2.3.4 system update November 15

Timar99

Reaction score
was able to do first update but not second due to mem issues. I notice no difference though, what are the differences everything looks the same. I checked and it does say 2.3.4 under software but looks just like 2.2

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

maestitia

Reaction score
I had the problem with the low memory. Tried different things to force the update. Forced update wouldn't reboot when it said it would, then would say the system was up to date. Finally just reset the phone back to factory settings. The update was pushed through again and it worked just fine. No low memory warnings, everything reads in system as it's supposed to. I don't know if factory reset is an option for everyone, but it worked for me.

bjy20716

Reaction score
We had the message to update but did not do it at that time. Now when we try to pick system updates it says we are up to date but we have 2.2 still.

How do you force the update?

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Same problem here. Update yesterday went fine. Update this morning said not enough space. Deleted some apps, etc and went back to system settings to update and it says up to date v4.06.605.3.

Did you read my thread on this issue.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

maestitia

Reaction score
How do you force the update?

I found this on another forum this morning when I was trying to troubleshoot it. Instead of changing the clock ahead a year, I had to do it for just a month because it would revert back to the current year. I couldn't get it to work past the reboot option, but you may have better luck with it.

[ method I ] Check for updates

1. From the Home screen, Press Menu key.
2. Tap Settings and scroll down the screen
3. Tap About Phone and tap System software updates
4. On the System software update screen, tap Check now.
5. If any software update message shows up, please follow the on-screen instruction.

[ method II ] Reconnecting to the Google server.

1. Open up your phone's dialer.
2. Key in *#*#2432546#*#*
3. If any software update message shows up, please follow the on-screen instruction

[ method III ] Force phone to check for update.

Please manually change the date on your phone to one year from today. This will trigger an automatic check in with the update servers and you will get the appropriate update.

1. Menu > Settings > Date and Time
2. Un-check Automatic to prevent the date and time from automatically updating
3. Change the date to one year from today (under Set Date)
4. Go back to the main settings and select About Phone > Check For Update and follow the prompts

Got the info here. Good luck.

maximum

Reaction score
Only bad part of the whole update is the old market (2.3.4) is part of the update.

staceybassoon

Reaction score
I tried to change the date and it just kept going back to today. Grrr... Somebody doesn't want us trying to override the system!

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
To get rid of your low space warning, just move the big hog apps to your SD card, and clear all cookies form data and the sort from your browser, also try history eraser from the market, another thing to do to save battery life, my Incredible has been off the charger for 3 hrs now and I am still at 100 battery life as I type this, go to settings then applications and go to running services, stop anything that kills the battery like Facebook, Google+, especially backup assistant, now I am at 99, and my screen is set to 3/4 brightness, and I am on my offices WiFi.

By the way I don't get the low memory warning after I moved the hog hungry apps to my SD card.

Last edited:

TonyStark

Reaction score
A wise man once said....

"This is what I got to work to get the 4.08.605.2 update installed successfully on two different Incredibles, both stock/non-rooted, one with a lot of extra apps, and one with only two extra apps. It looks like a lot of work, but is actually very easy to complete, and NO factory reset is required:

- Move as many apps as you can to the SD card (for those having issues accessing them on the SD card, the upgrade to 4.08.605.2 cured this for me).
- Clear out as much text messaging space as you can, especially images. Alternately, you can delete them all. Messages eat a lot of processing memory on these phones.
- Hit the Clear Data (and/or Clear Cache) button on large use applications (email, Gmail, facebook, etc.) After doing this, do not access those apps until after installing the update. For some, you will have to sign in again, but no data was lost since they're synced items. (To do this step, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, select the All tab at the top, and go into each app you want to manage.)
- Press & hold the Power Button and choose Restart.
- As soon as the screen goes blank, press and hold the Power Button and the Volume Down button at the same time.
- A white menu screen will appear, it will take a second and it will perform a small self-check. Then using your Volume Down button, scroll down one spot to Recovery and press the Power button to select it. The phone will immediately show the HTC Incredible screen.
- Then a black screen will appear showing the phone and a red triangle with exclamation point, at this point press and hold the Volume Up button and then press the Power button. Using your Volume Down button again, scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition and press the Power button to select it. This will not delete anything on the phone, just clear a stagnant memory cache.
- After this is complete, select Reboot System Now. Let the phone restart completely.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > System Updates and see if the update shows. If it does, simply select Download or Reboot & Install. If it fails again due to "not enough memory", you need to clear more apps and data and repeat the above steps until it works.
- If the update does not show, back out to Settings, choose Date & Time, uncheck the Automatic box, and set the date 1 year ago from today (11-xx-2010), and hit Ok.
- Return to About Phone > System Updates, it may still show "Your system is currently up to date." Back out and then go right back in to System Updates. It should be downloading the 4.08.605.2 patch update file. Reboot and Install when it prompts you. If it fails again due to "not enough memory", you need to clear more apps and data until it works.
Give it time to install, on one of my phones it took only a few minutes and on the other it took closer to 10 minutes. On one phone the Droid eye appeared for only a minute and then the phone started up completely and on the other it appeared for closer to five minutes. After the install, remember to return your Date & Time to automatic.
For any apps that aren't accessible and show up with the Droid icon, you should be able to select and remove the icon and simply add it back from your App menu. Alternately, you can re-download it from your Market.
Hope this helps! "