2.1 Rooted & want to go to 2.2 rooted/no ROM

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by pudah, Aug 15, 2010.

1. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all... please forgive any repetition found in this thread. I'm sure all parts of what I'm asking have been covered at one point or another in many other threads, but I'm trying to get some simple suggestions, and maybe a simple 1 stop guide in this thread for myself and people like me, so please refrain from flaming, and thanks in advance for the help.

I was pretty active in here and with modding my phone. I rooted with 2.0 and played around until 2.1 came out. I added SPRecovery, and Pete's ESE81 ROM with an Adamz Kernel for overclocking. I also added Helix Launcher and had everything I wanted/needed, so I didn't need to tinker much and fell out of the loop, and have forgotten a lot of what I did. Well now 2.2 is here and I want to have Flash, and I kind of want to get back to a stock ROMless world. Ideally I'd like to get the 2.2 update, then the flash update, and do a simple ROOT and end up with an otherwise stock 2.2 that is Rooted, SPRecovery added, maybe a Kernel for overclocking, Wifi thethering, Busybox, PDANet, etc., and call it a day.

Is 2.2 rooted yet, or is it like 2.1 where you can update to a ROM that has all of the features of 2.2? If so, how can I go what I described? I need to get back to a state where I can accept the 2.2 update, then root 2.2, etc. Any suggestions for making this happen smoothly?

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    You can get the stock 2.2 ROM and keep root. Follow this link here:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...es-frg01b-official-get-here-6.html#post713153

Courtesy of Jrummy. It's what I'm running.

3. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks... but isn't this what I wasn't looking for, or am I wrong? I dont want to install a ROM or a package of 2.2 applications assembled from leaks, etc. that mimic the OTA 2.2 update. At least in my experiences with other versions of those you can get about 90-95% of the way there, but ultimately there is always a bug here or there that annoys me.

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    This is not a leak, it is the genuine signed update from Verizon. Jrummy just set it up so that it won't take your root out when you upload it. Unless you want to lose root, then just upload the update on page 1 same thread.

5. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0

Ill give it a shot. Do you happen to know if I'll need to add a kernel for wifi tethering, and if I'll be able to add the flash update when it comes or if I'll lose everything again when that update comes out?

#5 pudah, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  6. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean. I used to be stock 2.1 rooted, and the way i did that was to add sprecovery, and then just install an update that was 500KB that simply added root access, so that way i still had the official plain old stock 2.1 os, instead of installing a much larger hundred something MB file that was a full stock 2.1 rom with root. I don't know if there is really a difference, but i felt better just adding root to what i already had out of the box.

So I tried to figure out a way to get a plain nonrooted froyo that i could just add root to like i did with 2.1. Unfortunately i don't think there is an especially easy way of doing this (there are ways, but none that i wanted to go through the hassle of doing), so I used the stock froyo rooted rom on that link that was provided for you. I think the file is on page 6.

I explained my process of how i installed it and backed up my apps and settings on this thread... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-2-1-stock-rooted-updating-2-2-questions.html

And i have to say i haven't had a single problem with it. Everything is running great, i'm still rooted, and i'm glad i upgraded to froyo :) The stock kernel does work with wifi tether (i checked before i switched the kernel), and it also allows you to overclock up to 800MHz. As far as flash, i think you can download a flash beta that will work. But honestly, i don't care too much about flash so i haven't tried to download or use it. Also, from what i've read, Verizon is supposed to release another update shortly(most likely the FRG22 build) that will allow you download flash 10.1 from the market. But when that happens, i'll worry about how to upgrade to that. But for now, i'm happy with my stock rooted froyo :)

7. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    No you do Not need a kernel for wifi. This is not a leak. If you are rooted now you will stay rooted while running the stock 2.2 FRG01B.

8. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks. I tried it and it works fine. I didnt lose data which was nice, but since I was running Helix Launcher, and now I don't need to, I had to set up all of my screens, folders, etc. again. Hopefully the next update allowing Flash can be added without losing data/settings so I don't have to do that all over again. I do want Flash, so that is definitely going to be something I'll need to figure out.

9. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sync is not working... it says it is down, so I assume it wasnt this update. Is anyone else having trouble with it right now?

10. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I used the update at the top myself to do the same as the OP. But I found that WiFi was sketchy and it seemed to lag more. I'm waiting for the second VZW FW release.

11. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    Sync has been up and down all evening.

12. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK. Things are working fine except when the phone is sleeping and I unlock it (I use the unlock pattern) it takes way too long for my icons to appear. It shows a blank background, then after about 10 seconds the icons appear, then I have to wait a few more seconds for things to be responsive. I removed SetCPU just so I am running stock, as intended, so it's not that I have something set too slow (I could overclock to speed things up, but it shouldnt be this bad). I used to have Helix Launcher, but I uninstalled it from the applications list. I read somewhere about removing or renaming the launcher/launcher2.apk in system/app folder. I only see Launcher2.apk and when I try to do it in terminal emulator it says it can't be found. When I do it in Anstro or Root explorer I am told it is read only and I can't delete it because of that. Any suggestions? Is this normal for 2.2?