2.3 Update Answer for Rookie

jcw265

Reaction score
OK I have read a bunch of threads on the 2.3 update for droid 2. I just want a straight answer. I have droid 2 rooted !! ( yes I can root ) and I have 2.2 and love it, I am getting the lovely 12 hour message that my droid is ready to install to which I tell it NO !! So thus my question Do I have to update to 2.3 and If so will I lose my ROOT !! And if this be the case can I just re root afte the update or must I unroot to get the update,

P.s Is there a rom out there that does all this for me, I can do all the procedures I am just soo confused on what some people say to do versus the other !! Heck I have no problem hitting the dang install later button every 12 hours if thats what it takes !!!! LOLOLOL kidding

I have the following root apps installed Clear Cache, Ad free T Backup

as always thank you all for your time and help

fox_dye

Reaction score
Well android 2.3 has not even been announced yet so it is probably a Verizon update of some sort. It might cause you to lose root so I wouldn't mess with it. Boot in to clockworkmod recovery and go to advanced and toggle off ota updates. Should clear things up for you

Sent from a galaxy far far away.....

pool_shark

Reaction score
You don't have to update it but there really is no reason not to do it.

Yes, installing it will take away your root, but you can re-root using whatever method you choose.

I did not un-root before installing the update, but if you renamed or deleted any preinstalled apps, they will have to be put back in place or the update will fail.

OP
J

jcw265

Reaction score
Sorry for the misplace post I saw it after I did it !! again sorry for I have read the forum rules !! So you are saying not to use clockwork and go ahead and update to the verizon 2.3 then after it installs just root like I did before ?? will this then allow all the root apps to function proper or will I have to reinstall all the root apps again

pool_shark

Reaction score
Root apps should function as normal.
I don't use any type of clockwork or special ROM. I just rooted and renamed apps.

OP
J

jcw265

Reaction score
OK I have not uninstalled any apps or rename any , though I have brought down several apps etc... so just to finish this I have to do nothing but install app and re root no rename etc...

OP
J

jcw265

Reaction score
Just got done ! TY all for your help, Took droid and installed the 2.3 from verizon which installed with no issues, I had changed nothing or renamed anything, Then using SDk file and CMD program re rooted my Droid 2 all my root apps work just fine did not have one issue during the install or the re root and my droid is up and running free tether all the cool root apps and I owe it all to this forum !! TY TY Ty

I love myyyy DROIDDDDDDDDDDD