2.3.3 RUINED my phone, reboots during .mp3 playback

jep0617

Reaction score
Since the gingerbread 2.3.3 update, my phone reboots constantly. All but one time it has happened during .mp3 playback, with the 1 other incident occuring during web browsing. I listen to .mp3's a lot, so this is happening many times a day. It is very frustrating. I even tried a 3rd party mp3 player (mixzing) and it happened using that as well. Any ideas on a possible fix? I have researched it, and while people have had various rebooting problems, I haven't seen anybody post about this specific problem since the update. Thanks.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I would do a factory reset. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it fixes the issues.

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
You could always sbf back to froyo too. I updated to gb and it made my phone lag to hell and rebooted randomly once and that was just within 2 days of updating to gb. If I were you I would just sbf back to froyo or use the TBH leaked version and flash another ROM.

Sent from my ZombieStomped DROIDX

kennydied23

Reaction score
I have the same problem, only I use PowerAmp mostly and sometimes the stock music player. Used to have unrooted OTA .596 GB and it happened. Wiped Data/Cache and it still happened. SBFed back to Froyo and installed rooted GB, wiped again, and it happened. I'm still on .596 and it happens more frequently now than it did before I SBFed.

OP
J

jep0617

Reaction score
I have the same problem, only I use PowerAmp mostly and sometimes the stock music player. Used to have unrooted OTA .596 GB and it happened. Wiped Data/Cache and it still happened. SBFed back to Froyo and installed rooted GB, wiped again, and it happened. I'm still on .596 and it happens more frequently now than it did before I SBFed.

Well, I guess I'm glad that I'm not the only one. Hopefully some kind of update will be put out to fix it. I am surprised that I couldn't find any posts about this until I started a few threads on different forums.

Have you noticed that the forced reboots take much less time than a regular reboot?

kennydied23

Reaction score
Have you noticed that the forced reboots take much less time than a regular reboot?

Yeah I did notice, there's no M logo, just a black screen that goes right to the boot animation. Like it's doing a "hot reboot" instead of a full one.

OP
J

jep0617

Reaction score
I did a factory reset and it's still happening. It didn't reboot for a while while I re-installed some apps and got things back to the way I liked it, but then when I installed a calorie counting app called My Fitness Pal, it rebooted almost immediately. I thought it might be that app, but I have since un-installed it, and it still reboots. I have un-installed many of my 3rd party apps to see if one of them is the problem, but haven't found the culprit. It seems to happen after the screen turns off during music playback, whether or not I press the lock button, or let it time out on it's own.

OP
J

jep0617

Reaction score
I have successfully rolled back to 2.2, but i accidentally started the download of 2.3, and couldn't stop it. When it asked if I want to install now or postpone an hour, I postponed, but I don't want to have to do that every hour. Is there any way to delete the update file from the phone?

joejackson

Reaction score
I did a factory reset and it's still happening. It didn't reboot for a while while I re-installed some apps and got things back to the way I liked it, but then when I installed a calorie counting app called My Fitness Pal, it rebooted almost immediately. I thought it might be that app, but I have since un-installed it, and it still reboots. I have un-installed many of my 3rd party apps to see if one of them is the problem, but haven't found the culprit. It seems to happen after the screen turns off during music playback, whether or not I press the lock button, or let it time out on it's own.

jep,

you nailed it. my phone will ONLY reboot when playing music once the screen times out. I have just experienced 3 reboots in a row (which is what inticed me to join this forum) all within seconds after the screen goes black. I plugged my phone into the charger, turned off screen timeout, and the phone has yet to reboot (played 5 songs now!).

I have experienced reboots using both Pandora and Google Music.

wtfMOTO?

jaystang50

Reaction score

jep,

you nailed it. my phone will ONLY reboot when playing music once the screen times out. I have just experienced 3 reboots in a row (which is what inticed me to join this forum) all within seconds after the screen goes black. I plugged my phone into the charger, turned off screen timeout, and the phone has yet to reboot (played 5 songs now!).

I have experienced reboots using both Pandora and Google Music.

wtfMOTO?

This is exactly what's happening to me as well. I've tried numerous players and nothing changes...still reboots when the screen times out. They need to get this fixed asap...

Rikaku

Reaction score
Solution

I have found a solution that works for me. For me, every time I would select a song to play in Google Music, I would turn the screen off and put the phone in my pocket or set it down. I've concluded that the problem is the screen rotating after turning the screen off combined with the music playing at the same time. I don't know why this is a problem, or the technical details, but all three activities simultaneously will reboot my phone.

I stopped the reboots by turning off screen rotation on Google Music and Pandora. I still wanted the screen to rotate on all my other apps, so the best solution I found is to get a free app. Smart Rotate in the android market works great for me. The only problem with it is that you have to specify for every app to rotate or not, otherwise it will prevent all apps from rotating by default. So far so good with no reboots.