2.1 Update 1 - Question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Bukada, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Bukada

Bukada New Member

Hello everyone..
    Just got a Motorola Droid from Verizon 3 days ago ...
    Firmware Version shows as "2.1-update1"

Can this be rooted? If so.. what is the best method for me to use?

I had an HTC eris and rooted it.. I'm new to the Moto Droid ways of rooting.. any help would be great..
    and yes.. i have read the forums and I did google it...
    I see or what seems to be.. Several methods.. so I am a little confused
    Thanks in advanced
  2. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Yes it can be rooted. Read the 1st link in my signature, post 13.

The 3rd link may come in handy if you have issues installing rsd lite.

Basically:

1 - install rsd lite
    2 - flash sprecovery (an alternative boot-recovery program)
    3 - backup your current setup. Always backup before applying roms or themes
    4 - apply the rom of your choice

Welcome aboard, let the fun begin!
  3. Bukada

Bukada New Member

Thanks.. fast.. simple.. Running 2.2 now ... Thanks for the help

One more thing.... In the future.. Will we always have to rename ROMs to "update.zip" or will we eventually be able to select the zip files we have on our sd card?
  4. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

you can install an app from the market called ROM Manager, which gives you access to many ROMs, but also installs a different recovery called clockworkmod recovery which does just what you said. It has problems every once in a while, but when it doesn't it is a great recovery.
  5. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

glad you found it so easy!

As Tank said, RM does that, and it isn't so much that it doesn't work from time to time, it has been known to sernd your phone into bootloops and panic for the phone user, as attested to in numerous threads. It always works out in the end, its just that you can get sidetracked fixing your phone for hours when it does act up until you find the solution. However, for many others it seems to be fine and they have no issues.

SPRecovery has a couple install methods. The file you applied used the update.zip method. That will always work that way. I just keep those update.zip type files in an updatezip folder and copy/rename them as need be. When you make your own backup you can call it whatever you want and do a nandroid restore with the same file name.

• /sdcard/nandroid/updatezip/ ....contains various update.zip files with their original name.
      I can just copy any of them to the root of my card, delete the current update.zip and rename what I just copied to update.zip
    • /sdcard/nanadroid/rom_name_version_number_yyymmdd
      is how I name all my backups. ie: ss4.2_20100628 or sg6.1_20100615
      that way I can easily find them.
    dmupdater is another way, a bunch of folks use, to apply roms.

I've always preferred the manual SPRecovery method but I don't swap roms in and out on a constant basis either.
  6. knoutay

knoutay New Member

trying to root my droid 2.1-update1 and having a headache!!!

Question- My co-worker has an engineering sample Droid with bootloader 2C.6C and RSDLite is unable to see the device preventing me from flashing Android 2.0.1. Any advice?

Answer for above-You need to reinstall the drivers then and plug the phone in in bootloader mode (holding down power and Up on the DPad then let go). When you do that for the first time, your computer should say installing drivers if you installed the motorola consumer driver program first.

Question- how do you reinstall the drivers

after installing the motorola driver installation it ask if you wanna repair motorola installation driver 4.2.0 or remove mortorola installation driver 4.2.0 which one do i chose??? and also when i open rsd lite its does not show run as admin or show trouble shoot… my device dont show up on device properties it only shows where it says status… and when i click start to start the sbf file it failed on me… can anyone help???
Search tags for this page
can firmware 2.1-update1 be rooted
firmware version 2.1-update 1

firmware version 2.1-update1