2.2 Rom Speculation

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said, but how would they stop producing OS's at gingerbread? If there are no updates, how would android survive? Maybe I'm just missing something.

I don't know why that quote made it look like I was the one talking about framentation lol.

Anyways, I've not seen anything by google stating they are not developing android passed gingerbread and working on apps. It's not fragmentation anyways, theres a video where one of the google android guys called it legacy and it's true.

Fragmentation would be having a bunch of phones with equivalent hardware all running different slightly incompatible versions, but that's not really the case here. What we see now are people whining that the first generation of android phones can no longer keep up with the newer phones causing small problem........ how long do you hold back update and innovation to accommodate users who are not willing to upgrade? Eventually the train needs to get moving even if it means leaving behind those folks.

besides it's not like everyone at google are all working on android and not all android people are just on the core os.... so basically the os will still be updated as per usual most likely and the app people will continue to update the google apps just as usual.

And per my last post, I think more people should be angry. I mean not beat people up type angry but definitely frustrated. It's not even about the nexus always getting updated weeks or months before everyone else. I mean I'm happy that people are getting it. What bugs the crap out of me is that the source is final... done... gone gold.. whatever. Why the hell do they insist on hiding it for so long? to me it defeats the spirit of opensource and android.

My personal opinion is that these changes once they are mature enough for release should be immediately pushed to the public accessible git/repos. Let users and vendors / carriers or whoever all have equal access at the same time. Only reason I can really think of besides stifling competitors as long as possible is they want carriers/manufacturers to make their phones as awesome as possible before rom developers get ahold of the source and make the "professionals" look like a bunch of amateurs.

I don't know about the rest of you but I could care less about the update, I am more eager to get the roms built from it's source!

I never thought about it like that but you are def right I mean we as in the people who are rooted get the stuff first as it is but that sounds right on point that they would want the carriers and manufacturers to tweak their devices because once the developers get it it basically does make the pros look dumb.
ANother thing I thought of is that everytime we have roms that have like apps2sd or even jit I mean its not of course stable the way it could be like the realease will make it but I wonder if google actually looks at some of these roms and gets the ideas from them for what the people want.Then they(google) go and implement it in their own way in their updates. If thats the case then some of the developers should be entitled to some sort of compensation for the idea. I'm not saying google does just wondering if they might.
And again yes I can't wait to see the roms not the otz update because the speed of the ota update is suppose to be amazing plus th efeatures like apps2sd and jit now wait till the developers do something with a stable version of 2.2 I mean overclocked I can't imagaine what this spring/summer has in store. Peopl ewere pumped about 2.1 which most say was a big let down now this one may not be as cosmetic as som eliek but the performance aspect seems to be right on par in my opinion.

Droids

Reaction score
There's talk about a new platform next year and the hardware that will be needed to run it. That would be Android 3.0. Between now and then we'll see 2.3 and probably a few more 'minor' 2.4, 2.5, etc. updates. By the time 3.0 is out, we'll have dual core processors and more. No one is saying Android development is stopping, or slowing. This bullet train is just getting started.