2.3.4 Firmware Update

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
This update most likely blocks root from what I am hearing. I wouldn't take it if you are rooted or planning to root.

I posted the following over at Xda earlier. Make sure you have a backup before you do this as it shouldnt cause problems but better safe than sorry.

...If people are worried about getting the ota and losing root...with root explorer in rw(read write) go to etc/security then find the file called otacerts.zip. Rename it otacerts.bak.

Sent from my Incredible 2

Reaction score
I just need to clarify a few things. First of all, I'm rooted and running the stock ROM. I made a nandroid right after rooting and also backed up my ROM using ROM manager so I guess I have 2 good backups of my stock ROM, is this correct? If I want this OTA update, should I unroot first (if I need to, I'll research unrooting later) or just allow the update to go and then worry about rooting again later once a new procedure has been developed? To be honest, the only reason I rooted was to freeze the boatware. I was pretty happy with the rest of the phone the way it was. It was plenty fast without overclocking and running GO Launcher over Sense seemed to work just fine. If the update improves signal strength and some other things, I may want the update. Thanks again for taking the time to educate me on some of these issues!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I am optimistic this has something to do with the signal issues. x fingers x

(I don't have signal issues but someone that I talked into this phone does...)

estafusisx

Reaction score
I just need to clarify a few things. First of all, I'm rooted and running the stock ROM. I made a nandroid right after rooting and also backed up my ROM using ROM manager so I guess I have 2 good backups of my stock ROM, is this correct? If I want this OTA update, should I unroot first (if I need to, I'll research unrooting later) or just allow the update to go and then worry about rooting again later once a new procedure has been developed? To be honest, the only reason I rooted was to freeze the boatware. I was pretty happy with the rest of the phone the way it was. It was plenty fast without overclocking and running GO Launcher over Sense seemed to work just fine. If the update improves signal strength and some other things, I may want the update. Thanks again for taking the time to educate me on some of these issues!

If the new radio is all you want you can just flash it manually (i think it came out on XDA a few days ago) it could be a LONG time before revolutionary supports this update. And considering this update comes with a new HBoot (as someone said a few posts back) you probably won't even be able to do a nandroid restore to get root back if you update. If root is at all important to you DO NOT update.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

Reaction score
If the new radio is all you want you can just flash it manually (i think it came out on XDA a few days ago) it could be a LONG time before revolutionary supports this update. And considering this update comes with a new HBoot (as someone said a few posts back) you probably won't even be able to do a nandroid restore to get root back if you update. If root is at all important to you DO NOT update.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

Ok, thanks. Whatever happened to HTC making the phones easier to root? Geez.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Whatever happened to HTC making the phones easier to root? Geez.

They want it done officially, so that way if you break it they won't get it back as a warranty replacement. So they are locking things up tight.

The OTA has a new hboot version in it 0.98.0000 up from 0.97.0000 so I would avoid the OTA if you want to keep root or plan to root in the future. There is no telling if/when an updated procedure will be available for the new OTA.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I am optimistic this has something to do with the signal issues. x fingers x

(I don't have signal issues but someone that I talked into this phone does...)

I can confirm a signal issue update. I updated the phone of the woman that I talked into getting this. She ran home at lunch time and was ecstatic to find she no longer drops calls in her house. Very signifigant change for her. The phone worked all over her house and only got a bit sketchy... but still usable... in her basement.

Reaction score

ABQNM

Reaction score
Can I install this radio with the stock ROM?

The radio is independent of the rom, so if you are s-off then you should be able to install just the radio on the stock ROM.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

Reaction score
Thanks, one other question. If rooted with stock ROM, will accepting the OTA hose up my phone other than maybe losing root? What other bad things can or will happen? I'm not ready to start playing with custom ROMs on this phone yet and just wanted to root to freeze bloatware. Doing that didn't really speed up the phone much. Starting to think it's not so bad to not be rooted at this time. :)

ABQNM

Reaction score
Thanks, one other question. If rooted with stock ROM, will accepting the OTA hose up my phone other than maybe losing root? What other bad things can or will happen? I'm not ready to start playing with custom ROMs on this phone yet and just wanted to root to freeze bloatware. Doing that didn't really speed up the phone much. Starting to think it's not so bad to not be rooted at this time. :)

If you rooted with revolutionary or alpharev then I believe the custom hboot will prevent itself from being overwritten but you will lose root for sure. If the patched hboot does prevent itself from upgrading then all you have to do is reinstall cwm and root again since you should still have s-off. I cannot guarantee anything though as I have not tried it since I don't run sense.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

Conz

Reaction score
so for non rooted phones, the only thing that was different for me was the new market. anything else?

OP
P

pjniez

Reaction score
so for non rooted phones, the only thing that was different for me was the new market. anything else?

A new version of the radio which is supposed to have improved the wireless signal.

Based on my limited unscientific testing, it does seem to be better... I usually drop calls around the house. But today, I haven't drop any.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums