2 Problems With These Forums

nyijedi

Reaction score
Hey all. I want to start by saying that I LOVE these forums. However, there have been two annoyances that I've been dealing with. Can anyone fill me in on whether I'm doing something wrong or whether this is just a problem with the site?

1) The little down arrow (go to first unread post in thread) is not available for every thread, even threads where new posts have been made since I last opened the thread. Does anyone know why this happens?

2) Even though I'm using the same account on both my computer and my Droid, the site doesn't seem to properly remember which threads I read on one device when I'm visiting the forums on the other device. For example, if I read posts 5-10 in one thread on my computer, then go to the same thread on my Droid, the site doesn't think I've read posts 5-10 yet.

These two issues can be very annoying when you're frequently visiting the site and want to read newer posts since your last visit. I was wondering whether this was an issue for anyone else.

Thanks!

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I want to start by saying that I LOVE these forums. However, there have been two annoyances that I've been dealing with. Can anyone fill me in on whether I'm doing something wrong or whether this is just a problem with the site?

1) The little down arrow (go to first unread post in thread) is not available for every thread, even threads where new posts have been made since I last opened the thread. Does anyone know why this happens?

2) Even though I'm using the same account on both my computer and my Droid, the site doesn't seem to properly remember which threads I read on one device when I'm visiting the forums on the other device. For example, if I read posts 5-10 in one thread on my computer, then go to the same thread on my Droid, the site doesn't think I've read posts 5-10 yet.

These two issues can be very annoying when you're frequently visiting the site and want to read newer posts since your last visit. I was wondering whether this was an issue for anyone else.

Thanks!

I'll forward this post to the Admins for clarification

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This has been forwarded on,.

@ Jessiesgirl..;please check your PM's

J

JohnDroid

We are using the most basic form of logic to tell what threads youve read and the ones you havent, etc... it uses the time youve been "viewing" a thread to tell and marks posts as read when they are older then the software time threshold. It's easier on the database server but not as accurate.

Unfortunately with this method there is no way to fix the problems you mention.

OP
N

nyijedi

Reaction score
Oh well. No big deal. Thanks a lot for the quick responses - it is appreciated!

pilot25

Reaction score
I have the same problem as #2. Sometimes when I go to "new posts" it says there are none and I have been on in a day or 2.

boatman2220

Reaction score
Refresh the page and it gets the new information updated but as far as syncing the Droid to your PC, I don't believe you can. You will see a check by the threads that you've replied to.

OP
N

nyijedi

Reaction score
Refresh the page and it gets the new information updated but as far as syncing the Droid to your PC, I don't believe you can. You will see a check by the threads that you've replied to.

I'm not really talking about "syncing the droid to my PC." Rather, what I'm talking about is that on almost every forum I regularly visit, it will remember what threads and posts you've already read - it "syncs" this information to your account. Thus, you can log into the forum from multiple PCs and threads that you have already read will be marked as read regardless of where you're visiting from. That doesn't happen on these forums.