2.1 to 2.2 Rom?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by xRITE AIDEx, Jun 5, 2010.

1. xRITE AIDEx

xRITE AIDEx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I searched really hard but I just figured I would make a thread.

Ok I did the manual update back when 2.1 came out now that theres a 2.2 rom out I'm looking to root my droid finally, so please help? I know that the rooting has changed with 2.1 but any help would be very useful. thank you a bunch!

2. Kmart95

Kmart95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. xRITE AIDEx

xRITE AIDEx Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. techRob

techRob Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Having a stock 2.1 rom, this is the method i used to root my phone:
    How-To Root your stock 2.1 Droid
    Just follow the instructions carefully, and it'll be a breeze :)

(i'm assuming you have an unrooted phone running 2.1 - if it hasn't been rooted, it's a pretty safe assumption) ;)

5. ljprevo

ljprevo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If we root the stock 2.1, will we be able to upgrade to 2.2 OTA? If so will it stay as root or will it revert back to non-root?

6. xRITE AIDEx

xRITE AIDEx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok well problem is is that back when 2. 1 Came out i dled it manually now i followed through all of the page you sent me and now the terminal emulator wont work as in when i do the su part nothing pops up!

Edit: i just did the su and it says its not permitted and even when i did reboot is said it wouldnt. Ugh im getting tired of trying

#6 xRITE AIDEx, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  7. techRob

techRob Member

Ratings:
    +1
    @ljprevo - My guess is yes. But, my understanding is that you'd have to revert back to your "stock 2.1" setup before hand, and again, my understanding is that you will lose root until someone puts out a rom of some sort for it (which technically a "nandroid backup" of 2.2 has already been posted) - so i can't see the official 2.2 taking long to get root.

@xRITE AIDEx - (apologies if this comes across short / rude, not my intention in the least) .. The guide i linked to was for a non-rooted, 2.1 phone. Is that what you had? If nothing happens when you type "su" in the terminal emulator, I believe that means root was not (successfully) installed. You said that you "manually downloaded" 2.1 - can you elaborate for me please? (I've only been messing with my phone for a couple weeks)

I'm hoping someone can throw in their two cents on this. I was running a stock 2.1 phone when I used the manual that I linked to. If your phone wasn't a stock 2.1, maybe try to find a way to get it there first(?).

8. pigpen

pigpen Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Back when verizon was getting ready to push 2.1 to our phones, someone posted a link to google for the manual update, so basically some of us grabbed the new 2.1 stable a couple of days ahead of the scheduled Verizon push. This is how i updated my phone, so no, if you grabbed the manual download, you are not rooted. At that point 2.1 was not rooted, and a couple of days after the release, the sbf method of going back to 2.0.1, and then obtaining root was published. So still, in order to get to 2.1 rooted, you must go back to 2.0.1 and root, and then go forward to 2.1 root per the instructions posted above.

I am still on stock 2.1. No root.

9. captaincanada84

Ratings:
    +0
  10. pigpen

pigpen Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well there ya have it, i stand corrected. So that at least is how the whole process has evolved, and you have a couple of guides to look at.

11. xRITE AIDEx

xRITE AIDEx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok ill have to try that link when i can because im traveling but im happy someone clarrified that i dont need to go back to 2.0.1 hopefully i get it right later on tonight, thanks for the continued help

12. captaincanada84

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, its really not that difficult with those instructions i linked to. dancedroid