2.2 Install Failed!!!

Trionalaw

Reaction score
I am so frustrated trying to download Froyo 2.2 after successfully rooting my phone, I decided to uninstall the root. I found the appropriate died on the forum. However, when I tried to open the file from my SD drive, the installation was aborted. I followed the instructions below:

You will need to have RSD Lite installed to flash the stock 2.01 sbf file for Motorola Droid.

Download the following file:
  1. Connect your phone to the PC via USB and turn it off then while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
  2. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
  3. If your phone is not displayed in the "model" column you may need to do the following:
    1. Select the "config" option from the upper left corner of the tool
    2. Select DeviceId Options
    3. Select one of the two options available. By default neither are chosen, and my phone shows up fine with neither one selected.
  4. Click the [...] next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file you want to use and double click the .sbf file.
  5. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress.
  6. Your phone will reboot and you will be on a stock 2.01 phone with no root installed.
Credit to ikithme for the original post, Unroot/Unbrick your phone using .sbf, which I've altered slightly here.

You now are on a stock phone, unrooted, just like when you first got your phone. You can apply the OTA (over the air) update files to get to

I am so frustrated trying to get Froyo I want to walk into Verizon and turn myself in.

Any help out there?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Moved thread to where you can get some help from those who do it best :)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Changed the title as this has nothing to do with a virus.

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
I aplogize. my frustration is getting to me. I could not get RSD Lite to recognize my Droid.

If I unroot m phone and successfully download Froyo can I still o/c to 1mgz? I thought I had to be rooted to do so. If so am I better to stay rooted and wait for Verizon to unleash Froyo to my presently rooted phone/

Thanks.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Froyo is available if you're rooted now.

You are correct, you can not overclock unless you're rooted.

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
Thanks, Martin,

I have been trying to get Froyo installed for 3 days. I have tried the following:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/49620-froyo-installation-guide-thread.html

Originally Posted by hookbill
2.2 comes with root, so rooting is not necessary before installation.

Simply put use rsd lite to install sprecovery.

After sprecovery is installed do a backup to the nandroid folder of your old system.

Do a wipe, both data and cache with sprecovery. do this step twice! :)

then install froyo. Now the way i did it was i unzipped the folder and put all 3 items in one folder. I stuck that in my nandroid folder and did a restore (i renamed the folder froyo, call it whatever you want).

That's different then what the other instructions say. But that successfully installed froyo 2.2 and rooted my droid.

After trying the latter, here is what happened;
still no success following you were instructions. I decided to repeat everything.Interestingly, when I used the RSD lite to load the SPF recovery program, for the first time it tells me to power up the phone after it has executed 100% and says it is still in progress. That was about 10 minutes ago.

Also, when I did finally the first time through it to the Nandroid restore, it did not have the Froyo file which had earlier of the date that I had downloaded it.

How about this? When I opened that file and saved it into the Nandroid four on the SD disc there were three separate files within it: boot, system and image I think. The second time I did it I had five files: boot, cachet, data /Nandroid MD.5 and recovery and system. How about that?

Why something is messed up, don't you think? the recovery program is still runningin RSD light.

Thank you.

Martin,

do you have any advise? And is Froyo rooted//

Thanks.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK just to confirm you returned to stock using the process outlined in the SBF to root and to unroot? If you still want to install a Froyo rom you need to re do the root and re install SPRecovery.

Let me know when you get there.

I'll be around if you need help or have questions.

Mike

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're in good hands now trionalaw.... the RS will take it from here :)

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. I am still rooted as I have overclocker and CPU telling me I am running at ! mhz. So I am ready!

Much appreciated.

Jim

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Froyo is the build released from Google.

There are several ROMs based from Froyo.

Sapphire, Bugless Beast, Jrummy's, CM, Chevy's SS.... the list goes on :)

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
Since you are the master I will go with your recommendation.

Thanks,

Jim

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
lol. no master here.... just someone with free time :)

I personally use Sapphire as my daily driver, but do hop around from ROM to ROM.

The Sapphire team is very responsive to users and always available in IRC chat.

... and if you're looking for something completely different but AMAZING.... check out Xeudoxus' Dark Edge for 2.2.

You really can't go wrong with any of the choices here at DF :)

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
thank you,

I think I saw a list of them on the forum. I will go with Sapphire and see what happens. What are these various threads that talk about downloading Fyoro 2.2 which have been so frustrating to me?

The reason I ask is because the one I was looking at even had the Adobe flash download, the WiFi download. It seemed to me to be the real deal.

I will see what happens with Sapphire. Much appreciated.

Jim