2 EASY Things I would love to see fixed

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Acid7711, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Acid7711

Acid7711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It seems everyone's all interested in porting 2.1 things over to 2.01, well I've got some things regardless of which you're running that annoy me.

Number One: Under regular email, the arrows seem backwards. The left arrow goes next message, the right is previous message. To me, that seems backwards. I've tried to fix it on my own, with no luck. Sadly. To top it off, turning landscape makes the arrows disapear. This should be as simple as finding what the arrows do, and taking the left one's code and copying it to the right, and vice-versa. should be an easy fix. I undstand the landscape fix would be far more difficult, but it would be nice. I sure with we could somehow get the homescreen (like in gde, etc) to rotate to landscape without pulling the keyboard out. *shrugs*.. I'm sure in time that will be fixed as well.

Number Two: I would LOVE to figure out how to put a percentage on top of the stock battery meter. Even if it's not 100% accurate. Yes, I've seen the widgets, yes I've seen the ugly status bar apps in the status tray. They don't cut it. It's like having to guess where my battery is all the time unelss I go manually check it. I hate to quote the iphone here, but the battery monitor on that phone is done right, and we need this. Should be an easy fix, just take the icons, (wherever they are, I've looked, can't find them) and photoshop a percentage on top. Shouldn't be hard at all.

I'm a web developer, not a java. I took my best shot and I failed.......horribly. :( Maybe someone has some insight on these?

2. Benjamin Crist

Ratings:
    +0
    1) Honestly, the stock email app is kinda weaksauce imo.

2) Yeah, I downloaded a widget for that issue, but having it on the notification bar as you are saying would be much nicer.

3. Acid7711

Acid7711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it is very weaksauce, but I still need it for my work emails, and I'm basically stuck with either simple pop3, or Imap (which fits my needs/uses) better.

So, I can live with it, but I hate that the arrows seem *reversed*

But yeah, the widgets are ok, but I don't have the space on my screen for a huge one, nor do I really care for one, and the status bar ones are flat out ugly and a waste of space as well. I like things stream lined :D

4. DigitalRapture

DigitalRapture New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Even simpler. Just swap the left & right image names & recompile (but then the arrows will be on the opposite side of the screen)

5. crdnilfan

crdnilfan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i don't actually use the Email.apk app, i use gmail

but the location of the files that i think you're looking for is

/system/app/Email.apk/res/drawable-hdpi\*.png

you'll need to use adb to pull them and push them back.

-----edit

also, the built in battery meter goes by 20%, i'm gunna go ahead and add the percentages to the actual stock battery anyways...but again, it'll be only by 20%, should have it in about 20 min (this is literally the first editing of anything droid related yet lol, fun first project)

-----edit

files edited, rebooting now to see how it worked.

ugh, i forgot the charging battery percentages!! the normal ones work though, yay!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/12716-percentage-stock-battery.html#post111723

#5 crdnilfan, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  6. Acid7711

Acid7711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid :)

7. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using an iPhone for awhile and it's hard for me to get used to the zoomed in email and the fact that it doesn't often format properly. It's interesting to me that the company that provides Gmail couldn't make a better email client on their own OS.

8. Acid7711

Acid7711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but their priority was themselves, gmail, not for supporting 3rd party email solutions.

Besides, this phone just came out. I remember what my old Storm was like the day I got it...clunky, slow, un-useable. Couple underground releases/hybrids later and it was a completely different device. I expect to see the same with ANY phone.

Remember, the iphones on what, revision 3 or something already???

9. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was talking about the Gmail client not showing proper HTML formatting. Which does belong to Google so why is that not a priority. I don't even use the other email client. This phone did just come out, but the email thing has been an Android issue since the G1. So Android 2.1 will have Live Wallpaper and a new launcher, but the Gmail app is still a mess. What gives?

I would rather have proper core functionality than Live wallpaper.......

10. Acid7711

Acid7711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Write a better one then. The source code's right on their site....go take a whack and do what you want with it..... :icon_rolleyes: I know you're response is going to be 'I shouldn't have to'. Well, if you don't like the phone or an aspect of the phone, find another one, deal with it, email the devs, or change it yourself. Go back to your precious iphone if you love it so much and it's so perfect. If worse comes to worse, use a decent web client for it in the mean time.

You, and probably not many others, have any idea what all gmail truely entails. It could be far more difficult to implement additional features that they're working on.

I personally find that it's 'adequate' at best, it gets the job done for what I need. I understand it could be better, a lot of things could be. It's only going to get better with time. People expect too much sometimes from an 'open sourced' app. Open source takes a lot more work, money, and time to properly develop than throwing something like MS into the game.

Compare 1.6 or lower to what 2.0 or even 2.1 have become. Give it time and let it grow. Open source doesn't happen over night.

#10 Acid7711, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  11. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I realize things don't happen instantly and I think you need to take a chill pill. I was stating a real issue that many others have mentioned before me and you freak out and get all defensive.

I will reiterate my point that I think there are more important things to work on like the Gmail client than things like Live Wallpapers and new App launchers.....