2.3.4 Firmware Update

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
I've noticed two things.
1. I don't even have a stock clock app. At least not that I can find.
2. I got the update last night and my market hasn't changed to the new one.
Am I missing something?

sent from a thing using an app

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
Ok, scratch that. I found the clock app. Apparently its one of those elusive HTC apps that hide behind the search button.
Why would they do that and how can I make a shortcut to this type of app?

ABQNM

Reaction score
1. The clock app "disappearing" is a known issue with this phone after upgrading software. Factory reset will bring it back, but you lose everything.

2. The market not updating... Not sure about that. What does your software version say in settings > about phone? Maybe the update did not take or something went wrong in the install.

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
For software i got 4.08.605.3
And the clock didn't necessarily "disappear", it just shows up if you do a search for it

ABQNM

Reaction score
Yeah you got the new software. For some reason the new market doesn't like this phone. I would try deleting data for the market and see if it updates in a day or two. As for the clock, it seems like it disappears from Rosie, but stays on the phone. Possibly an alternative launcher like GO Launcher or Launcher Pro will show it. I know you can get to it with Launcher Pro because it allows you to make shortcuts directly to Activities and if you can find it with the search you can find it there. You just may have to try a few options because I guarantee there is more than one Activity for the clock and not all of them can be launched independent of the app.

Pro-Tip: If you don't like Launcher Pro but like a different launcher instead, installing Launcher Pro will give you the Activity option in the Shortcut menu for most launchers like GO and ADW. You don't have to use Launcher Pro, but having it there lets you create shortcuts to just about anything on the phone, even sometimes specific pages within an app. I don't think it works with Rosie (Sense launcher) though.

These are some options if you don't want to reset to get it back.

GoldinEagle

Reaction score
I'm not reseting for that though. I'll deal with it.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

I posted this on the Verizon forums, but figure I'll repost here if it helps:

I had the same issue (broken clock) right after I upgraded my Incredible 2 to Gingerbread. The clock widget was working just fine at first, but then a few days later, no alarm and no clock. Searched for a resolution and came to this thread before and realized there was little hope without a factory reset, which I was unwilling to do.

Today, however, I downloaded LauncherPro (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.fede.launcher) because I was wanting to test it out. When I looked at the apps in the menu while using LauncherPro, I noticed that the Clock app was suddenly showing up. I decided to uninstall LauncherPro (just to see) and found that the clock widget on the HTC home screen suddenly worked again. I don't know if it will last, or if you would want to rely on it, but it might be a useful way for some of you to get the clock widget working again without having to do a factory reset and risk losing information while we are still waiting for an official resolution from HTC/Verizon.

ABQNM

Reaction score

I had the same issue (broken clock) right after I upgraded my Incredible 2 to Gingerbread. The clock widget was working just fine at first, but then a few days later, no alarm and no clock. Searched for a resolution and came to this thread before and realized there was little hope without a factory reset, which I was unwilling to do.

Today, however, I downloaded LauncherPro (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.fede.launcher) because I was wanting to test it out. When I looked at the apps in the menu while using LauncherPro, I noticed that the Clock app was suddenly showing up. I decided to uninstall LauncherPro (just to see) and found that the clock widget on the HTC home screen suddenly worked again. I don't know if it will last, or if you would want to rely on it, but it might be a useful way for some of you to get the clock widget working again without having to do a factory reset and risk losing information while we are still waiting for an official resolution from HTC/Verizon.

You must have been typing that when I posted. lol Though mine was not tested, it appears you validated my suggestion without even knowing it. It looks like it is a Rosie thing for some reason. Not sure why Rosie loses apps though. I have been running MIUI for a month and really like it (as long as I am not using the MIUI i* ripoff launcher) because I really don't like Sense that much. I was running GO Launcher over Sense for almost 2 months and never had any of these issues, even while upgrading. I think Rosie just sucks at handling being upgraded.

Also, welcome to the forum!

nikecar

Reaction score
I recommend Alarm Klock from the market. It's free and works flawlessly. Never failed to go off plus it has the slide to dismiss like the Moto Blur alarm and it makes it hard to accidentally dismiss when trying to snooze. The interface is basic but the app rocks. You can even set it to gradually increase volume from x% to x% over x seconds. I recommend it. Then you don't have to worry about a factory reset right now.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.
i use AlarmDroid. I like the features, although I had to stop the math questions as its hard to figure out algebra at 7am.

i have the clock and it works fine. it just won't click to get the apps in the clock as before.

ABQNM

Reaction score
i use AlarmDroid. I like the features, although I had to stop the math questions as its hard to figure out algebra at 7am.

i have the clock and it works fine. it just won't click to get the apps in the clock as before.

There seem to be 2 people with 2 slightly different clock problems relating to the upgrade.

With your issue, the factory reset is the solution for it, unfortunately.

Something to try though: As I do not have a version of sense that I can boot into at the moment without flashing, I can't test this for you. If you install launcher pro from the market (free) and then press your home button and check default and then tap the Sense launcher, everything should look normal. If you long press to add something and choose shortcut, do you see Activities with a Launcher Pro icon (yellow house) at the top?

If you do not, then you would have to switch to Launcher Pro or another launcher to try it. (Launcher Pro includes the shortcuts for the activities and works with multiple launchers - I have Go Launcher and Launcher Pro installed. I use Go Launcher, but I keep LP for the Activity Shortcuts since I like being able to go directly to certain features in certain apps.)

If you can select Activities, go into that and here is where it gets a bit tricky. I do not remember the package name of the clock, so it could be listed as Clock or htc.clock or something similar. Once you find the clock and tap on it, you will see a list of the activities contained in the package. Not all of them can be launched independent of the app, but some can. Try finding the alarm clock portion and choose it. You will get a shortcut on the homescreen now that will launch that particular activity. If it doesn't open, just delete and try again, as all activities cannot be launched directly. This may let you into the alarm, etc without having to factory reset.

If I had a running version of Sense right now I would have tested that in advance, so I hope that makes sense to you.

nikecar

Reaction score
There seem to be 2 people with 2 slightly different clock problems relating to the upgrade.

With your issue, the factory reset is the solution for it, unfortunately.

Something to try though: As I do not have a version of sense that I can boot into at the moment without flashing, I can't test this for you. If you install launcher pro from the market (free) and then press your home button and check default and then tap the Sense launcher, everything should look normal. If you long press to add something and choose shortcut, do you see Activities with a Launcher Pro icon (yellow house) at the top?

If you do not, then you would have to switch to Launcher Pro or another launcher to try it. (Launcher Pro includes the shortcuts for the activities and works with multiple launchers - I have Go Launcher and Launcher Pro installed. I use Go Launcher, but I keep LP for the Activity Shortcuts since I like being able to go directly to certain features in certain apps.)

If you can select Activities, go into that and here is where it gets a bit tricky. I do not remember the package name of the clock, so it could be listed as Clock or htc.clock or something similar. Once you find the clock and tap on it, you will see a list of the activities contained in the package. Not all of them can be launched independent of the app, but some can. Try finding the alarm clock portion and choose it. You will get a shortcut on the homescreen now that will launch that particular activity. If it doesn't open, just delete and try again, as all activities cannot be launched directly. This may let you into the alarm, etc without having to factory reset.

If I had a running version of Sense right now I would have tested that in advance, so I hope that makes sense to you.

It's not a big deal for me. I'm not going to install something just for getting those things back. I've always used alarmdroid which I like and downloaded a stopwatch/timer app for free. As long as the clock and the animation works, I'm fine.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

dkshaer

Reaction score
I'm a little confused about whether I have the update or not.

Under about phone, software information, it says I have Android 2.3.3

Under status update, the name is 4.08.605.3

When I check for new software, although the search takes a while, I do get an option to download new software. But the download fails every time.

So, am I current or not? I haven't gotten a notification of an update, as I did from 2.2 to 2.3.

Thanks

dkshaer

Reaction score
Never mind. Found my solution. Needed to clear data from download manager.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums