1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

2.2 Native Tethering

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by voc627, Jul 25, 2010.

1. voc627

voc627 New Member

I'm currently running BB V0.4, and the native tethering is taking me to a Verizon "blah blah pay us more money even though you have a data plan" web site. Does anyone know if that's a BB problem, or if there's another 2.2 rom that has a working native usb tether? Edit: Or maybe someone could point me to a guide to get PDAnet working with ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. bje1982

bje1982 New Member

I would just install wireless tethering I dont think you can bypass that native tethering but not positive.
  3. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

Wireless Tethering or Wired Tethering For Root Users is all you need.
  4. voc627

voc627 New Member

Wireless tethering works great, but doesn't charge the phone while I'm using it. @ChugIt: "Wired Tethering For Root Users" is that the name of an app? Mind you, I'm specifically trying to get it working on a linux pc. PDAnet works great on my windows partition.
  5. BuglessFan

BuglessFan New Member

You can run Wireless tethering with the USB attached, you know. So it can be a regular old charging USB connection as if there's no thething going on, and you can run Wireless tethering. Keep in mind, though, that as usual with USB charging, it's not going to keep up with usage (it'll slowly drain), but that would be true with wired tethering too. USB just doesn't give enough juice. If you wireless tether then you can plug it into the wall, though, and actually charge and tether.
  6. voc627

voc627 New Member

Yeah, I was doing the wall charging/wireless tether thing. Was hoping to keep it a little neater. I don't think the phone was charging while plugged into ubuntu, I'll have to look next time. Much appreciated.
  7. B3y0ndD34th

B3y0ndD34th New Member

This is what I do, my family frequents the woods and decides to go "camping" as they call it, (sleeping in an RV, air conditioning steak for lunch big meal for dinner) not the roughing it kind of camping I think of when I think camping, but I use my wireless tether on my laptop in the BFE and I charge my phone via the wall while Wireless Tethering and I've done this since the beginning. My laptop is Ubuntu 10.4 as well and I find it rather easy to connect using my wireless card in my laptop the only thing I dislike is using the security in the wireless tethering app, for some reason when I turn it on my laptop can connect but it gets no data transfer :/ I'm not sure what the deal is there so when I find someone else leaching my internets I just shut it off for about 15 min ;)

P.s. I haven't updated my wireless tethering app in sometime I think I'll go see if there's an update that fixes the security issue, hope this helps some!!!
  8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

OK....too lazy to test myself, but has anyone observed if wired tethering is faster than wireless? In theory I'd assume it yields the same speeds.
  9. BuglessFan

BuglessFan New Member

I don't think there's any chance your 3G will be surpassing 802.11 speeds, so, no the WiFi won't introduce a bottleneck. Even the new LTE system will be less than 1/4 the rate of WiFi.

As far as the security knocking out the internet, I've seen MAC filtering do that, but I've been able to run WEP without MAC address filtering just fine.
  10. voc627

voc627 New Member

I've noticed the same speed both ways but once and a blue moon the wireless seems to lag before responding.
Search tags for this page
bypass tethering verizon

bypass verizon tethering

how to bypass verizon tethering restrictions
native usb tethering stock rom 4.2