2.2 is a disaster!

jthorpe

Reaction score
So I'm still researching, but I'm guessing that to get back on 2.1, I need RSD Lite and an image file? Just wondering if there are a set of instructions somewhere on how to do this??

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
My phone worked fine before this "upgrade". There isn't a thing wrong with it except for the new OS. It's a piece of crap.

If anyone has instructions on how to downgrade back to 2.1, it would be greatly appreciated.
There have been so many reports of bad 2.2 installs from the OTA file it's astounding. Before you rip your phone apart or root it just so you can install old code on it, install the manual update file from the FroYo circus thread, give it an hour, and see if it runs better for you. If not, you'll have to either root and install an old ROM and be content that change will never reach you or get a new phone from Verizon at full retail price/buy a used one and have it put on you account in place of the Droid. If you do the latter, I'd be more than happy to take that crappy Droid 1 you have off your hands for $10 plus shipping, since who could possibly want it now that it's tainted with FroYo? :)

As for instructions on how to downgrade, it's simple. Root your device by putting a custom recovery image on it, then use said custom recovery to install a 2.1-based ROM that has the OTA updates blocked. Even this may not stop the insidious infection of your phone with FroYo code, however, as many people running certain 2.2-based ROMs have had OTA update files forced onto their phones against their will. The custom recovery image blocked the installs thereof, but within a few days the attack was started again! Once more, their brave custom recovery images grimly defended their phones, but it never stops. Every few days, the barbarian invaders attack again! Is it only a matter of time before the walls fall and the FroYo invasion is successful?

If you can get through the sarcasm and misguided humor, and you're dead serious about putting 2.1 back on, you'll need to search for "sbf to root and unroot" and follow the instructions in Christim's thread. This method is not without risk and may brick your phone -- if that happens it's your fault and you'll have to replace your $600 phone out of pocket -- and at the moment there seems to be an issue with certain computer/phone setups leading to improper SPRecovery installs. It's being worked on. Be patient. In the meantime, try installing the update from the circus thread I mentioned earlier.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you will get your apps back but you will loose setting. I would suggest titanium backup or my backup pro in the future. Your device is "stuck on the M" right, if so, losing settings and apps should be the least of your worries.

jthorpe

Reaction score
MY phone is not bricked. I just hate 2.2 is all. Sorry for the confusion.

Again, the phone is working but 2.2 is causing me lots of problems.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I understand that and my point is still that it is not supposed to cause any problems and if it does then contact Verizon and have them make it right. 2.2 is proven software that is not just better than 2.1, but vastly better and if you aren't seeing that on your phone then something is wrong with the phone or the install. Make Verizon do the right thing. If you doubt this, go to the closest Verizon store and play with a Droid 2. It's wicked.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

Then you have two options -- either root and put something else on or try to see if it's a bad install of the update causing the issue. The only way to do that is to reinstall it. The path you choose to reinstall it can be simple or complex to the point of risking your phone's good health if something should happen during the procedure.

I'm betting you probably wouldn't be happy with anything less than the first option, so decide what you want to do. If all else fails, do what BayouFlyFisher said and take the phone to Verizon. With luck you'll get someone who tries to help you and not someone who laughs in your face (or behind your back). Good luck.

jthorpe

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the phone, period, but thanks for the suggestions. Being a software developer for many years, I kinda understand the difference between hardware and software failures. ESPECIALLY when I hear so many complaints from others who have the Droid. 2.2 sucks, and that's a fact.

So again, how can we get it back to 2.1?

...and if I move back to 2.1, will it erase everything I've got now?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the phone, period, but thanks for the suggestions. Being a software developer for many years, I kinda understand the difference between hardware and software failures. ESPECIALLY when I hear so many complaints from others who have the Droid. 2.2 sucks, and that's a fact.

You being a software developer for years would lead me to believe that you understand that Verizon/Motorola's warranty covers the hardware and the software. :)

2.2 has been installed successfully on millions of phones and we are hearing about a issues on a handful (few hundred?, few thousand?) of phones. For an OTA upgrade, where being a software developer for years you will understand there are a lot of things that can go wrong, that is a pretty small failure rate. Make Verizon fix your phone!:)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Use RSD Lite and flash the 2.1 update 1 SBF. Then you can try to ignore the nag screens for the update that'll hit your phone in the next couple of days, if not immediately, and deal with it telling you to update every 20-30 minutes.

Yeah, you'll lose everything.

I've stopped hearing complaints from people unless I'm expressing an opinion anymore. People have reinstalled updates, gotten used to the changes and improvements, traded their phones back to Verizon to get ones that weren't borked on update, or rooted and installed custom ROMs. Those really, seriously, are your only options at this point. This cannot be said more clearly and no other options will present themselves unless you go flash SPRecovery (rooting your phone) and then install a specialized update.zip file that blocks OTA updates (still rooted). The problem, you see, is that this requires rooting your phone, which you seem reluctant to do. Furthermore, by flashing the SBF to get back to 2.1 you've lost everything on the phone.

So, to wit:
Reinstall the update, adapt to the changes, or root. Verizon probably won't take the phone back without it boot-looping or you dunking it in water, and there's no guarantee that any phone you get won't come with 2.2 preinstalled or the update forcing itself onto your phone as soon as/before you get it home.

Cdjones187

Reaction score

Read the whole post and you would know how to go back to 2.1. Dont flame because YOU are one of the VERY few having problems with 2.2. This update is far far far from a disaster. If 2.2 makes your phone run badly its the PHONE, NOT the UPDATE. You have a few options, flash back to 2.1 update 1 using RSD lite and the 2.0.1 sbf file then update to 2.1 and even try reinstalling the 2.2 update.. Flash a rom running 2.1, or even a custom version of 2.2 might fix your problem. Last choice is stop the complaining and get a iphone, because like there computers, there phones are dummy proof too. Good luck with your decision and no more flaming. This is DROID forums, of course people are gonna get pissed when you say the biggest/best update DROID has seen is a disaster.

Here is a link to ROOTING & UN-ROOTING. READ the everything on that page before attempting this. If you need/want help with whatever choice you make feel free to message me. If you decide to get a iphone, your on your own =P

Last edited:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I didn't read every post but if all the guy is having problems with is the sms app and the quick bar at the bottom then how does that make the entire update a disaster? Yeah, I hate the bright white SMS background too; it's invasive and harder on the eyes, but it doesn't make the text unreadable. Also not sure how the quick bar is a bad thing either; you have the Dialer and Browser that follows you on every screen, without the need to locate the specific shortcut or scroll through the app drawer...how is this a bad thing??

My only complaints with 2.2 aside from the aforementioned is the problem I often have with redraw when switching between landscape and portrait. Other than that the phone seems to have only gotten better what with Bluetooth voice dialing and better incorporation of Exchange.

Also, I'm no guru when it comes to rooting/using the various roms but as good as your phone might have supposedly been prior to 2.2, you're likely going to lose some serious functionality unless you use one of the latest and greatest roms, which by the way are all based off 2.2...