2.2 Froyo Droid X WiFi issues unresolved?

Berzerkertonixx

Reaction score
I created an account on this site to post what worked for me*...

I had the same random disconnect issue reported here on 2.2 with the following setup:

Linksys WRT300N v 1.1
Wireless Security - WPA2 Personal
Encryption - TKIP or AES
Network Mode = Mixed (I have a PS3, a wireless N laptop and a wireless G laptop)

I changed my Network Mode to G only and immediately my problem was solved.

This probably won't work for everyone obviously, but it's worth a try if you can (and are willing to) change the router and are ok with any potential issues with downgrading from N to G. The benefit for this workaround for me was that it took less than a minute to make the change to my wireless LAN. Obvious cons as others have posted, so I won't repeat any of that.

When the next update for the Droid is out, I'll revert to my previous settings and try again.. I also had problems yesterday at a local starbucks hotspot, and several others around downtown Denver with continuous disconnects. I'm sure those problems will persist until the droid is patched for this bug. Based on the symptoms of this issue on my droid X I'd have to say that mixed mode networks are a key problem for the droids current wifi implementation.

Peace...

deranger

Reaction score
No issues after update. I could only use G and WPA/TKIP encryption before 2.2 came out.

DIR-655, Wireless-N Only, WPA2 Only, AES encryption, channel 11

I find that setting as much as you can manually is the best for the network. If you have mixed G and N devices, force it to G only with WPA/TKIP. If you're using N only, use WPA2/AES encryption. Manually select a channel that provides the least amount of interference (WiFi analyzer app is great for this).

Don't use auto B/G/N or auto WPA/WPA2.

iesous2

Reaction score
I just turned my router off and took the battery out of my phone for 5 mins retyped my WEP key and it connected. Bout time :icon_evil:

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
We'll see how long it lasts
changed to channel 3
300 mhz (which is all 11a and 11n)
WPA personal

working for a full 5 minutes!!!

the over/under in my house is 12 hours......

paulviado420

Reaction score
Mine's working ok, this might not fix all these issues but might be useful for some:
Settings, wireless, wifi settings, click menu button -> advanced, wifi sleep policy -> never

was having the same problems as everyone else keeping a stable wifi connection

this did the trick for me didnt mess with anything else but this..works great now very stable connection with a router b g and n mixed.

inthefad3

Reaction score
I reported my issues with the WiFi (among other things) were resolved after doing a clean install of the OTA update. However the last couple of days I have seen these issues creep back. I guess I am back in the same boat as many people here. Hopefully trying the Never Sleep option will help my phone's connection at home.

Craiglv2

Reaction score
Ditto

I've had my Droid X for about 10 days; love, hate relationship so far. I had a Teo and VX 680 previously. WIFI worked great on the new Droid X until I was working another issue with tech support and was advised to upgrade to 2.2 (after 4 days of owning it). Since then the wifi connects OK, but no internet data downloads while wifi is on. I have a WEP secure N router, but the same is true for insecure sites. All apear to connect just fine, but no internet application can download data. Verizon tech support suggested a hard reset, but after doing some forum research, I doubt this is a permanent fix. In addition to the 2.2 upgrade, I suspect some of my downloaded free or purchased apps may be contributing to the problem. Tonight I got Verizon Tech support to acknowledge they have a known problem and they and Motorola are working a fix, so I will live with the issue for a month or so until I get really mad...

samkast

Reaction score
My Wifi Situation

I just wanted to add my own experience to the mix. I am a student at a university, and we have password protected WiFi throughout campus. When I purchased my Droid X a month ago, WiFi worked great everywhere on campus. The moment I installed the OTA froyo update, WiFi stopped working completely. My Droid X still connected, and even as I am writing this it tells me that I have a strong connection. However, absolutely no data transfers.

I first attempted to fix it by changing all of my WiFi settings. I used the recommended Android settings for my university (something I had never had to think about before) and experimented from there. Nothing changed.

I then decided to do a factory reset, to see if that was the problem. After a factory reset, other minor issues with the phone were fixed, but still WiFi showed connected with no data transfer (I tested this in a number of apps, including the browser).

My last attempt was to root my phone, something I would not have done if it was not for the WiFi problem. Of course, I'm not sure what I thought rooting would do... so it is still not fixed.

I cannot change my router settings, and there are no wired connections for me to use for my own router in my dorm. I am basically at the mercy of another update. Verizon is lucky there 3G is so good here, or else I would be more upset. As it is, I am mostly worried that when Verizon finally goes to tiered data plans, I won't be able to benefit from any price reduction. I'm pulling down a little over a GB a month as it is. There is no way I could reduce my usage to 200 MB (ala AT&T) without WiFi.

Ivanhoensandiego

Reaction score
I've had the same WIFI problem as discribed here from the day I got the X. My D-Link 615 wireless router works fine for my laptop but the Droid X won't work here at home OR OTHER PLACES! I was referred to Motorola 2 level tech support and they couldn't figure it out. I just got done with them, after 45 minutes on the phone I finally asked for a supervisor who said that they were not aware of ANY wifi problems!!! Need less to say I explained that their were tons of blogs about the problem.

I got it to work by reading one of the posts about a potential conflict with 3G. I turned on the airplane mode and wala -- it works perfectly. What a pain, first I was told that Froyo would solve the problem which it didn't. Although I was thrilled that the Motorola Car Kit (HF850) that worked perfectly with my previous 4 Verizon/Motorola phones started working again when I got the update.

What we got here is failure to communicate. With the 'smartphones' we now have a three ring circus; Verizon sells the phone and provides the network, Motorola makes the phone and does advanced tech support, but Google makes the software. Therefore Google, the people steering the ship are completely disconnected from end user feedback for simple problem fixes and geniune needs. IE Every phone I've had beeps or lets me know that I missed a call or text etc. Now we've gone backwards and they have taken this simple feature away.

kevinkar

Reaction score
I got it to work by reading one of the posts about a potential conflict with 3G. I turned on the airplane mode and wala -- it works perfectly.
I thought Airplane Mode turned off ALL the radios so that you can use the phone to watch movies, listen to tunes, or play games, and not crash the plane. So I'm intrigued that this setting makes your WiFi work!

Ivanhoensandiego

Reaction score
UPDATE: I realized that if I had it in airplane mode my phone wouldn't ring, so I turned off the Airplane mode. I'm not sure why but the WiFi now seems to work fine etc.

kevinkar

Reaction score
UPDATE: I realized that if I had it in airplane mode my phone wouldn't ring, so I turned off the Airplane mode. I'm not sure why but the WiFi now seems to work fine etc.
I think that's the answer right there! Airplane Mode On = all radios off (no reception at all), Airplane Mode Off = all radios on (3G, WiFi, Bluetooth functional). So turning Airplane Mode off means you should be connecting to both 3G and WiFi if available.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Full week working

UPDATE:
I have been having as many problems as anyone here with wifi, both before and after 2.2. I posted that I had changed some router settings, and believe it or not, it has been working great since then.

I went to WPA-PSK (TKIP) and manually set a channel to use instead of the "automatic" setting.
I am still operating at 300 mbps setting which is all N on my router.
I think it was probably setting the channel that did the trick, but I don't know for sure.
Still frustrating

talk2junior

Reaction score
Thanks for the help

Your thread help at least for now. I hope Motorola fixes this minor glitch. I just got my Droid X and so far its been great. I just don't want to have to hear or deal with too many issues considering I'm a novice user to smart phones.