2 issues - 1 important, the other annoying!

borregolinda

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Maxx
OK, Verizon had to send me another Droid when the old one wouldn't turn on after having only a month. They sent a "Like new certified replacement". I'm really wishing I'd stayed with a BB when I upgraded. When I place a phone call the screen goes dark and I don't have access to the keyboard. I can talk to the person and they hear me. When call ends, I can't hang up. The screen won't come back unless I take the battery out. When I re-boot it works for a couple calls then quits again. Makes it impossible to retrieve my voice-mail as well since I can't enter my password.

The other issue is e-mail. I make my mails read, delete just to the trash since I want them on my computer later, and they keep coming back in again as "new" mail! It's very annoying!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, Verizon had to send me another Droid when the old one wouldn't turn on after having only a month. They sent a "Like new certified replacement". I'm really wishing I'd stayed with a BB when I upgraded. When I place a phone call the screen goes dark and I don't have access to the keyboard. I can talk to the person and they hear me. When call ends, I can't hang up. The screen won't come back unless I take the battery out. When I re-boot it works for a couple calls then quits again. Makes it impossible to retrieve my voice-mail as well since I can't enter my password.

The other issue is e-mail. I make my mails read, delete just to the trash since I want them on my computer later, and they keep coming back in again as "new" mail! It's very annoying!

The screen is suppose to go dark when you press it against your ear of course but it should return once you pull it away from your ear. It's possible you may have a case of bad luck with the Droids you got.

As far as your email issue goes without knowing how you have your email configured, if it's pop3 forwarded or if you're using the email client I can't answer that question. When I trash my emails they stay trashed.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
As Hook said screen should go dark. Do a search though there are few threads about this with varying causes and a few solutions. But it sounds like you got one with a bad proximity sensor.

As to the mail issue it sounds like you're using a pop instead of an imap account/settings. I've not used pop in years so not sure what, if any changes have been made but in general your mail client can't make changes to the mail on the server it just polls to see what's there, if there's anything there that's not on the phone it d/l's it. Some email clients (try K-9) overcome this via internal monitoring but in general if you are using multiple devices than you need IMAP to keep everything straight. Many email providers support IMAP you might just need to turn it 'on' or configure it. The other alternative is to get an account that does have IMAP (like Gmail) and use it to pull the email from your other account(s). Not to mention the Gmail 'pushes' email to your phone so you get it as it's received rather than having to have your email client poll the sever at intervals (which wastes battery).

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hook is correct about the screen. I think there is a app called screbel (not sure this is the correct spelling) that keeps your screen from going black. I use Gmail and Exchange and like Hook, I've not experienced any problems with trashed emails.

Mike

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hook is correct about the screen. I think there is a app called screbel (not sure this is the correct spelling) that keeps your screen from going black. I use Gmail and Exchange and like Hook, I've not experienced any problems with trashed emails.

Mike

screebl, and the only reason I correct is because if the OP searches for it he'd never find it with it misspelled. :)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

screebl, and the only reason I correct is because if the OP searches for it he'd never find it with it misspelled. :)

Thanks Hook! I could not recall. Mike

toastedoats

Reaction score
My current CLNR (3rd in 2 weeks) is doing this as well. The only way to get the screen to come back on is open the slider

The QC on the refurbs is deplorable

Last edited:
OP
borregolinda

borregolinda

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Maxx
My current CLNR (3rd in 2 weeks) is doing this as well. The only way to get the screen to come back on is open the slider

Tried opening the slider, Nada. I understand it goes dark when you put it to your ear. But it should let me key in my password, go to speaker, hang up, etc. if it's away from my ear! Hitting a Verizon store Thursday.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're refurb should be like new condition and work as well.
I am still using a refurbed Droid, as my first was collecting dust under the screen. I've had no quality issues with it.

Other than the cheesy gold paint flaking off the camera button... but that's device inherent :)

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score

The QC on the new Moto Droids appear to be equally bad. Been through three "new ones" in the last month and phone quality is horrible. Is Motorola using all the old ones that failed QC while they ramp up for the X?

I've had two previous Motorola flip phones that were great. The Startac was the greatest phone ever mad. The recent flip phone blew away the envy predecessor.