2.2 - Can't Silence Phone

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by terpsnation, Sep 29, 2010.

1. terpsnation

terpsnation New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys,

Was really excited to finally update to Froyo, now with the issues we're getting, not so much.

I just realized that I can no longer silence my phone. Is this a design flaw, or is this how the phone is actually supposed to work? When using the physical volume controls, I can take the phone all the way down to vibrate, but not below that. If I keep holding the volume down button, the thing just keeps vibrating.

I tried the volume controls from the lock screen (swipe screen) and when I do that is says "Sound is OFF" but its really still on vibrate.

Tried a battery pull to no avail. Not really sure what else to do...

Any help?

2. droidman101

droidman101 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok do this:
    Menu>settings>sound>vibrate>never
    As far as I know this is on all froyo phones, an annoying bug/feature google put on it I guess

3. terpsnation

terpsnation New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the fix.

This simply doesn't make sense though. I hope this is a bug that will be fixed in the near future. Almost every modern phone has the sound range: silent, vibrate, low sound > high sound. I like setting my phone to vibrate sometimes, and silent others.

This combined w/ not being able to disable the swipe lock screen when I have key lock on and the text messages not being sorted correctly (not that big of a deal) is making me want desperately to go back to 2.1. I'll gladly give back the performance boost for functionality that makes sense.

4. bkes216

bkes216 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a widget, like the one is Beautiful Widgets, for silencing your phone that works too. I have both the vibrate and silence widgets on one of my home screens for different occasions.

5. terpsnation

terpsnation New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks bkes. Already had Beautiful on my phone, didn't even know there was a vibrate widget that did that :)

I now have my phone set to either sound or silence, then whenever I want to turn vibrate on I just hit the vibrate widget. Not as convenient as pre-2.2 but nevertheless, better than nothing at all.