have been forcing the charge to 100% by unplugging it then plugging it back in to get that last 5%. But this is actually not a good idea, just let it charge to the 95% or less?

One other question. I use both bada$$ battery and battery circle. Battery circle gives my current voltage. At full charge it is usually at 4.02 v. then voltage decreases as battery goes down. Is this a good indication as to the health of my battery. In other words, if all of a sudden or after time I notice at full charge it is only 3.8 v, does that mean my battery is losing its capacity?

There are several reasons why the phone may appear to only charge to 95 percent. First, I'm assuming you're charging the phone while still leaving the phone powered on, correct? If so, this can be caused by the phone having been pulling power while the charger was trying to determine when the battery reached the full charge state, and by pulling power it confuses the battery's charging circuitry and leads it to believe that the battery has reached a full charge when it has not yet done so. This can actually cause the battery to only receive even as little as 70 to 80 percent of its full capacity in charge, and yet the battery indicator may show 90, 95, out even 100 percent. It is also known, that this can cause the charger to not sense correctly when the battery has actually reached a full charge and instead continue charging it beyond the maximum charge level which can cause potential battery damage or worse.

Another cause, is that when the battery does reach 100 percent capacity, the charger circuitry shuts down. This is done to protect the battery from being overcharged and possibly causing a runway charging situation that can cause the battery to become unstable. The underlying effect is that the phone if left on while charging will then start to draw power and slowly discharge after the charging circuitry has done its job. This will result in the power being used while the charging circuitry continues to monitor the state of charge. If the discharge reaches a level of 90 percent, the charging circuitry kicks back on again to boost the power back to 100 percent. If you take the phone off charge anytime between the end of one charging cycle and the beginning of another boost, you will see somewhere between 90 and 100 percent charge level. since you're using the bada$$ battery monitor, you will see the actual level to a single digit, where many people complain without those monitors that they take their phone off of charge and it only has 90 percent left shortly after removing it. This leads them to the impression that the phone has used 10 percent of its power over a very short period of time after pulling it from the charger, which is incorrect.

The only true way to assure a 100 percent full charge, is to power the phone off first, then plug in the power cord and allow the phone to complete a full charge while powered off. this allows the charging circuitry to monitor the batteries current draw and voltage levels accurately, and to accurately predict when the battery has reached near 100 percent charged so that I can reduce the charging rate to the trickle charge rate necessary for topping off and " fully saturating " the battery. Also as said before, it's actually better for the battery to not receive a 100 percent charge on a regular basis, as it is also better for the battery not to have been fully drained to 0 and allow the phone to shut off. Doing either or both will stress the battery, essentially reducing the life span of the battery, or in other words will cause the battery to be able to take less and less of a charge overtime.

As I said before, don't depend on the battery meter's accuracy for any reason other then to give yourself a relative indication of where you are in the charge level. Use your battery meter more like you use your car's gas gauge, where full is "full", not 95 percent or 100 percent, but just full, and also where the low fuel light (our low battery indicator at 15%), says "Hey I've got to get to a gas station quickly". Too many people are stressing out about their battery's capacity level, and concerned about getting every last single percentage of power out of the battery. If they used a battery more like they use their car gas tank, they would worry about running out of fuel and get to a charging station long before reaching 5 percent for instance, and wouldn't be so concerned about filling up and topping off to the point where the "tank" can't hold even another "ounce of gas". If people use their car gas gauge more like they're using their phones in many cases would see a lot of stranded cars who've run out of gas on the roads on a daily basis.

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I noticed a variation between the stock battery display and 3rd party battery apps (2x battery in my case)
Stock will say 100 were 2x's shows 95-99 as soon as I unplug.
this 1% on the 2x app is probably normal, but stock only reads by 5's so it stays at 100 until it gets to 95...

It keeps charging until 100 via stock but I also charge overnight with screen off

Edit: yeah what he said...

----posted maxx'ed out----

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
My stock battery meter only shows in 10% increments, whereas the others are in 1% increments. When I charge my phone while it is on it will charge until it is at 95% and report that it is fully charged. I can unplug it then plug it back in or use it and it will then continue to charge to 100%. Of course the stock battery meter shows it as 100% charge bc it only does 10% increments. You would only know that it is charging to 95% if you are using another battery meter that tracks in 1% increments

I wonder if anyone else who is using a 1% battery meter has the same experience with their Razr. And I wonder if the reason it does stop charging at 95% is bc, as FoxKat said, it is not healthy for the battery to fully charge. Given that, I will leave well enuf alone and unplug at 95%.

I have done the full charge cycles while the phone is off and I think it does the same thing...stops charging at 95% but I don't remember for certain. I will do that with the phone off tonight to see if it does only charge to 95% or to 100%.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I noticed a variation between the stock battery display and 3rd party battery apps (2x battery in my case)
Stock will say 100 were 2x's shows 95-99 as soon as I unplug.
this 1% on the 2x app is probably normal, but stock only reads by 5's so it stays at 100 until it gets to 95...

It keeps charging until 100 via stock but I also charge overnight with screen off

Edit: yeah what he said...

----posted maxx'ed out----

My stock battery meter only shows in 10% increments, whereas the others are in 1% increments. When I charge my phone while it is on it will charge until it is at 95% and report that it is fully charged. I can unplug it then plug it back in or use it and it will then continue to charge to 100%. Of course the stock battery meter shows it as 100% charge bc it only does 10% increments. You would only know that it is charging to 95% if you are using another battery meter that tracks in 1% increments

I wonder if anyone else who is using a 1% battery meter has the same experience with their Razr. And I wonder if the reason it does stop charging at 95% is bc, as FoxKat said, it is not healthy for the battery to fully charge. Given that, I will leave well enuf alone and unplug at 95%.

I have done the full charge cycles while the phone is off and I think it does the same thing...stops charging at 95% but I don't remember for certain. I will do that with the phone off tonight to see if it does only charge to 95% or to 100%.

Well, I can see we've totally hijacked this thread. Fortunately for the OP, his original questions were answered, so I will proceed, but let's wrap this up here and now, and if there are additional questions, jump into another thread for batteries to bring the discussion around, or better yet, use the search as I and others have addressed all these questions in one manner or another so many times before.

These meters show only 10% increments for a couple very good reasons. First, if they show you 1% increments, and you are watching them like a Hawk (as so many of you are), you're going to be disappointed when the rate of discharge seems to go very fast between full charge and let's say 80%, and then again between 30% and let's say 10% (as so many of you are). It's the nature of these batteries that they "appear" to discharge at different rates when in different ranges of the voltages, however it's simply a characteristic of the voltage drop-off slopes which are used to indicate the The State of Charge (SOC), that cause it to appear that way. The battery will discharge at whatever rate the phone is pulling the current. If current is being pulled quickly, the battery will discharge quickly, and vice versa.

Second, when it is saying 100% after a FULL Power Off Charge, the battery DOES have 100% of its capacity filled, however the moment you disconnect and turn it on it will start to deplete. After using about 10% of its stored power, the meter will drop to 90% and so on, so until it's used up what it believes is 10% of the full charge, it will continue to show 100%. This is obviously not accurate, but could you imagine the complaints if right after removing it, the meter said 90%? Just look at the concerns you have now with it showing 95% on the third party battery apps, and you get my point.

Furthermore if it is showing 100% after a full charge with Power On, it may not be AT 100%, but somewhere between what it thought was 100% and what it thinks is 90%, and like above will still show 100% until it reaches what it thinks is 90%, at which point it if left on the charger will begin the topping off charging phase again to boost back to what it thinks is 100%. This is all gray area at this point since it may ACTUALLY be at 85% when it "thinks" it's at 100%, so when it "thinks" it's at 90%, it may ACTUALLY be at 75%!

Third, they really don't want you to think the meter is that accurate for a really good reason...it isn't. So many factors play into determining the SOC that even the best equipment, costing several thousands of dollars are still not 100% accurate at determining SOC for a battery and from one testing manufacturer's equipment reading to another there may be as much as 10% or greater variance. There are now even highly advanced battery testing devices which read the battery's magnetic field (almost like an MRI or X-Ray conceptually) to get a different, perhaps a "truer" representation of exactly how much the battery has stored. So what are we to do? How about STOP WATCHING THE METER!

The SOC will be what it says it is when the charging is done with Power off. Screen Off and Power Off are not be confused.

With Screen Off, the phone is in a reduced operating state, which obviously uses no power for the screen, and also may reduce other background functions, reduce the CPU clock rate, and even turn off certain services as it finds no need for them. Still, it can go the other direction while on charge, such as if the phone rings, if it has apps/widgets/services running that call for things like webpage, social networking, location or weather updates, utilizing the Cellular, 3G &/or 4G radios, GPS, Bluetooth, etc.

It's these sudden and larger current draws that throw the monkey wrench into the charging and metering process and cause everything from incomplete charging being pegged as 100%, to overcharging, to the eventuall divergence of the battery "meter" to the actual battery "levels" or SOC, or in other words the meter telling you that you have 30% left, and 10 minutes later you're getting the "Low Battery" indicator at 15%, or that you have 100% charge immediately after pulling off charge (when you really only have 70% to 85%), and yet the phone seems to drop quickly in the first hour or two of use in a relatively short timeframe. Truth is it might have only consumed 10% - 15% but with the error regarding full it appears to have consumed upwards of 40%.

With Power Off, there is nothing to pull power running, nothing to confuse the charging/metering circuits, and the result is an unfettered charging process that continues at the full charging rate until the trigger point where it indicates the "saturation stage" begins, and then continues until the battery reaches its true 100% of capacity. In other words, 100% is only 100% of what it is believes is 100%. If charged with Power Off, it has the best chance of determining the true capacity and the actual point in charge it is, so that it can switch to the saturation stage accurately, continue and reach what it is able to determine is 100% of capacity and shut off.

See Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries for an in-depth (more than my in-depth) explanation and some great information.

for

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Truth is your phone ISN'T stopping at 95%, and "force-charging" to 100% is neither effective nor good for the battery. Read my previous post, visit the link there, and then...

I think YOU might LIKE THIS! Measuring State-of-charge - Battery University