Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rooted and keeping it that way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't rooted yet as I don't have a need. I'm not going to do it "just because I can." For example, I don't need WiFi tethering because in my normal life I am never near a WiFi spot. And even so, I have nothing to tether it to.

That being said, this does not mean I will never root. I probably will after the update.

crspang

Reaction score
I haven't rooted yet as I don't have a need. I'm not going to do it "just because I can." For example, I don't need WiFi tethering because in my normal life I am never near a WiFi spot. And even so, I have nothing to tether it to.

That being said, this does not mean I will never root. I probably will after the update.

If you're never near a Wifi spot then that is why you would need WiFi tethering. Of course you would still need a computer to tether it to.

Mojo

Reaction score
Keeping mine rooted... I rooted to add functionality a stock ROM cannot do... simply put wifi tether the ability to customize everything. To make my phone one of a kind. Devs will root and build off the official. Just as they did with 2.0.1

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Keeping mine rooted, wife's stock.
Side by side comparison will be nice.
Sure hope I will be able to root hers soon after, if the OTA is lacking. I would never hear the end of it!

Most Excellent! :icon_ banana:

Please make a new thread on your observations.

ipawd1

Reaction score
I'm rooted, but using the stock look with the Helixlauncher. I dont need nothing extra and flashy. Long as my phone works. I got apps for the extra things.

Plus I got over the "smokin glass" hting. Kind of missed the white and grey.

c_mack9

Reaction score
i just rooted my phone and used ultimatedroid 7.8 for my first custom ROM yesterday. as soon as i got it done i saw 2.1 would be out thursday. oh well. ill keep what i got until they get creative with 2.1

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ill unroot and get their 2.1 if Flash was built in... untill then Im flying high with my Ultimate 6.7 overclocked-can-do-all-that-the-update-can (plus more) motorola droid...

clucernoni

Reaction score
there is no reason to get the OTA if you are running one of the 2.1 ROMs already. If anything I would say the ROMs are just as stable on most phones with added functionality.

baniels

Reaction score
I'm going to stay rooted for the time being. If I do go back to stock to get the update I will not be doing so until I hear that people are actually getting the OTA. At that point, I will consider it further.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

If you're never near a Wifi spot then that is why you would need WiFi tethering. Of course you would still need a computer to tether it to.

I found this silly also?! I mean I tether on 3G if I have no connection, but yes, you need a computer to tether. Whhhaaaaaa?

Also, keep in mind this is not the only reason to root, yes you can tether but i hardly ever do that, its mostly for the 3d gallery, overclocking speed, editable-everyhting, getting rid of ads forever, and basically being able to do anyhting with your phone. Oh, and that cool spinning galaxy background, ha.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

OK, looking at Is Your Mobile Ready for Wi-Fi Tethering? My Techbox :

Wi-Fi Tethering means users can share their mobile phone’s 3G internet connection with external devices like laptops over Wi-Fi.

I had it reversed. I thought you used the Droid to serve as an WiFi antenna for a laptop that didn't have that. In other words, you'd go to Starbucks, link the Droid to their Wifi then connect your laptop to the Droid. Now I see it's more of a 3G/Wifi converter. Still, there's no need for me. In the first place, I don't have that many areas with a good 3G network. 3G is fine at work and at my parent's house, but I get 1X if I'm lucky at home. In the second place, I ain't got a laptop so there's nothing to connect it to.

Reaction score
My droid prefers to keep root, its much happier this way due to pete feeding it with updates =)