2.3 GB update delayed to Droid X...D2G even longer???

tebower

Reaction score
I think that Motorola clearly understands how they themselves designed and coded the firmware. While the D2G has befuddled amateur developers (resulting in a lack of ROMs), there is no reason to think that the people at Motorola lack the same understanding.

Following that logic, there is also no reason to believe that it would take Motorola's developers any longer than any other handset to provide an update. I think that Motorola has been one of the industry's most faithful when it comes to addressing fragmentation. They will release updates for all their handsets in short order.

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Two questions; 1.) Will I have to recover my phone thru bootstrap or Clockwork Mod in order to flash the GB update when it comes out for the D2G, or can I just flash it over and make sure I wipe data/cache?

2.) Will having GB on the D2G help in devs making more roms?

Can't wait to get GB and when they make a new fission and when team Git r done makes some roms for GB! Goodtimes lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Asphyx

Reaction score
Two questions; 1.) Will I have to recover my phone thru bootstrap or Clockwork Mod in order to flash the GB update when it comes out for the D2G, or can I just flash it over and make sure I wipe data/cache?

2.) Will having GB on the D2G help in devs making more roms?

If the D2/DX instructions are any indication you will have to reflash the original SBF or go back to stock (nandroid) and unfreeze blur for the D2G before you attempt to flash the leaked GB update. I believe the leak is also a SBF but I may be mistaken.

As for question 2 it may or may not. It will be possible to make a GB custom easier than it is now but the same limitations of the bootloader will apply.
I sure wouldn't expect to see CyanogenMod anytime soon after unless the leaked and the official OTA can be used to reverse engineer the bootloader (they should both have different signatures so we will have more keys to work with)

And since this is probably not the last update we are likely to see for the D2G (Ice Cream Android 2.4 is prob next and last on the list) my guess is that we will not see any movement on the locked bootloader or a reasonable selection of custom roms until then.

But for every update that is made available the more signage keys will be available and the more keys the greater the likelihood that the lock will be broken and that will open the floodgates of custom rom if and when that happens.

That or a possible leak of the source for the bootloader from Moto might speed things along as far as selection is concerned.
But I'm not really 100% up on whats in the bootloader or what the issues custom coding for it are.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I wonder how 2.4 will be like. Suppose to be a mix of honeycomb and gb.
IMO I probably wont flash roms on this phone since its my first android phone, but once I get closer to getting a new phone then it'll get flashed. But as the post above me said, they more keys that get signed the closer we might get to cracking it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Asphyx

Reaction score
I wonder how 2.4 will be like. Suppose to be a mix of honeycomb and gb.
IMO I probably wont flash roms on this phone since its my first android phone, but once I get closer to getting a new phone then it'll get flashed. But as the post above me said, they more keys that get signed the closer we might get to cracking it.

From everything I have read,
Ice Cream (2.4) will pretty much be Gingerbread with some changes so that programs written for the Dual Core Honeycomb will run on the single core Android for phones.

Not sure but my guess is it will also allow support for dual core procs in future phones as well but will allow programs that were written specifically to run on a dual core system to work in a single core enviornment.

Which is probably mostly aimed at Game compatability. Then a game developer (or any developer for that matter) who writes for a dual core Honeycomb pad will not have to release a different version for the phone.