1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

2.2 on Milestone A854!!!!for real

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by clkish1988, Jan 3, 2011.

1. clkish1988

clkish1988 New Member

hey guys everyone wants to know how to get stock froyo on a alltel milestone well i figured it out....i have the latest build (2.2.1) running on a milestone with MMS and everything....you need a verizon droid a855, a milestone, both rooted and a little time....
    1.first backup all apps on the verizon droid with Astro or something similar and factory reset it so its clean for the milestone
    2.Download rom manager on both phones
    3.on the verizon droid, open rom manager and flash SPrecovery...this is the only way it would work for me
    4.boot into sprecovery on the verizon phone
    5.go to advanced backup and backup everything...name it what you want
    6.back it up!
    Now on to the milestone.
    7.take the micro sd card out of the verizon droid and put it in the milestone.
    8. open the market on the milestone and download APN manager.
    9. open APN manager and backup APN on the milestone
    10.open Rom manager and flash sprecovery like before and reboot...for some reason my milestone didnt like booting into sprecovery at first if it just goes to stock recovery or bootloader reset and try again...
    11.select advanced recovery
    12.pick the backup from the verizon droid you saved earlier and pick all options
    13.let it do its thing.
    14.after a reboot you will be on froyo!
    15.download APN manager again and restore the alltel apn backup from earlier
    Done!!
    you can now put the sd cards into their respective phones....the phone i tried this on has MMS and everything....just letting you guys know how it's done
    dancedroid
  2. hoppermi

hoppermi New Member

I don't see any reason you need a Droid to do this.
    Wouldn't backing up your APN and then flashing Droid ROM of choice and restoring APN accomplish same thing?
    Side note: make a backup of your stock rooted system first. Just in case. Always nice to have.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. yoop

yoop New Member

Yeah, there's no reason you need a Verizon phone to do this. I have a CDMA Milestone A854 and I've been running many different Droid ROMs on it. Although, I never did the APN backup/restore and don't care to. The only thing that does is allow you to send MMS, which I never do anyway. Also, I'm using ClockworkMod Recovery and not SPRecovery on my Milestone.

Besides, Froyo is so 2010. As of today, my Milestone A854 is running Gingerbread!
  4. cnoocher

cnoocher New Member

I rooted and got ROM for my Alltel A854 and works fine but when I try to update roaming capabilities it goes to verizon instead of Alltel and wont update. I backed up APN and restored after root and rom but didnt help. Any suggestions?
  5. yoop

yoop New Member

Just out of curiosity, how do you know you need to update your roaming capabilities? I have an A854 through a small regional carrier (Cellcom in Wisconsin), and all I do is turn on "National Data Roaming" in my phone's settings and I'm done.
  6. altennent

altennent New Member

Milestone A 854

Just got the milestone A 854 and see and found out from Motorola that they aren't going to put out an update to 2.2 OS for this phone. That's funny because it says in the ad for it that it has flash enabled capability, how nice of them or alltel.
    I don't know anything about the root or even where it is, but isn't there an easy way to put the 2.2 on this phone? It obviously is setup to have the 2.2 and I don't want to switch phones or carriers for that when it is supposed to have or get it.
    Thanks for any input, Al

Here's the ad from the Alltel website: MOTOROLA MILESTONE™ sets a new standard for the smartphone, providing the latest Google™ user interface and applications. See more of the Web faster, with over 400,000 pixels and a 3.7" WVGA display. With 3G speeds and Flash-enabled capability, you can view any website just like you would on a PC.

I suppose they would say that's not false advertising, (it's just capable) but you might need an update for that to be true!!

Took the Motorola back last week and got the HTC Desire. At least I'll have 2.2 in June.

Just might be taking this back and get the HTC Desire, at least they are putting out the 2.2 update in June.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  7. brandon311

brandon311 New Member

Does anybody have a 2.2 rom for Alltel they could send me so I can just flash.
  8. hoppermi

hoppermi New Member

There aren't any roms for Altell Milestone. It is hardware identical to the Driod. The APN settings and baseband(radio)files are the only difference. It can be rooted and roms flashed just like the Droid. All that information is here on the site. Just restore your APN settings after flashing a Droid ROM and it should work fine. Whatever you do do not change your baseband as you will lose data entirely. Search for other threads about the altell milestone and you will see what others in your position have done. Happy reading and good luck.
  9. brandon311

brandon311 New Member

Alright thanks would you suggest Universal Androot?
  10. yoop

yoop New Member

That's what I used to root my Milestone A854. It was painless. After rooting, you can then download ROM Manager from the Market and then use ROM Manager to flash Clockworkmod recovery. After that, you can either use ROM Manager to download and flash different ROMs or just download the ROMs from t his site or anywhere else and use clockworkmod recovery directly (by hitting the X key while booting the phone).

One word of caution: On my Milestone (as well as some other folks), there is some kind of issue with ClockworkMod where it will occasionally cause a reboot just a short while after booting into recovery. This can mess you up pretty good if you've just started an operation, so I always make sure to wait about a minute after booting into recovery before I start any backup/restore or whatever.
  11. b00ty_m4n

b00ty_m4n New Member

Bogus

You mean I cannot update my milestone A854 to 2.2 ever?
Search tags for this page
a854 2.2
bajar rom a854
can i switch my motorola a854 to switch from altell to anoth
flashear motorola a854
froyo 2.2 for milestone a854
how to flash milestone a854
how to update milstone a854
how to update my droid a854

milestone a854 2.2 update

motorola a854 2.2 update
motorola milestone a854 android 2.2 update