2.2 or 2.1 SBF, running Rubix 1.0

thatisandwas

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I started on a 2.1 base and worked my way up to eventually Rubix 1.0. I want to upgrade to 1.6 but kinda feel like it might be best to SBF since i've stacked so many releases on top of each other. I have a couple questions.

Does it even matter? Does stacking roms on top of each other affect quality in any way? I just feel like my X isn't as responsive as it could be.

Second question, since i started with a 2.1 base...And have NEVER done an OTA update to 2.2, do i use the 2.2 SBF now that i am on Rubix 1.0? Or do i use the 2.1 SBF? And if so, could someone link me to the correct SBF file to use. And, do i use RSD Lite 4.8?

Sorry...It's been so long since i have SBF'ed and i definitely don't want a 600 dollar brick. All help is appreciated!

Drae123

Reaction score
I would say do the SBF, 2.2. When SSX first came out, it bricked my phone when I installed. Did the SBF and reinstalled, works like a charm now. A lot of people are having battery issues with Rubix since 1.0 came out. Dont know if you are. SSX is running from a fresh SBF though for me, so it might be why my battery life is so much better. You might want to SBF and avoid the battery issue some are having with it. When I have some time I plan to SBF and give rubix another shot. Drod does such an awesome job giving an unbloated setup. How sick SSX looks is making me not mind the blur atm. Should the SBF fix my rubix issues though I'll probably go back to it.

scubieman

Reaction score
You do not need to SBF. Just make sure to follow the instructions with installing the ROM. It will make you clear cache and system. This will wipe any garbage you put on there.

Only thing I can recommend is do not install rubix 1.0 if your running stock 2.1. This could case many issues.

Check your system info page. if it says 2.2 or 2.3 just install rubix 1.0... If it says 2.1. I would flash sbf 2.1 then do OTA 2.2 update then root then install rubix 1.0

OP
T

thatisandwas

Reaction score
Nah...i went from 2.1 to 2.2 (not ota) then to rubix .3 to rubix 1.0 and now i wanna goto rubix 1.6. Clearing sys and cache also removes the theme files, right?

And to be clear...i need a 2.2 sbf, just for reference?

scubieman

Reaction score
clearing sys removes the theme. The cache is just your personal stuff or temp.

and yes you need 2.2 sbf

Strikeir13

Reaction score
Um if you haven't ever gotten the OTA, you should use the 2.1 sbf. I'm pretty sure using the 2.2 will brick you unless you have the OTA which it doesn't sound like you do.

But I agree, you don't need to sbf. It might help a little but might not be noticeable. There are other things you could try too probably...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
T

thatisandwas

Reaction score
See its so confusing.........i belive that rubix 1.0 is based off the OTA so wouldnt that mean that i would use the 2.2? The only reason im so keen on knowing is if something goes wrong on my next upgrade i wanna know what SBF to use...And now i'm not sure again...

Strikeir13

Reaction score
I believe that though it's based off of the OTA, the true OTA still alters your phone in a way that installing RubiX does not, that way being the baseband, the radio, and the bootloader. Having the 2.1 bootloader (which you do since you've never actually received the OTA) and then trying to flash the 2.2 sbf is not compatible and will, in most cases, brick your phone to the extent you will need to go to moto/vzw to fix it. If you have never received the OTA, you should use the 2.1 sbf regardless of what ROM you're using because you have the old bootloader.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sephtin

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I started on a 2.1 base and worked my way up to eventually Rubix 1.0. I want to upgrade to 1.6 but kinda feel like it might be best to SBF since i've stacked so many releases on top of each other. I have a couple questions.

Does it even matter? Does stacking roms on top of each other affect quality in any way? I just feel like my X isn't as responsive as it could be.

Second question, since i started with a 2.1 base...And have NEVER done an OTA update to 2.2, do i use the 2.2 SBF now that i am on Rubix 1.0? Or do i use the 2.1 SBF? And if so, could someone link me to the correct SBF file to use. And, do i use RSD Lite 4.8?

Sorry...It's been so long since i have SBF'ed and i definitely don't want a 600 dollar brick. All help is appreciated!

--Does stacking roms on top of each other...
MOST ROMs will format the /system partition... so.. stacking isn't exactly... well stacking. :p

--OTA/SBF:
If you have never done the OTA, then you would use the 2.1 SBF.
Which .sbf you use is based on the bootloader that is locked on the Moto Droid X/2. NO ROM can modify that without causing a brick.

Either RSD should work. The 2.1 sbf can be found at rootzwiki

BTW, if you use the wrong one, I believe you can just re-.sbf with the correct one, and you'll be fine.. no brick involved. Might be wrong, but... Pretty sure.

See its so confusing.........i belive that rubix 1.0 is based off the OTA so wouldnt that mean that i would use the 2.2? The only reason im so keen on knowing is if something goes wrong on my next upgrade i wanna know what SBF to use...And now i'm not sure again...

Rubix FOCUSED is based off of the Moto SDK. Rubix BLURRY is based off of 2.2 BUT... it ONLY replaces the /system dir, it does NOT affect the boot loader. the .sbf you want is 2.1.

Strikeir13 is dead on.. just wanted to reply, to give addtnl. info.

OP
T

thatisandwas

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help everyone. I am now much more confident and will be upgrading momentarily.