2.2 Update Makes Original Droid Unusable

Status
Not open for further replies.

fopicius

Reaction score
I got the 2.2 update yesterday OTA. Since then I have had so many problems, i cannot hardly use my phone. Here is a list of the things that are going on. Has anyone else had these problems?

Dropping 50% of all calls
Phone will shut itself off once a day, then will not restart unless the battery is removed
Random music will start playing from my library, but not from the music player. I open the music player and it says nothing is playing?
Every time I select a contact from call log, it calls the person right below.

Please help me!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got the 2.2 update yesterday OTA. Since then I have had so many problems, i cannot hardly use my phone. Here is a list of the things that are going on. Has anyone else had these problems?

Phone will shut itself off once a day, then will not restart unless the battery is removed
Random music will start playing from my library, but not from the music player. I open the music player and it says nothing is playing?

Please help me!

Sometimes when you do an update you have to clear things up. Most of the time it will work fine, but every once in a while someone will hit an issue.

First, make sure you don't have any task killers running or antivirus. Don't have that? Then try doing a Factory Data Reset out of your privacy section. You will have to re-download some of your free apps and you'll have to sign back into the phone, it will be like brand new only with 2.2.

If the issue persist, I'd take it to Verizon. It's their update, if it messed up your Droid they should take care of it for you.

OP
F

fopicius

Reaction score
I do have task killer running. Do they cause problems with 2.2?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do have task killer running. Do they cause problems with 2.2?

It's been known to cause problems with every OS. We don't recommend you use it.

That's just a first step, I can't promise you it will cure your problem. Do that and if that doesn't work try the factory data reset.

azrattlers14

Reaction score
I figured I would just chime in and let everyone know that I attempted to install the new 2.2 update today at lock up my phone. I do not us any task killers or virus software on my phone. Everytime I would start my phone after 2.2 update it would not proceed beyond the Motorola Logo.

Took it to Verizon Today and they couldnt get it to boot. Even after a Factory Reset. They are overnighting me another Droid 1. The Verizon employee at that store has seen 4 Droid phones at his store alone with the same issue. Not good.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey, new phone though!

This is a wild guess but I'm thinking that the internal memory has gone bad...like a bad MBR on a desktop/laptop. Stuff happens.

Another thing to try before factory reset is reboot in safe mode. This runs the phone but temporarily disables apps. If the phone works fine in safe mode then you know that one of your apps is the problem.

azrattlers14

Reaction score
Hey, new phone though!

This is a wild guess but I'm thinking that the internal memory has gone bad...like a bad MBR on a desktop/laptop. Stuff happens.

Another thing to try before factory reset is reboot in safe mode. This runs the phone but temporarily disables apps. If the phone works fine in safe mode then you know that one of your apps is the problem.

Yes, New phone, I had questioned whether it would be a refurbished or not and because of the know issue with the update, they are sending a new boxed Droid. Not a refurbished

I had tried the safe mode myself with no success. Even the Verizon rep. tried safe mode before the attempt at factory reset. No luck with either. I am [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]definitely going to try to update the new Droid I get to 2.2 before I go and install all my apps again. Just so I don't spend the time re-building my phone to then do the 2.2 update. I hope I can, because my friend has a original Droid as well and his has not given him the option to update to 2.2 yet. So I guess Im not sure how they are choosing who can update to the new 2.2 and who cant yet.

I guess I will find out on Tuesday. Thanks
[/FONT]

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well you had some bad luck. Don't worry about the 2.2 update wrecking your phone again, because I think it's highly unlikely. I would install apps under 2.1. Should be OK next time around.

Ryank10909

Reaction score

Please help me!

If all else fails, root your phone and put a custom rom on it, i was having the same problems, got it rooted, now running better then EVER! adn just the way I want it! not the way verizon wants it to. i have screen shots to show you some of the up's of that. i uploaded some pix of what ive done, so hope itll help you make up your mind.:icon_ banana:dancedroid

Cyndi

Reaction score

I am having some of the same issues. My phone just keeps crashing and I have to pull the battery to even turn it off. I uninstalled the task killer and I don't have an anti-virus. Please excuse the silly question but how do I boot into safe mode? I will try that next before heading to Verizon.

Uncle700

Reaction score
Got the 2.2 update today and the only problem was with the gps putting me in the wrong location, but this was fixed after about 10 minutes. Running stock droid with no task killers or anti-virus. Love the updated exchange features of adding signature, sorting by last name and exchange directory search built in.

m3shelly

Reaction score
Phone won't boot after update

I can't believe this! If I had known it was going to be a problem, I would have skipped the update. I told it to 'wait until later' all day today, then decided to allow it to update during my drive home from work. Now I have no phone, no internet, no e-mail, nothing - just an unusable phone with the Droid logo on the screen, permanently.

I tried removing the battery twice. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks

TopDroid

Reaction score
My phone was screwing up bad since the FRG01B OTA update. I took off task killer and removed alot off stuff and still it was bad. It was basically done for. Wouldnt even boot. I took it to Verizon and they gave me a BRAND new Droid 1! Running 2.1! BTW, does anyone know of a OTA update of 2.2 FRG22 rolling out anytime soon for Droid 1? Ive read some things about but no good answer.

xcarsx

Reaction score
Major issues with 2.2 upgrade!!!!

Since running the OTA 2.2 upgrade I have had several problems. All my ringtones are mixed up, My notification tones are as well. Everything seems to have slowed down, rather than speeding up as I was expecting. I do use a task killer and have found that it no longer kills the requested running apps, at least not all of them. I do use Lookout for anti-virus. I'm not at all happy with the upgrade and am finding apps force closing frequently. Even my Bluetooth force closes. I'm not sure how to proceed at this point. I loved my phone until all this began happening. It just seems that there are a lot of bugs in this upgrade. Is there a chance that because of the issues that a "patch" or revised upgrade would come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.