2.2 OTA safety net released

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This has already saved me. Thank god people are quick to get this to the rest of us.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
But this will get your system only to the 2.3.13 odexed right? Once there can you use the OG SBF and get back to 2.1 stock?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
But this will get your system only to the 2.3.13 odexed right? Once there can you use the OG SBF and get back to 2.1 stock?

NO , you can not go back to 2.1 from the OTA in any way at this time..

Besides that, I am so befuzzled as to why so many people want to go backwards to 2.1 ???

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Not sure on that one I haven't gone to the OTA yet, I am pretty content right now with first 2.2 leak odexed and your black glass theme. No need for me to upgrade when the same issues are present in the OTA.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THIS, JUST REPOSTING. I CHECKED WITH 928DROID BEFORE POSTING THIS, SO NOT TO VIOLATE ANY RULES ABOUT POSTING SBF LINKS.

The geniuses over at MyDroidWorld have released a file and new RSD version that is compatable with the new OTA 2.2 update that has caused so much trouble.

TBH announces Froyo System SBF and RSDLite 4.8

Just for clarification, you are not posting "leaked" SBF links, that is currently not allowed. You are posting a link to a Thread at MyDroidWorld that discusses a custom SBF file.

Oddly enough even though these guys compiled this custom "System SBF" and it is not a leaked "Moto SBF", Moto is already having the links taken down.... hmmm, I wonder if it is more about the Moto RSD Lite app then the "Custom SBF" ??????

Still weird no matter how you slice it.

FWIW, in theory and hypotheticly speaking...I am pretty sure that Custom SBF works miracles, actually real sure, hypothetically speaking of course......:icon_eek:

UNLESS you tried to flash the Official 2.1 Motorola SBF (after getting the OTA 2.2) that you are not supposed to have....if you did that, Moto is really sticking it to you and you gotta go to the Land of VZ and visit the "Wizard"....or sit an look at that pretty dark, quiet DX until (when/if) some other solution comes along :-(

HackerCity

Reaction score
So if I've done the OTA 2.2 update. I can use the 2.2 sbf if I wanna switch to a different theme. What state will the 2.2 sbf leave my phone?

Do I have to reroot and redeox?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
So if I've done the OTA 2.2 update. I can use the 2.2 sbf if I wanna switch to a different theme. What state will the 2.2 sbf leave my phone?

Do I have to reroot and redeox?

Nope, not really what it is for, that is for recovering from a major boo-boo... and currently the custom fbs is made from 2.3.13, which is one step back from the Official OTA 2.3.15. Probably not any real difference, but the only people that really know that for sure is Moto, and they ain't talk'n...any other opinions (including mine) are just pure speculation.

The best way to get back to stock OTA if you want to after flashing a Theme or ROM is to make a PURE CLEAN NANDROID BACKUP of the Stock OTA NOW...before you do anything else!

Then you can always go back to the "beginning" when you want to start over...and still have the proper matched complete OTA software in unmolested condition (other than Root of course :).

I prefer to do 2 versions.

Version 1:
Install update on completely wiped phone.
Root said Phone.
In the case of the DX , install DX Bootstrapper.
Boot into recovery and make full Nandroid Backup, optionally you can install Rom Manager and do the backup that way too since it is easier to give it a proper name at that time. i.e "VirginOTA2315update09-22". Even with just using recovery you can back in with a File Manager and rename the backup so it will stand out later.

ALSO, mount your SDcard and copy that backup on to your PC or to a cloud you trust for safe keeping in case of an SD card failure or accidental formatting, etc. Trust me, I have lost SD card data on a Droid 1 just by pulling out the USB from the PC before properly unmounting it one time.

Version 2:

Same as above, but install and configure all my Market apps, settings, etc first, then do the backup. Name it something you will remember later OTA2315myDATA09-22 or whatever.

Then and only then should you start messing with Themes, Mods and ROMs.

PLUS, when the next OTA update arrives... you can drag that "Virgin" out screaming, uninstall BootStrapper (properly) and easily get the new OTA update without a glitch. no muss, no fuss.

Last edited:

HackerCity

Reaction score
So get bootstrapper.
Load bootstrapper
Reboot in recovery
Go to backup, restore

It doesn't allow me to name the backup.

My assumption that it is saved in clockwork directory on my sdcard.

Is this a Nandroid backup? On the D1 it would ask you to name the backup.

It what is above is correct I am safe correct? If I put on a theme and want to use your work instead just run the bootstrapper reboot in recovery and restore from the backup that is in clockwork?

Thanks again for the quick response on the first post. I just want to dot my i's and cross my t's before I got messing around without a net.

Last edited: