2.2 is a disaster!

shinji246

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got the 2.2 OTA update on my stock Moto Droid, I installed hoping it would be fine and it turns out I loathe it with every fiber of my being. If i can change a few things back without having to root i'll be a happy man again...

First off I need the messages to go back to being black background on the selection screen, not that horrible unreadable white. Then I want to remove the portraits next to the messages and have it go back to the 2.1 version.

(I tried handcent and it's far too much to handle it. Some things can be fixed but then it becomes a whole other monster of it's own.)

Second I need those buttons at the bottom of the screen to be back to being my regular slideup bar from 2.1

I'll be happy with going back to the 3 home screens, but if that can't be changed no worries. I expect there is nothing I can do but I figured it's worth asking, i've been lurking here for a long time and searching for these answers but everything seems to relate to getting different root ROMS.

Oh also on a sidenote, i would go straight to google about this but they seem to have a longstanding policy of completely ignoring their customers...I highly appreciate anything anyone can point me to.

jim1974

Reaction score
I understand everyone has an opinion, but 2.2 is far from a disaster.

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk

OP
S

shinji246

Reaction score
Well help me fix these major problems and I will gladly retract that statement, this is just another long line of forced changes (think google images) that we do not have a choice to choose what we the consumer do and don't like, unfortunately not much we can do to change that thanks to the sheer size of corporations and their lack of care for the individual, it's just a big money machine to them.

GeLopez

Reaction score
i got 2.2 with black mms thanks to the search button, i recommend you do the same.

as far as the rest of your comment..

3 screens instead of five...really????
buttons instead of slideup.... really???

i guess that makes it a disaster lol

gujupmp88

Reaction score
Wow, I actually love the 2.2 update, and have no complaints, but I'll see of I can help.

In regards to the messaging background color, I believe in the settings menu of the messaging app there is an option to have a black background.

For the 2.1 launcher, I don't think I can help you. I actually love the new launcher because I like the fact I have easy access to the shortcuts.

To go back to three screens, you would have to go to an alternative launcher. U recommended launcherpro, I've used it for a long time and its the best launcher out.

OP
S

shinji246

Reaction score
i got 2.2 with black mms thanks to the search button, i recommend you do the same.

as far as the rest of your comment..

3 screens instead of five...really????
buttons instead of slideup.... really???

i guess that makes it a disaster lol

You seem to lack the ability to read, I mentioned I have been searching and I could not find a way without having a rooted Droid to turn it back to black. I see no button in the settings panel to do this either. Also if you would read my reply I have such major problems with this because I am being forced to use this without the option to revert. I don't appreciate being given an update and not given the option to move back to 2.1, I even did a full factory reset and instead of getting back 2.1 I got stuck with twitter being added to the list of things I can't delete.

OP
S

shinji246

Reaction score
Could you be more specific please? I have checked the settings while in the messenger and by going through the home screen settings button and i am not seeing anything about color. Also i felt it was quite rude to be told i didnt search before posting when i clearly stated that i did. Be rude and get a rude reply. Most of all please keep in mind i am not a root user so perhaps you have some options i lack?

FSTTYMS

Reaction score
2.2 messed my swype up :( had to resync my facebook contacts... who knows what else... The messaging app, doesn't have times anymore either. LAME

joekatet

Reaction score
I believe its a disaster too. It erased of music, all my playlists that I worked for hours to make are gone. The whole phone is bogged way down, this keyboard works worth a edited by moderator, although it seems to be responding better now, or not. I AM ONE PISSED OFF DROID OWNER RIGHT NOW!! WHERE THE HELL IS MY MUSIC!!! UNREAL!! THIS UPDATE MIGHT BE WORKING FINE FOR SOME DROID USER, BUT AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED, IT STOLE MY MUSIC, WRECKED A LOT OF HARD WORK I PUT INTO IT, ANF WRECKED THE WHOLE DROID EXPERIENCE FOR ME ALLTOGETHER!! if anyone has any suggestions, please let me k ow how to get my music back!! [email protected]

Thanks, and for shame to those responsible for this update!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then go backwards. If you can't become accustom to the vast improvements because of a few things you don't like then go back. 2.2 is far from a disaster.