2.2 - Can't Silence Phone

terpsnation

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Was really excited to finally update to Froyo, now with the issues we're getting, not so much.

I just realized that I can no longer silence my phone. Is this a design flaw, or is this how the phone is actually supposed to work? When using the physical volume controls, I can take the phone all the way down to vibrate, but not below that. If I keep holding the volume down button, the thing just keeps vibrating.

I tried the volume controls from the lock screen (swipe screen) and when I do that is says "Sound is OFF" but its really still on vibrate.

Tried a battery pull to no avail. Not really sure what else to do...

Any help?

droidman101

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Was really excited to finally update to Froyo, now with the issues we're getting, not so much.

I just realized that I can no longer silence my phone. Is this a design flaw, or is this how the phone is actually supposed to work? When using the physical volume controls, I can take the phone all the way down to vibrate, but not below that. If I keep holding the volume down button, the thing just keeps vibrating.

I tried the volume controls from the lock screen (swipe screen) and when I do that is says "Sound is OFF" but its really still on vibrate.

Tried a battery pull to no avail. Not really sure what else to do...

Any help?
Ok do this:
Menu>settings>sound>vibrate>never
As far as I know this is on all froyo phones, an annoying bug/feature google put on it I guess

OP
T

terpsnation

Reaction score
Thanks for the fix.

This simply doesn't make sense though. I hope this is a bug that will be fixed in the near future. Almost every modern phone has the sound range: silent, vibrate, low sound > high sound. I like setting my phone to vibrate sometimes, and silent others.

This combined w/ not being able to disable the swipe lock screen when I have key lock on and the text messages not being sorted correctly (not that big of a deal) is making me want desperately to go back to 2.1. I'll gladly give back the performance boost for functionality that makes sense.

bkes216

Reaction score
If you have a widget, like the one is Beautiful Widgets, for silencing your phone that works too. I have both the vibrate and silence widgets on one of my home screens for different occasions.

OP
T

terpsnation

Reaction score
Thanks bkes. Already had Beautiful on my phone, didn't even know there was a vibrate widget that did that :)

I now have my phone set to either sound or silence, then whenever I want to turn vibrate on I just hit the vibrate widget. Not as convenient as pre-2.2 but nevertheless, better than nothing at all.