2.1 to Froyo 2.2 w/ P3D Kernel

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jbdavies, Jul 16, 2010.

1. jbdavies

jbdavies Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok... so I finally took the plunge and rooted my Droid without too much hassle. Then, after reading and reading posts after posts I figured I had it pretty much figured out how to update from 2.1 to Froyo 2.2.

I followed the instructions the best of my ability, installed it, rebooted, went into the About Phone area and it said I had 2.2. Wonderful. But... there were only 2 things that I noticed that changed. The fact that it said 2.2 and that setCPU was able to go up to 600 instead of 550. Nothing else changed, not even the theme.

So then I decided to try and install one of P3D's kernel things. I did the Kernels for (Froyo) Android 2.2 Only *Low Voltage* 1100. Followed the instructions on his site, rebooted and it seemed to go fine. Till it restarted and I got stuck in the booting sequence.

So, basically what I'm saying... is I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Haha. Also, I've read on two different forums that had instructions that kind of contradict each other. I know this isn't for the "every day user" stuff... but I know that once I do it (correctly) one time... I'll be able to get it the rest of the times.

So, any help from you guys? Step by step instructions would be great... for 2.2 and a new kernel. Haha.

Sorry for the long post...

2. csphokie

csphokie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You will probably want to try a lower speed kernal or a higher voltage kernal

My phone doesn't play nice with anything low voltage over 900 mhz. If I want to go to 1000 I need a Medium voltage.

Kind of jealous of all the guys on here running ultra low voltage at 1.2.

Good luck.

A tip I finally started doing. I download all the kernals a devloper makes and put them on a folder on my card. That way if one doesn't work, I can just boot into recovery and install a different one.

3. jbdavies

jbdavies Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ew, really? That's higher than the stock!! That can't be fun. How many batteries do you keep with you? Haha.

That's a good idea about all the kernels. :) I might try that.

Does anyone know why when I was supposedly at 2.2... my theme/look/design/whatever didn't change any?

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    That only happens if you install a Custom ROM. If you use a Dock however you will see a change in the way that looks from 2.1

5. csphokie

csphokie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did notice an improved battery life running with low voltage at 800. I'm currently using Medium voltage at 1000 and the battery life is a little worse, but it still gets me thru the day (in a building with horrible signal and spotty 3G coverage).

6. jbdavies

jbdavies Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Oooooh. Well damn. I should have recovered to that backup then. Haha.

Ooooooh! Sorry... I thought you meant the "underclock" thingy was set at 900. Haha. Ok. I get it. :)

Search tags for this page

download kernel for android 2.1