1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

2.2-2.1 Help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by wonderwyrm, Dec 15, 2010.

1. wonderwyrm

wonderwyrm New Member

So I know this is not a topic that I should be asking and im sure im going to get some flames for it, however im going to ask anyway.

Right now im running androiid 2.2 on my phone with the bugless beast custom rom. However I despise 2.2 because it makes my phone very sluggish no matter what I do, even with the custom rom and even overclocking.

My question is how would I rollback to 2.1?? Would I just use rsd lite? Do I need to go back to stock 2.2? can I just use sb recovery and install a 2.1 rom?

Im not exactly sure how I would go about going back to 2.1, any help would be appreciated.
  2. droidcruzer

droidcruzer New Member

RSD is the best option. Somewhere on these forums is the link to download the stock sbf file. I think there is even a stock sbf file for 2.2. I have it at home and can upload it somewhere for you later if you want. Or if you already have the older one you can just flash that and then do the OTA updates. Just remember once you do that, you will have to reactivate your phone too. It's not a huge deal, just letting you know that its part of flashing with a stock sbf file.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. wonderwyrm

wonderwyrm New Member

There is a stock ese81 2.1 update.zip file on the links to froyo roms sticky. However, on the droid mod links sticky there is a Deodexed ESE81 Stock 2.1 with root.

Any thoughts on which I should use?

as an edit, I also have rom manager, I would just need to flash the clockworkmod recovery I think, so thats also an option.
    edit of the edit, I also have dmupdater that would let me go to 2.01 no roo, would that let me update to 2.1?
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. droidcruzer

droidcruzer New Member

The first post in this link is the process I use to go back to stock, and it contains the stock images that can be used by RSD.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/37717-unroot-unbrick-using-sbf-post-ikithme.html

I'm not sure what the advantage would be to having a non-rooted deodexed ROM would be, so I'm afraid I won't be much help there. I also would not use a ROM manager to do it at all. I would definitely use RSD to go back to stock. And actually, I wouldn't even use a ROM manager to flash anything (including a custom ROM), I always boot into recovery mode and then just pick the zip file I want to flash inside recovery mode. I've just heard about too many problems with using a ROM manager. I like clockworkmod's recovery console better though over SPRecovery because it allows you to select a zip file where as SPRecovery always has to have it named update.zip.

I actually go through the whole process of going back to stock and re-rooting my phone every time I load a new custom ROM just because I found that after so many flashes of custom ROMs, one on top of another, that there is residual crap that gets left all over the place. Even if I do a wipe data/cache. But that's just me because I like to start with a clean slate. I've found I have so many fewer issues if I do it this way rather than flashing over another custom ROM.
  5. wonderwyrm

wonderwyrm New Member

awesome! thanks a bunch!
  6. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

I've got a question. How long has your phone been rooted with one of the custom recovery images installed? You say you're using ROM Manager with CMRecovery. So did you make a backup of your favorite 2.1 system? I personally have a ton of backups (though I have to xfer them to my pc for space).

I ask all this because I usually go against the current. I will only use RSD Lite with a full .sbf file in an emergency. Why? because there's ton's of other ways to get where you want to be and the others that have posted here have only steered you to basically unrooting your phone while putting it to 2.1/Eclair. And unrooting and rerooting between rom installs? Not needed. I thought I was bad.

Anyways, here's how I would do it if I had a 2.1 backup on my sdcard in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup. Make a current backup, then boot manually into CMRecovery. Then from there do a factory data reset and then go to the partitions menu and format /system. Then go to the nandroid menu and restore your 2.1 backup.

Now, if you don't have your favorite 2.1 backup, my folder below has a ton of old roms. And then the procedure above only changes from the last sentence above. Instead of restoring, you then (after putting one of those rom's on your sdcard) select "install rom from sdcard".

Any more questions, just go ahead and ask, though I'm not as quick on answers as most, I try to be more complete.

good luck
  7. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    I personally won't flame you but I have to ask if you've tried any other ROMs because not every ROM works on every phone.