2.2 Update Messed Up My Contact Ringtones

hbniner

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I got the 2.2 (Froyo) update yesterday via OTA and it seems to have messed up some of my ringtone settings. I had to manually reset my alarm ringtone to what I previously had it in 2.1. A few of my text ringtones I set for my contacts had to be manually changed as well. My main issue is with ringtones I've assigned in my contacts for phone calls.

I have 6 contacts in which a set a specific ringtone to for phone calls. After the update, all of them have a random ringtones assigned. All of my other contacts are set to the default ringtone. When I open a contact, I open the menu and select Options. I click on Ringtone and a list of all my ringtones appears. When I select the ringtone I want, it plays and then I hit Ok. The Ringtone still displays the wrong ringtone. I ask the person to call me and the wrong ringtone plays. I've also put my contact in edit mode and I didn't see an option to change a ringtone.

I've restarted and pulled the battery. My phone is not rooted...yet.

Thanks for any help/input.

Moon Doggie Donna

Reaction score
Same problem

My ringtones got screwed up as well. And I don't know where the ringtones I downloaded can be found. They are not with the preloaded ringtones that came with my phone (which really suck anyway).
Can someone please tell me where I can find my downloaded ringtones?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me where I can find my downloaded ringtones?
It depends on what app you used to download them with, for example if it was Mabillo then they should be in a folder on your SD card named Mabillo

The best thing to do with downloaded ringtones and notification tones is...on your SD card make a folder and name it media then inside of that folder make three folders one named ringtones, one notifications, and one alarms then drop all of your newly downloaded ringtones/alarms/notifications in the according folders, then when you go into settings/sounds/ringtones your new mp3 files will show up in the selection box with the system ringtones

OP
H

hbniner

Reaction score
The ringtones that I was using prior to the 2.2 update came from the default music player. There's an option that allows you to use your mp3 files as a ringtone. From my SD card, I would copy the songs from the music folder into the alarms and ringtone folders. This no longer works.

I'll create a media folder and place the ringtones there to see if that works like you suggested. Thanks

OP
H

hbniner

Reaction score
Creating a media folder didn't fix my issue. All it did was create duplicate copies of my ringtones. I still can't change my contact ringtone for phone calls.

Any other suggestions?

havalinaaa

Reaction score
I had the same problem and tried about 100 things. Finally I gave up and did a factory reset, no problems since.

OP
H

hbniner

Reaction score
I ended calling Verizon and they told me that they are aware of the issue and have notified Motorola. They are unsure if Motorola will come out with a minor update or wait until the next Android update (2.3?).

There's no ETA so I ended up doing a factory reset like you and that did work. Thanks for the update.